EricAndOrn

Fiancee went for police clearance today

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancee went for her police clearance today, this were the documents she needed:

Her passport

E-Mailed copy (mine was color) of NOA2 printed out

Thai ID card

Single certificate

E-Mailed copy of my passport (picture page), signed

House book (Tabien Baan)

And she was offered to leave a "tip" in an envelope to expedite the process.

Hope this saves someone a second trip.

event.png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We "gave" a tip after they said it would take a month to get the certificate if we didn't. Officer asked for 2500 baht, later took 1500 baht and we had certificate in about 1.5-2 weeks.

my fiance had told me that the police report can be ordered and packet submitted without it, as long as the police report can be shown at the embassy interview.

her source: personal anecdotes on a Thai web forum about U.S. visa for Thais

my fiance had told me that the police report can be ordered and packet submitted without it, as long as the police report can be shown at the embassy interview. no tipping required.

her source: personal anecdotes on a Thai web forum about U.S. visa for Thais

• 2 weeks later...

At what point in the process is it recommended that you obtain the police clearance, I ask because my girlfriend lives in north eastern isan so its not easy for her to travel, I will most likely have to fly to Thailand and assist with these matters.

Timeline

At what point in the process is it recommended that you obtain the police clearance, I ask because my girlfriend lives in north eastern isan so its not easy for her to travel, I will most likely have to fly to Thailand and assist with these matters.

I am at the "submitting package 3 to the embassy" stage. My fiancee lives in Bangkok and I can ask her to assist your fiancee as she just completed everything she needs to do to this point.

I do believe you could hire a thai lawyer and get the clearance for about 5000 baht without you or your fiancee having to go to Bangkok. I will look into that and report back here when I find out.

event.png

Timeline

Sorry, I may have been mistaken about doing it by mail. It seems I read something out it somewhere, but can't find it.

event.png

@ericUSA

the police report is what is now holding me up. we'd have it already if I had had her apply for it the day I got noa2.

getting from isaan to bkk is straightforward and easy, there are night buses from nearly every decent sized city up there. I've done it dozens of times on various bike trips. half the pulsation of bkk is isaan people who go and back semi regularly, surely there is someone on her village or town who can guide her more specifically?

she can drop the papers with the police, go to the hospital and get her shots or boosters, and head back to isaan in the same day. in 4-5 weeks the police mail her the papers and she's good to go.

and I will 2nd, of she needs help or advice, we are just outside of bkk and my gf is only working part time right now so we have time to help out or give advice as needed.

Thanks for the help guys, we may need it one day, although I'm at the very beggining stages, you're significant others may god willing be in the States before my girlfriend has to take care of business in Bangkok, I truly appreciate it. Kikiyut Im in New York as well good luck and Ericand om, me and my girl are Eric and Ot, go figure, good luck guys.

my advice is: just do it.

if you are going to do the fiance visa, then put the paperwork in as soon as you can. I spent 6 months freaking out, getting angry and upset, getting the I 129 together. you bet it spilled over into our relationship! it was awful.

if I had just put it in, even an RFE would not have delayed it nor been as painful as what we went thru this summer. I over thought every single bit of it. don't. just put it in and sort it out later. once it's in you have time to prepare for the next step. this forum is a great resource for help and guidance.

oh and whatever you do, don't hire a lawyer to do this for you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.