violet18ac3

Engagement party, is it necessary?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you're gonna do it, might as well do it right. I had my dam hoi done with a film and camera crew. cost was about $80~100 and WELL WORTH IT. Few hundred pictures and a compiled dvd fully edited with music, slideshows, and videos. Both families loved the video, and mine has watched it at least 5 separate occasions.

I had catering service provide seating and food(cooked on spot)/drinks for 80 people, which cost about $800. The cost of the pig was $70 bux. You can settle for less fancy, but overall, under 1K for dam hoi is a sweet deal.

07/??/00: Met Fiance

05/??/06: Rekindled with fiance

10/20/06: Proposed, with a yes!

12/23/06: Met fiance in person after over 6 years

12/24/06: Engagement party in Vietnam

01/01/07: Went back to America

01/03/07: I-129F Sent to CSC

01/08/07: NOA1

03/26/07: NOA2

04/04/07: NVC Receives case

04/13/07: HCM Consulate Receives physical file

04/24/07: HCM Sends Out Packet 3

05/03/07: Packet 3 Received

05/07/07: Packet 3 Sent

06/23/07: Packet 4 Received FROM honest neighbor BLOCKS away (sent to wrong address, actual receive date ???)

07/12/07: Interview Date!!! BLUE SLIP

08/31/07: Went in personally with sound advice from M.E. and got the PINK SLIP!!!

Timeline
If you're gonna do it, might as well do it right. I had my dam hoi done with a film and camera crew. cost was about $80~100 and WELL WORTH IT. Few hundred pictures and a compiled dvd fully edited with music, slideshows, and videos. Both families loved the video, and mine has watched it at least 5 separate occasions.

I had catering service provide seating and food(cooked on spot)/drinks for 80 people, which cost about $800. The cost of the pig was $70 bux. You can settle for less fancy, but overall, under 1K for dam hoi is a sweet deal.

That's about the same price as mine (<$1000). I was only one from my family there. It was NOT "weird". My fiancee's cousin and husband filled in as representatives of my family (they are the one's who introduced us to each other). In the ceremony, when I first saw my fiancee in her Ao Dai, I remember thinking, "Wow, she is beautiful."

My fiancee was very happy with the whole thing and I found it very interesting. I was very puzzled at times during the ceremony because I didn't know what was going on. I went along with it and let my fiancee and her family guide me through it. All in all, it was great!

9/26/2006 Met online

12/24/2006 - 1/6/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

12/31/2006 Engagement ceremony

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

5/21/2007 NVC received I-129

6/6/2007 - 6/28/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

6/9/2007 Wedding Ceremony in VN; no paperwork

6/11/2007 - 6/18/2007 Honeymoon in Nha Trang and Dalat

6/29/2007 Packet 3 received (in person)

6/29/2007 Packet 3 returned to consulate (in person)

7/30/2007 Packet 4 received

8/22/2007 John arrived in Vietnam for interview

8/24/2007 Interview - blue slip

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

9/12/2007 Wedding in U.S.

11/30/2007 Mailed AOS paperwork.

12/26/2008 Biometrics

• 5 months later...
Timeline

Hey,

Man i wish i was around when you posted this. I only started reading up on your post because you sent me an email. Anyways, the first thing that jumped out at me was what you said in your original post. You said that you weren't planning on getting married for 2-3 years from now. Well, if this K1 visa goes through, and she reaches the USA, you have 90 days to get married, so i don't know how you plan on doing that? 6-9 months from now she will get a visa, let say she stays in Vietnam for close to the 3 months the visa is valid for that is still only a year, you have 90 days to get married when she enters the USA.....do you see where i am going with this? So think about it and let me know....

