Gilgalads_Horse

I-134 proof - is this enough?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We are in a slightly awkward position - I am the primary sponsor and a full time student, and our co-sponsor is retired. Neither of us, then, can fill out the form with exactly the proof requested. What I have collected, then, is an IRS tax transcript, my financial aid letter, and my pay stubs from my work-study job. Several questions arise from this:

1) income: I assume my scholarship doesn't count - it simply cancels out tuition and never comes into my bank account. I have several grants and a loan that do come into my bank account, however. Is that a good way of accounting for things? Income is whatever actually passes through my bank? I'd love any advice on that account.

2) retired co-sponsor: My grandfather is a retired Presbyterian minister. His pension is well above the poverty line, around $75,000 a year. Does he mark himself "employed" as a retired presbyterian minister, or is there another way of dealing with that? Also, I assume a 1099-R is fine as the retired-person equivalent of a W-2.

3) proof: is what I've listed above - tax transcript, pay stubs, financial aid letter, and bank statement, as well as a letter from the officer of the bank as specified in the instructions - good enough? 

4) I assume we need 3 copies - two for my fiance to take with him to the interview and one for me to keep just in case. Does he have to mail it somewhere? We were under the impression he simply brought it with him, but have since seen something that confused us. 

Thank you for all your help. You have saved us from several grave mistakes already!

Filed: Timeline

It's not what passes through your bank account. It looks like your part time job would be the only thing you could definitely claim as income. If you leave school, your grant is null. Loan money is never considered income. Your grandfather's occupation of retired is fine. The 1099-R is proof of income. You will need copies of tax transcripts, pay stubs and the 1099-R. 3-4 copies is the norm. 1. Submission 2. Copy for you 3. Copy for fiance 4. A complete copy in case USCIS loses the original.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.