Jump to content

J-1 Waiver and I-130,I-485

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Decided to post this separately from my old post


My F-1 status and my OPT expire on June 1st. I have 60-day grace period during which I can stay in the US legally. We had planned a wedding for June, however, I cannot file I-130 and I-485 right away since I had previously held a J-1 visa and have 10 months of 2-year HRR left .I have been looking into filling a petition for a J-1 waiver based on hardship. From reading a lot, my understanding is that if you can show that it is not possible for your spouse to come with you, or it will be difficult for them to support you while you're living somewhere else, you have a good shot.


Our argument is that my spouse cannot come and live in Russia with me because he has a good stable job in the US, does not speak russian and wouldn't be able to find a job there, would not fit in culturally as he is not Caucasian and Russia is pretty racist (could easily get attacked and beaten), there is a travel alert issued for Russia due to all the conflicts and terrorist attacks in that region so he wouldn't be able to come visit or come there with me for safety reasons, plus he has a child who he supports and has arrangements to see every month and at this point he cannot just leave his child (if he was to come with me he would not have a job and wouldn't be able to support him, plus he is pretty young and needs a dad), he also has student loans that need to be paid off so he cannot just leave. 


If i was to go back, it is very unlikely for me to find a job there, since financial, accounting and business standards are different in Russia and with my US degree and knowledge I would have to go back to school there to learn what I need to get a job. Plus, it is just hard to get one period; when my mom lost her job, it took her 8 months to find a new one -- with 25 years of experience.  My spouse would not be able to support 2 different households and pay 2 rents and 2 of everything as he has student loans and a child to support. My mom who lives in Russia, also cannot support me and I am not her responsibility anymore as I am not a dependent and married; all of her income goes towards debt she is in. If I was to leave, it would also be difficult for my spouse to see his child as he lives in a different city but I can watch him during weekdays while he works so he can have him not just for 2 days at the end of the month on the weekend. 


Also, would I have to leave while my waiver is pending? And should I wait to file I-130 and I-485? My understanding is that you're good to stay if you filed those petitions, but I am not sure what would happen if I just filed the waiver and waited to file I-485...


Any opinion on whether or not these arguments are legit, what supporting documents we need, and whether or not I can stay would be greatly appreciated. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.