2ndMessiah

Can parents use own assets to help affidavit of support.

5 posts in this topic

I am sure this has been asked before (even by me but I cant find the post).

I would like to petition to bring my parents in to the US. I have one minor issue in that I fall short financially when it comes to the affidavit of support. Can my parent use their house (which they own outright) and their income to help meet requirements.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Alright I found my answer. They can if they are resident in the US.

If a mod comes across this thread can they close it.

Edited by 2ndMessiah

Dave Allen.

Alright I found my answer. They can if they are resident in the US.

If a mod comes across this thread can they close it.

From the I-864 Instructions page 9

Part 7. Use of Assets to Supplement Income (Optional)

Item Numbers 6. - 9. Assets of the Intending Immigrant. You may use the assets of the intending immigrant regardless of where he or she resides. The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this affidavit. Add together Item Numbers 6. - 8. and enter the total number in Item Number 9. Form I-864A is not required to document the intending immigrants assets.

I think you were reading that to contribute income they must be residing in your home. Use of assets is different than income.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

OK I think I will print out the i-864 instructions. Easier to read on real paper. Thanks for taking the time to look.

For some reason this is giving me more difficulty than when I filled out my I-864 for AOS. Again thanks.

Dave Allen.

OK I think I will print out the i-864 instructions. Easier to read on real paper. Thanks for taking the time to look.

For some reason this is giving me more difficulty than when I filled out my I-864 for AOS. Again thanks.

I always print out so I can highlight or mark the important parts.

Basically you can use Income (a salary coming every month for example) on the support form. To use your parents income it would have to continue in the US and it says they have to live in your house.

And if you fall short on income, you can use your assets, those of household members (living in you home), and those of the intending immigrant (no matter where they live). So cash savings and their home are their assets that you may put on your I-864 Section 7--

#6 (their cash in savings and checking accounts)

#7 (their house net value)

#8 (their stock, bonds, other type of investments) I know their are some UK things that would have to be sold or cashed in but don't know the names. It's those things that are not immediate cash that go here.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.