CA1515

2017 Mexico I-601a waiver processing time

764 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
13 hours ago, Diana S said:

Hello, 

Our interview was on a Tuesday. We arrive the Thursday before. We had the medical exam on Friday @ 10A, make sure you do it before 3P so you can get your results the same day, if you don't it's okay you can pick them up the next day (takes about 3 hrs).

Fingerprints were done at the Centro de Atencion al Solicitante, it took us less than 30 mins. This is the place you will pick up your final package. Make sure you are constantly checking your email address. They will send you an email letting you know you are ready to pick up your packet, it comes with a tracking number. Make sure you write it down and take it with you inside. They no longer send the package through DHL because it takes longer. They told us it would take about 3 business days. So on Tuesday we had the interview (took about 3 hours, the actual interview it's self was less than 5-10 mins.)  Friday we received the email to pick it up. Just make sure you selected to pick up your package at Centro de Atencion al Solicitante. I know some people where freaking out and choosing a DHL near their home towns. 

Good Luck! I am happy to answer any questions you have :)

Diana,

All this information is very informative and gives me (and others) and clear path towards the final hurdle.  

Going off this info you've provided, I'm planning the following:

1) Wednesday -  Arrive in Juarez, check into hotel.

2)Thursday - Medical appointment (as early as 6 am) for same day results.  Will try to get fingerprints done at Centro de Atencion al Solitante that morning while waiting for Medical exam result package.

3) Friday -  Will be our extra day to get medical/fingerprints done JUST IN CASE anything goes wrong on Thursday , example "Oh, our computer systems are down today, come back tomorrow".

4) Sat and Sunday - Twiddle our thumbs for awhile and binge watch Netflix.

5) Monday -  Consulate interview

6) Sometime later in the week, hopefully as early as Wednesday, receive email confirmation from CAS that visa package has arrived and pickup to leave Juarez immediately.

With a lot planning and going over the paperwork dozens of times, I'm confident now this will go as planned.  

More questions, if you don't mind

What hotel you stayed at near the Consulate? there are several choices and I don't mind spending a little extra to be more comfortable.  

Which medical office did you choose for the exam?  And what was the cost?

How much was the cost of the fingerprints at the CAS?

While staying in Juarez, did you and your spouse keep your information packed in your belongings at the hotel, or did you keep them with you at all times?

Overall, what was your experience like in Juarez?  Did you encounter any troubles during your visit to the area?  I'm sure all will be fine, but the fact that we will be carrying with us all this valuable information makes me a bit edgy as I won't risk leaving our personal papers in the hotel.

A lot of questions, I know, but I pretty consider these the crossing of the Ts and dotting of the Is of the Juarez trip.  Thank you so much for your response, very very helpful.

Timeline
17 hours ago, ICM said:

Hello we are going to send our ds 260 and the civil documents with sponsership documents next tuesday has anybody sent their documents recently how long after sending all of those documents is it taking to get an appt in cd juarez?

Thanks

If I remember correctly, you had your I-601a approved awhile back, but your attorney didn't bother to complete the Visa application while you were waiting for I601a approval.

Well, it's probably going to take the NVC up to three months to process all your information and will come to the conclusion that you have all the paperwork in order.  The NVC will send you and email stating that they will schedule your Consulate appointment, but they won't say exactly when yet.  The waiting of the appointment could take up to another three months.  In our case, it took a month and a half.  The appointment will be scheduled a month in advance to give you travel prep time to Juarez.  So, if everything is complete in your Visa application and AOS, I'm guessing your Consulate interview to be by the end of this year.  October-December.  Don't take my word as the gospel, it's just my educated guess.

However, if the NVC is missing something, this will delay the process at least another month or two.  In my case, I was missing the Mexico Police Clearance.  It took me two weeks to get the Police certificate before I UPSed it the NVC.  There it waited in line and delayed our case by at least two months.  So...better check it's all there and everything is complete, don't assume everything will be okay if the NVC doesn't receive this item or that item on your checklist.  

Best of luck

Timeline
8 hours ago, Mansini77 said:

If I remember correctly, you had your I-601a approved awhile back, but your attorney didn't bother to complete the Visa application while you were waiting for I601a approval.

Well, it's probably going to take the NVC up to three months to process all your information and will come to the conclusion that you have all the paperwork in order.  The NVC will send you and email stating that they will schedule your Consulate appointment, but they won't say exactly when yet.  The waiting of the appointment could take up to another three months.  In our case, it took a month and a half.  The appointment will be scheduled a month in advance to give you travel prep time to Juarez.  So, if everything is complete in your Visa application and AOS, I'm guessing your Consulate interview to be by the end of this year.  October-December.  Don't take my word as the gospel, it's just my educated guess.

