Sun Wukong

Please Help! Questions about the I-134 Affidavit of Support?

1 post in this topic

Hello everyone! I'm very excited to be moving forward with my K-1 visa process! I received my NOA 1 in September, and expect to be receiving my NOA 2 sometime between the 13 and 18 of this month! I am now looking forward to the future, but am a bit lost on where to go next. From my understanding, the next step will be to fill out a Form I-134. I am a bit nervous on how to do this though and have many questions that I hope the wonderful VisaJourney commmunity may be able to help me with ;) .

1) I am looking to fill out this form, but am at a disadvantage in that I am not currently working (I do have a joint-sponsor to help me out). While I am not currently working, I am about to start working at the end of this month, with a job offer of around $35,000. However, it will obviously take some months before I begin accumulating pay stubs, and I would like to try and fill our the I-134 sometime within the next few weeks. Is their anyway to include the fact that I have a job offer (actually multiple), and that I will begin working at the end of October? I would like for this information to be considered on my I-134, but I am not sure how to include it and if it would even matter?

2) My joint sponsor is both my father and mother. I am not sure if they would both need to complete Form I-134's however, as they both share everything. They both are self-employed, and work together to run the family business. To my understanding, everything they own from bank accounts to their assets, is shared. Would I still have both of them fill out separate forms, even though almost all, if not all, of the financial information will be redundant? Or should I only have one of them fill out a form?

3) My parents are self-employed, and their income is more than enough to support my fiancee, as I believe it to be over $100,000 per year. However, my parents are also in quite a bit of debt, with a large chunk of it owed to the IRS. I am wondering if this will be detrimental to my situation. Again, they would be more than willing to help my fiancee (though in all honesty I plan to support her fully with my own salary which I am soon to be making), but I don't know if their debt would be taken into consideration. I don't see anything of the sort on the I-134?

4) I recently read this on the VisaJourney FAQ's for the I-134:

"Some foreign U.S. consulates require a 2nd affidavit of support which is called "sponsor's financial responsibility
under the social security act." It is a simple form and easily filled out and signed. The Hong Kong consulate has may
require this form."

My fiancee is from mainland China, and will most likely be filing with the Guangzhou or Shanghai consulate. Does anyone know if this form is also required for mainland China consulate's?

Thank you all for your help. I am sure that I will come up with more questions in the coming days, and am confident that VisaJourney will continue to help me out through this difficult process. I am very nervous about this part of the procedure, and would hate to have all of my previous work done on the I-129F be for nothing. I am a fairly recent college grad (2014) and I am willing to work hard for my fiancee. I just hope the fact that I haven't held an "official" job in a long time (I taught English for a year and a half in China after graduating but don't have financial records of it), doesn't exclude me from being with the woman I love. :unsure: Any more advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.