UK UK

i-130 Questions HELP

10 posts in this topic

HI everyone!

I'm an USC and my hubby is a UKC but we both live here in the UK. We have started to gather our papers and documents for the I-130 process and we have hit some questions that I can't seem to find the answers for. (and i've been doing alot of reading on this site, :) )

Hoping someone can assist us, thanks.

1) Do we both have to get a Police Report? (I've been living here 4 years)

2) My husband has a bad credit history in the UK from a previous divorce, will this affect us at all? Problems with the I864 maybe? or leaving the country?

3) His young children are NOT coming with us they are staying with there mum, BUT, can we or they apply to receive Dual Citizenship because we are now married and do we apply for that now then?

THANK YOU all so much - I've been trying to find these answers without having to post but I have hit a dead end and I really hope someone can help us.

Cheers!

Lisa

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi,

I am just about to start processing as well. i am the USC, so it's only my husband that needs the police certificate.

As far as I know the process will not be affected by bad credit apart from bankruptcy if that has been filed, if not it won't be an issue.

Don't think the kids can be dual citizenship as both parent as British.

Good Luck with your journey!!

HI everyone!

I'm an USC and my hubby is a UKC but we both live here in the UK. We have started to gather our papers and documents for the I-130 process and we have hit some questions that I can't seem to find the answers for. (and i've been doing alot of reading on this site, :) )

Hoping someone can assist us, thanks.

1) Do we both have to get a Police Report? (I've been living here 4 years)

2) My husband has a bad credit history in the UK from a previous divorce, will this affect us at all? Problems with the I864 maybe? or leaving the country?

3) His young children are NOT coming with us they are staying with there mum, BUT, can we or they apply to receive Dual Citizenship because we are now married and do we apply for that now then?

THANK YOU all so much - I've been trying to find these answers without having to post but I have hit a dead end and I really hope someone can help us.

Cheers!

Lisa

Thanks for the quick reply. This site is wonderful.

We have sent for my hubby's police certificate but we didn't know if I needed one because I have been living in the UK for the past 4 years and didn't know if the Embassy needed to see if I have received a police record during my time here ( which I dont have, LOL)

Hubby hasn't filed for bankruptcy just a lot of credit debt that he is forever paying because of his previous marriage. What happens when we move to the US with his credit in the UK? Will that affect his credit in the US?? ( I hope not)

I wasn't sure about the children because I read somewhere that they were entitled to claim residency or dual citizenship (can't remember what it was called) because we are married but they would have to apply before they are 18?? Not sure, i've read so much I could be confused here.

Maybe if its only if the children were moving to the US with us? What about if they wanted to move over to live with us in a couple of years and mum agrees on it? Will that allow them to live in the US and then eventually become USC or dual citizens? So confusing. The reason why I'm asking is because his son is 14 and is having difficulties living with his mum and wants to live with us. Mum states that she will allow him to come over next year once we are settled etc if he still isn't happy living with her. The other childrens are younger than him and I dont think mum would let them go until they are 17, which is close to the 18 deadline age for something! LOL see, i'm confusing myself now. HaHa.

Cheers!

Hi,

I am just about to start processing as well. i am the USC, so it's only my husband that needs the police certificate.

As far as I know the process will not be affected by bad credit apart from bankruptcy if that has been filed, if not it won't be an issue.

Don't think the kids can be dual citizenship as both parent as British.

Good Luck with your journey!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi,

To be honest, I am sure they are more people on VJ that can give you better answers to your questions, but I know that I don't need (as a USC) a police certificate and I have been here over 13 years. I am the USC, so my children have automatic citizenhip as I am their parent. I would double check the requirements for the kids, but my understanding is that either one parent has to be USC or may, in the future need to become naturalised in order to apply for the kids. I know alot of people on this site petition for the kids visa's at the same time as their partners,but as this is not your situation, I would check carefully. Have you check the embassy website for information?

Hi,

To be honest, I am sure they are more people on VJ that can give you better answers to your questions, but I know that I don't need (as a USC) a police certificate and I have been here over 13 years. I am the USC, so my children have automatic citizenhip as I am their parent. I would double check the requirements for the kids, but my understanding is that either one parent has to be USC or may, in the future need to become naturalised in order to apply for the kids. I know alot of people on this site petition for the kids visa's at the same time as their partners,but as this is not your situation, I would check carefully. Have you check the embassy website for information?

THANKS AGAIN for your help :)

It would be interesting to see what others on VJ might know about this too.

Lisa :)

It would be possible to bring over his children as residents but not possible to get them dual citizenship unless they came over as residents and lived in the states for three years and then applied for citizenship. In your sitiuation, I don't believe there's anything you can do for his kids as they won't be coming to live with you in the states.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

It would be possible to bring over his children as residents but not possible to get them dual citizenship unless they came over as residents and lived in the states for three years and then applied for citizenship. In your sitiuation, I don't believe there's anything you can do for his kids as they won't be coming to live with you in the states.

HI there,

I think that is what I was reading about. Its a very good possibility that the children will be moving over with us within a years time. So when that is about to happen, we would have to apply for I-130s for each child? is that correct to make them residents? Also, for them to apply for citizenship its only 3 years then? Once they become citizens that would entitle them to a passport? Am I understanding this correctly?

My head is one big balloon with all this and I've been patiently reading and staying quiet for over a month but now I think I have gone into panic mode, haha. I just want everything done correctly andd love hearing about how everyone else is getting along with their process.

Thanks again.

I'm not entirely sure how it works to bring them over after your husband has already immigrated instead of doing it as part of the same process. It may be different, but maybe not. I don't want to say as I'm not sure. :)

Once they were permanent residents, they would be able to apply for citizenship three years after their first date of entry. I believe the citizenship process takes about a year. And then yes, they would be able to have US passports, and would have to use the US passport and not their British passports when entering the US. But they would retain their British passports for entering the UK.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I think that is what I was reading about. Its a very good possibility that the children will be moving over with us within a years time. So when that is about to happen, we would have to apply for I-130s for each child? is that correct to make them residents? Also, for them to apply for citizenship its only 3 years then? Once they become citizens that would entitle them to a passport? Am I understanding this correctly?

Please go to the Citizenship forum here and look in the pinned post, or to uscis.gov and follow the info for Citizenship/children.

They will have to immigrate via petition I-130 etc. If they're under 18, I believe they will be naturalized WITH dad when he does.

Once they are naturalized, they can get a US passport.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Thank you both for the wonderful information. I wish the children were immigrating with us now, it would make the process so much easier but mum is making things difficult. We both know that once we get settled in the US mum will be wanting to send the children over and then we will have to go through this whole process again.

So much to learn in such a little time, LOL

Thank you again for your advice and guidance, its been wonderful.

Please go to the Citizenship forum here and look in the pinned post, or to uscis.gov and follow the info for Citizenship/children.

They will have to immigrate via petition I-130 etc. If they're under 18, I believe they will be naturalized WITH dad when he does.

Once they are naturalized, they can get a US passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.