However, if the NVC is missing something, this will delay the process at least another month or two.  In my case, I was missing the Mexico Police Clearance.  It took me two weeks to get the Police certificate before I UPSed it the NVC.  There it waited in line and delayed our case by at least two months.  So...better check it's all there and everything is complete, don't assume everything will be okay if the NVC doesn't receive this item or that item on your checklist.  

Best of luck

😔I was hoping August Thanks 

10 hours ago, Mansini77 said:

Diana,

All this information is very informative and gives me (and others) and clear path towards the final hurdle.  

Going off this info you've provided, I'm planning the following:

1) Wednesday -  Arrive in Juarez, check into hotel.

2)Thursday - Medical appointment (as early as 6 am) for same day results.  Will try to get fingerprints done at Centro de Atencion al Solitante that morning while waiting for Medical exam result package.

3) Friday -  Will be our extra day to get medical/fingerprints done JUST IN CASE anything goes wrong on Thursday , example "Oh, our computer systems are down today, come back tomorrow".

4) Sat and Sunday - Twiddle our thumbs for awhile and binge watch Netflix.

5) Monday -  Consulate interview

6) Sometime later in the week, hopefully as early as Wednesday, receive email confirmation from CAS that visa package has arrived and pickup to leave Juarez immediately.

With a lot planning and going over the paperwork dozens of times, I'm confident now this will go as planned.  

More questions, if you don't mind

What hotel you stayed at near the Consulate? there are several choices and I don't mind spending a little extra to be more comfortable.  

Which medical office did you choose for the exam?  And what was the cost?

How much was the cost of the fingerprints at the CAS?

While staying in Juarez, did you and your spouse keep your information packed in your belongings at the hotel, or did you keep them with you at all times?

Overall, what was your experience like in Juarez?  Did you encounter any troubles during your visit to the area?  I'm sure all will be fine, but the fact that we will be carrying with us all this valuable information makes me a bit edgy as I won't risk leaving our personal papers in the hotel.

A lot of questions, I know, but I pretty consider these the crossing of the Ts and dotting of the Is of the Juarez trip.  Thank you so much for your response, very very helpful.

1. We stayed at Hotel City Express Junior, it was pretty good. The price was not bad about $60-$70 a night. It's a calm hotel, have security outside, and clean. Total was $650.00

2. For the Medical we went to SMF (https://www.smf.com.mx/). It depends on how many vaccines they need to get, on the website there is a chart to guide you on the vaccines you might need by age. For my husband it was $410.00. There is another medical office but I think this is the one mostly everyone goes to. 

3. There was no cost at the fingerprints. 

4. The hotel was pretty safe and cleaning personnel were very nice and honest people. We always left our documents in our suit case. (but it's up to you how comfortable you feel to do so)

5. I would say it went pretty good. We saw no trouble, this area around the consulate is very safe and guarded I would say. You always see security around. Now, if you want to go to downtown, that's were you need to be more careful. We didn't see trouble in downtown but we heard it's where we should be the most careful. There are lots of restaurants around and a mall across the street from the hotel we stayed at. All of the office are super close, we hardly even had to drive. There is a bridge in front of this hotel to cross you over to the medical office, consulate and the CAS. 

Don't be nervous in your interview, I know it's not easy but everything will be fine. As long as you have all your documents, you should be good to go.

Don't worry about asking a lot of questions. This is a very stressful trip for some and it is always best if you have an idea of what to expect!

Good Luck!

HI EVERYONE ! I received this Email this morning, but it didn’t say anything to send : 

Dear , blank

We reviewed the documents you submitted to us. This letter has a list of documents that are missing or that need additional information. Please review the instructions on the attached pages.
The instructions will ask you to either:
 Send the missing or corrected items to the applicant so he or she can take them to the visa interview;
or
 Send the missing or corrected items to the National Visa Center (NVC) and include a copy of the
Case Number Barcode Cover Sheet. Clearly write your case number Cxxxxxxxxx on the upper right-hand corner of every document you send. After we receive and review the requested information, we will let you know the status of your case. For current processing times, please visit our website at nvc.state.gov/submit (English) or nvc.state.gov/enviar/espanol (Spanish).
If you have any questions about this letter, please visit our website at nvc.state.gov/ask (English) or nvc.state.gov/ask/espanol (Spanish).

