NealandCari

Tesco coming to the US

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Bizarre. I guess we were just lucky in Texas then. :lol: Lucky in Texas...that's stating the obvious. :hehe:

If you live in Austin, that's generally a more cosmopolitan place than 99% of America.

Eh...I lived in Austin from 1993-1997 (student days) and again 1999-2001, and I have to say it has gotten very self-consciously hip and the cool vibe of the city has been replaced by something completely fake and manufactured. It's just not the same. Dallas is and always has been more cosmopolitan than Austin, and its willingness to embrace its shallow materialism is actually very refreshing. Plus, it's not a tourist trap and the business convention people never know where the hip and trendy parts are (and those DO exist, in spades) so we have the city to ourselves. It's great. In Austin you're always dodging a$$holes with bongs, Jello dreds, and hemp sandals wearing Che Guevara t-shirts...and they all think they're ORIGINAL. Screw that. :lol: Austin does have a few things on Dallas, though....it has beautiful parks, it has the capitol building, it has my alma mater (UT-Austin), and it has jaw-dropping scenery. Dallas is flat and featureless. :crying:

Well yes, indeed. I've never lived anywhere in the USA that had more than that though. Clearly Indian populations are higher in some parts of America than others. My sister in law lives in the South Bay Area and she's tripping over Indian restaurants.

Lucky her! 20 years ago in D if you wanted Indian food, you only had a handful of options. Thanks to all the Indian IT workers who flooded into Texas in the 1990s, there are now lots of Indian restaurants and grocery stores around. The great thing about Dallas is you can get pretty much any kind of food you like. When I lived there I recall going out for Ethiopian, Romanian, French, Brazilian, and Cuban food...all in the same week. Can't beat Dallas for eating out. It has more restaurants per capita than any city in America.

BTW - yes York isn't exactly well know for its quality Indian food. If you're talking Yorkshire though, Bradford - yummy!!!

Yeah, we're not spoiled for choice in York I'm afraid. It's not a great city for dining out. Jaipur Spice is a good Indian place that is incredibly unique in that it has a free parking lot. Woooo! There are a couple of other good ones around too but you do have to be VERY choosy. :wacko:

On the flip side of this, the UK doesn't offer the variety of restaurants and take outs. I can call in an order for the two of us and pick it up on the way in from work, with a whopping 5-10 minutes of my time.

That depends where you live surely? Where I lived in the UK before coming over here had a great variety of restaurants and take outs, not really any worse than anywhere I've lived in the USA.

Where I live right now I basically have the choice of pizza or chinese for take out/delivery.

It does depend. I bet in London you can get any kind of takeaway you want. In York you're limited to pizza, chinese, curries, and kebabs. :cry:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This news about Tesco is very exciting to me! Not so much having the frozen ready meals, but having choices that are more healthy, and with an emphasis on no preservatives, no trans fat, etc.

I'm really looking forward to it - but doubt we will see any in our area either. :( But you never know - one article I read said they are also looking at areas that have become "food deserts" where large chain stores have pulled out. That could apply to some of the South Eastern Michigan area which would be very cool.

~Liza

10 Year Green Card Holder Since July 2009 --- Thank you Visa Journey!!! :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.