Also, for my case, i DID NOT have a "dam hoi" when i sent my I-129F, STILL DID NOT have it when my wife went for the interview...so it goes back to what i said to you in my first post to your first post, it's all about convincing them that you are for real and that starts with a good story. For my case, i explain the circumstance that we met and that my parents met with her parents (get to know each other) and that was about it, i didn't even have pictures of that meeting. However, what i did in my case was, i did see her twice before i sent in my package. I met her in summer '05 went back again in winter '05 and then sent in the paperwork august '06 and then i went back in winter '06, she got interview in spring '07 i went back to do "dam hoi" and get married summer '07 (now she is here with me). We did not even have a lot of pictures from each of my visits. I mean, when you are for real, you just don't care too much as long as you know you're for real and every thing will take care of itself. The reason why i sound so confident is that i believe in your case (story) i think it works. But others will think that it's fake, so think from that angle, what about your story may lead people to think that you're fake....So you have to prove that your relationship with a former friend/treat-like-cousin turned boyfriend/girlfriend is for real (beyond a reasonable doubt). These things happen in life and not just in the movies, so when you develop your feelings for this girl, how did it happen?????????? I can't imagine one morning you woke up and it happened....I will check your other posts to see if i can help...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes, do it, I did it. It was worth it, my fiancee and her family were honored, she said it was important in her life as a Vietnamese woman and the icing on the cake is that it can only help you for your interview and not hurt you.

Guy&Hoa

Filed: IR-5 Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I heard some peeps would pass the interview without engagement party! As long as you have other proofs: emails, hand-written letters, cards, phone bills, pictures of you two together...it will be O.K. I also heard that a lot of peeps DID have engagement party (but fake), but no other proofs would fail the interview. So they know who is real and who is fake at the interview. If you had an engagement party, does not mean you will pass! FYI-

11-16-12: Sent I-130 for Dad.
11-19-12: Priority date/rec'd date.
02-06-13: Case approved, NOA2.
02-19-13: NVC received case.
03-08-13: Case # assigned--HCM2013******.
03-09-13: Paid AOS Fee $88.00.
03-09-13: Emailed DS-3032 from Beneficiary's email address.
03-13-13: AOS Fee showed as PAID & sent AOS package certified mail.
03-18-13: AOS package delivered @ 10:50 A.M.
03-18-13: DS-3032 accepted.
03-20-13: IV Bill Invoice.
03-21-13: Paid IV Fee $230.00.
03-23-13: IV Fee showed as PAID.
04-23-13: Sent IV package certified mail.
04-26-13: IV package delivered @ 11:13 A.M.

05-08-13: Case completed @ NVC per telephone call.

05-15-15: Case completed per email from NVC.

06-07-13: Rec'd email from NVC RE: interview date. (letter dated 06-05-13).

07-18-13: Interview date-- PASSED.

Timeline
what peeps are they?

peeps.jpg

Dem my peeps!

As long as you have other proofs: emails, hand-written letters, cards, phone bills, pictures of you two together...it will be O.K. I also heard that a lot of peeps DID have engagement party (but fake), but no other proofs would fail the interview.

I'm pretty sure its common knowledge around here (VJ) that there is no single piece of evidence they are ultimately looking for, but your case as a whole. Every couple has a different background, and they've seen them all. If something may help, why not do it? The more the ammo the better. It will make the case more believable to the CO if you do have a party as one of your evidences. Not to mention it's an absolute blast (AND DIRT CHEAP!).

2-22-08 - I-485 rev'd

2-27-08 - NOA1

3-17-09 - Transferred to Cali.

4-12-08 - Biometrics

4-22-08 - Touch

4-28-08 - EAD received.

...waiting...

3-04-09 - Had to renew the EAD :(

3-04-09 - Got annoyed at being outside of the processing window

3-04-09 - Called and they confirmed. Will contact me within 45 days.

3-05-09 - Date on the EAD NOA1

3-12-09 - Received a confirmation email that I am outside of the window and will get a decision in 60 days.

3-12-09 - TOUCH!!!

3-27-09 - Touch!

5-09-09 - Randomly received the renewed EAD Card... w/ wrong A# :(.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.