6 hours ago, mommyo2life said:

HI EVERYONE ! I received this Email this morning, but it didn’t say anything to send : 

Dear , blank

We reviewed the documents you submitted to us. This letter has a list of documents that are missing or that need additional information. Please review the instructions on the attached pages.
The instructions will ask you to either:
 Send the missing or corrected items to the applicant so he or she can take them to the visa interview;
or
 Send the missing or corrected items to the National Visa Center (NVC) and include a copy of the
Case Number Barcode Cover Sheet. Clearly write your case number Cxxxxxxxxx on the upper right-hand corner of every document you send. After we receive and review the requested information, we will let you know the status of your case. For current processing times, please visit our website at nvc.state.gov/submit (English) or nvc.state.gov/enviar/espanol (Spanish).
If you have any questions about this letter, please visit our website at nvc.state.gov/ask (English) or nvc.state.gov/ask/espanol (Spanish).

Perhaps the instructions were attached as a separate file like a PDF. 

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 3/13/2018 at 7:27 AM, Diana S said:

Hello, 

Our interview was on a Tuesday. We arrive the Thursday before. We had the medical exam on Friday @ 10A, make sure you do it before 3P so you can get your results the same day, if you don't it's okay you can pick them up the next day (takes about 3 hrs).

Fingerprints were done at the Centro de Atencion al Solicitante, it took us less than 30 mins. This is the place you will pick up your final package. Make sure you are constantly checking your email address. They will send you an email letting you know you are ready to pick up your packet, it comes with a tracking number. Make sure you write it down and take it with you inside. They no longer send the package through DHL because it takes longer. They told us it would take about 3 business days. So on Tuesday we had the interview (took about 3 hours, the actual interview it's self was less than 5-10 mins.)  Friday we received the email to pick it up. Just make sure you selected to pick up your package at Centro de Atencion al Solicitante. I know some people where freaking out and choosing a DHL near their home towns. 

Good Luck! I am happy to answer any questions you have :)

Congratz!! How Many days did you stay, and how much money did you spend. How did you do with plane tickets did you buy them ground trip or one way?? (I heard they are not expensive one way)

Thanks so much!!!

I am about to send the i864 and all civil documents to NVC. Just want to make sure, but is our checklist we get from nvc suppose to have an x indicating what we need to send in? I am not referring to marking an x to indicate what we submit, but an actual checked list from nvc.  I remember reading somewhere on here that NVC indicates what it needs. 

Everything I am sending in is my Birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, proof of domicile, my wifes  (petitoner) birth certificate to prove USC and all financial info pay stubs w2s irs transcripts for the i864. 

Edited by jhigareda41

Timeline
13 hours ago, jhigareda41 said:

I am about to send the i864 and all civil documents to NVC. Just want to make sure, but is our checklist we get from nvc suppose to have an x indicating what we need to send in? I am not referring to marking an x to indicate what we submit, but an actual checked list from nvc.  I remember reading somewhere on here that NVC indicates what it needs. 

Everything I am sending in is my Birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, proof of domicile, my wifes  (petitoner) birth certificate to prove USC and all financial info pay stubs w2s irs transcripts for the i864. 

What is your country of origin?  NVC will want any papers that are not in English translated.  And you also might need a police certificate from your home country.  

Everything else you've listed looks correct though.

Timeline
On 3/14/2018 at 9:01 AM, Diana S said:

1. We stayed at Hotel City Express Junior, it was pretty good. The price was not bad about $60-$70 a night. It's a calm hotel, have security outside, and clean. Total was $650.00

2. For the Medical we went to SMF (https://www.smf.com.mx/). It depends on how many vaccines they need to get, on the website there is a chart to guide you on the vaccines you might need by age. For my husband it was $410.00. There is another medical office but I think this is the one mostly everyone goes to. 

3. There was no cost at the fingerprints. 

4. The hotel was pretty safe and cleaning personnel were very nice and honest people. We always left our documents in our suit case. (but it's up to you how comfortable you feel to do so)

5. I would say it went pretty good. We saw no trouble, this area around the consulate is very safe and guarded I would say. You always see security around. Now, if you want to go to downtown, that's were you need to be more careful. We didn't see trouble in downtown but we heard it's where we should be the most careful. There are lots of restaurants around and a mall across the street from the hotel we stayed at. All of the office are super close, we hardly even had to drive. There is a bridge in front of this hotel to cross you over to the medical office, consulate and the CAS. 

