jagjef4

daughter of fiance

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiancé daughter is 17 years old.  I did include her on my initial application I-129F.I was reading through the process today after the NVC is sent to consulate and came across the following paragraph.  I am not sure what it means and it may effect my future step daughter since she may be 18 before we get married.

Can anyone help me understand the following paragraph

Important Notice: Under U.S. immigration law, a child must be unmarried. In order to file for adjustment of status for your child following your marriage to your U.S. citizen spouse, the child’s stepchild relationship with your spouse must be created before the child reaches the age of 18.

This notice was under the following heading

Does My U.S. Citizen Fiancé(e) Need to File Separate Petitions for My Children?

No. Your eligible children may apply for K-2 visas based on the approval of Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) filed on your behalf, but your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) must list the children on the petition. Separate visa applications must be submitted for each K-2 visa applicant, and each applicant must pay the K visa application fee.

After your marriage, your children will need to file separately from you for adjustment of status. They cannot be included on your application for adjustment of status. More information about adjustment of status is available on USCIS’s website under Green Card (Permanent Residence).

Important Notice: Under U.S. immigration law, a child must be unmarried. In order to file for adjustment of status for your child following your marriage to your U.S. citizen spouse, the child’s stepchild relationship with your spouse must be created before the child reaches the age of 18.

As always any help is appreciated

Filed: Country:
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k2-visa-adjustment-of-status-tips

in the K2 other visa adjustments area

If the marriage occurs after the K2 is 18 then their AOS must be approved before the K2 turns 21.

so they still can adjust but it must be completed before they turn 21 and processing for ocerseas 3 years is very rare for aos.

good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.