briccasart

Police clearance certificate

3 posts in this topic

Hi all. I know for sure that a police clearance cert will be required by the US Embassy in Dublin for my Irish husband.

I got through to the Dublin office today and the representative who picked up the call said that they have no idea when I-130s sent personally by applicants to London will come back to them. It was taking 3 months to process UK-based applications as it was and with 4 new countries added for USCIS London to process, she wasn't sure whether this was going to add a bit of time to the average 3 months.

Now, my question is, is it a good idea to go ahead and apply now for a police cert for my husband? It takes 3-4 weeks before the request is processed by the police.

I was thinking of sending in the request in early April and have it back by early May. My I-130 would be at USCIS London for 2 months at this stage.

If the police cert comes back before the request from the embassy arrives, will the embassy question us as to why we got it earlier than requested? As in will they invalidate the cert?

I ask because there is the possibility that USCIS London has a special unit handling new I-130 petitions from only the 4 new other countries in its jurisdiction and the petitions might come back quicker than 3 months to respective embassies.

If I apply for a police cert in early April, my receipt of it might coincide with my receiving instructions from the embassy to go ahead and get one. If this is the case, I can send it back immediately and not waste time as I have everything else needed at this stage apart from the police cert and the medical (which I think the medical is the last step before the interview).

Any advice? Thanks.

VISA JOURNEY

February 7, 2003 - got married in California

March 17, 2003 (Paddy's Day) - arrived in Ireland

March 18, 2003 - got permission to remain stamp in my passport

March 7, 2007 - posted I-130 to USCIS London

Thanks for the info. In that case, I will send for it today.

VISA JOURNEY

February 7, 2003 - got married in California

March 17, 2003 (Paddy's Day) - arrived in Ireland

March 18, 2003 - got permission to remain stamp in my passport

March 7, 2007 - posted I-130 to USCIS London

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.