Don't be nervous in your interview, I know it's not easy but everything will be fine. As long as you have all your documents, you should be good to go.

Don't worry about asking a lot of questions. This is a very stressful trip for some and it is always best if you have an idea of what to expect!

Good Luck!

Thank you again for the great in depth information.  I'll look more into the details of the surrounding hotels and the reviews given by visitors on Expedia and Hotels websites.

Couple more questions:

1) Were you able to use your cellphone in Juarez?  I'm thinking yes since Juarez is so close to El Paso, but I just don't want to make that assumption.  My spouse and I will need a reliable communication link since I won't be able to stay with her the entire time of the process(I own my business and can't take personal days sadly).

2) Did you fly or drive into Juarez?  We live in Colorado, and Juarez is a nine hour drive from where we live.  Flying is a possibility, but the cost of doing so will be very high, either into Juarez or El Paso.

3) We do have children, two born here in the US with US birth certificates and passports.  Our lawyer advised us to bring their original birth certificates to the interview.  Personally, I think that is a bit overkill, but I'm in no position to question his expertise.  I'm thinking of making copies of the their birth certificates instead.  Your thoughts?

4) Were you also a 601a applicant?  If so, how did that affect the interview questioning?

Thank you so much again for your time.

35 minutes ago, Mansini77 said:

What is your country of origin?  NVC will want any papers that are not in English translated.  And you also might need a police certificate from your home country.  

Everything else you've listed looks correct though.

I am from Mexico. I have all documents translated in English already :)! 

I was brought to the states at the age of 2, and have school documentation proving it as far back as pre school. According to the NVC instructions I don't need a police certificate since I have been here all this time, correct ? I was planning on showing all my school evidence to the consulate.

Timeline
8 hours ago, jhigareda41 said:

I am from Mexico. I have all documents translated in English already :)! 

I was brought to the states at the age of 2, and have school documentation proving it as far back as pre school. According to the NVC instructions I don't need a police certificate since I have been here all this time, correct ? I was planning on showing all my school evidence to the consulate.

Correct, since you came here at such a young age, you won't need a police certificate.  With that not needed, looks like you are in the clear for the NVC processing your case.  It wouldn't hurt to send the NVC copies of your school evidence as well.  When it comes to the NVC, it's better safe than sorry.

On 3/15/2018 at 6:02 PM, jhigareda41 said:

Perhaps the instructions were attached as a separate file like a PDF. 

Well I saw this at the very end of my email : did anyone else get this? It said instructions for Blank _____ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
______FORM I-601A REQUEST FOR WAIVER OF UNLAWFUL PRESENC:__________
The National Visa Center (NVC) received notice that you applied for a Provisional Waiver of Inadmissibility by filing Form I-601A with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). NVC is waiting for a decision from USCIS on your waiver application. USCIS will inform you and NVC when they reach a decision. At that time, if you have submitted all of the forms, documents, and fee payments requested by NVC, your consular interview can be scheduled. NVC will notify you of the date and time of your interview when it has been scheduled.
If you have questions concerning the status of your I-601A waiver application, please contact USCIS at 1-800-375-5283.

Timeline
14 hours ago, mommyo2life said:

Well I saw this at the very end of my email : did anyone else get this? It said instructions for Blank _____ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
______FORM I-601A REQUEST FOR WAIVER OF UNLAWFUL PRESENC:__________
The National Visa Center (NVC) received notice that you applied for a Provisional Waiver of Inadmissibility by filing Form I-601A with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). NVC is waiting for a decision from USCIS on your waiver application. USCIS will inform you and NVC when they reach a decision. At that time, if you have submitted all of the forms, documents, and fee payments requested by NVC, your consular interview can be scheduled. NVC will notify you of the date and time of your interview when it has been scheduled.
If you have questions concerning the status of your I-601A waiver application, please contact USCIS at 1-800-375-5283.

It looks as if the NVC has processed your case, but is still waiting for the USCIS to approve your I-601a.  So, you don't have to do anything for the time being.  Don't bother checking online for the status of the waiver, it will come to you by mail.  

Edited by Mansini77
I pressed the wrong key on my keyboard...it happens.

5 hours ago, Mansini77 said:

It looks as if the NVC has processed your case, but is still waiting for the USCIS to approve your I-601a.  So, you don't have to do anything for the time being.  Don't bother checking online for the status of the waiver, it will come to you by mail.  

Thank you for your response. I will be waiting 🙏🏻 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.