meandmom

Expedite request - pros and cons

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

I'm calling on the collective wisdom of the board. What do you guys think? Are there any potential drawbacks to filing an expedite request with NVC?

It's been 45 days since our NOA2 approval, and I need NVC to finally assign our case number, in order to schedule the medical examination. I'd like to get a case number assigned ASAP, so that I could assist my invalid parent with completing the medical exam during my upcoming overseas trip. Everything else beyond assigning the case number (reviewing the case, scheduling an interview date) doesn't need to be expedited, since we're not planning on actually going to an interview until April, so a normal timeframe of 3-4 months after the case number is assigned is fine with us.

NVC suggested I file an expedite request, otherwise I may have to wait additional 5-6 weeks! :-(((

My concern is, could filing an expedite request somehow screw up the case, and make it even longer?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm calling on the collective wisdom of the board. What do you guys think? Are there any potential drawbacks to filing an expedite request with NVC?

It's been 45 days since our NOA2 approval, and I need NVC to finally assign our case number, in order to schedule the medical examination. I'd like to get a case number assigned ASAP, so that I could assist my invalid parent with completing the medical exam during my upcoming overseas trip. Everything else beyond assigning the case number (reviewing the case, scheduling an interview date) doesn't need to be expedited, since we're not planning on actually going to an interview until April, so a normal timeframe of 3-4 months after the case number is assigned is fine with us.

NVC suggested I file an expedite request, otherwise I may have to wait additional 5-6 weeks! :-(((

My concern is, could filing an expedite request somehow screw up the case, and make it even longer?

I don't think there is any draw back, they may or may not accept it, that is the Embassy. If they do, you will bypass the NVC. Having all of your documents in tip top shape and then some will be advised.

I don't think there is any draw back, they may or may not accept it, that is the Embassy. If they do, you will bypass the NVC. Having all of your documents in tip top shape and then some will be advised.

Does this mean that an "expedite request" is in effect a request to bypass the NVC stage altogether, and go straight to the embassy?

If so, that's not what we need. I just need a case number assigned, that's it.

Timeline

Does this mean that an "expedite request" is in effect a request to bypass the NVC stage altogether, and go straight to the embassy?

If so, that's not what we need. I just need a case number assigned, that's it.

Pretty much. The expeditious processing is when your case goes quicker than normal to the Embassy for processing. If during the NVC stage you can bypass them or if after the NVC and waiting for an interview you will get an interview quicker.

Did you check to see if USCIS sent your petition to the NVC? Sometimes they can be slow about that. I though the NVC was creating case numbers within 12 days of receipt of the petition from USCIS.

Pretty much. The expeditious processing is when your case goes quicker than normal to the Embassy for processing. If during the NVC stage you can bypass them or if after the NVC and waiting for an interview you will get an interview quicker.

Did you check to see if USCIS sent your petition to the NVC? Sometimes they can be slow about that. I though the NVC was creating case numbers within 12 days of receipt of the petition from USCIS.

Thanks for clarifying that. That's not for us, then.

Yes, our case was sent to NVC on October 28, and "received" almost a month later, on November 25.

It's just amazing, that those NVC folks have the gall to insist that "it should take additional 42 days to assign the case number", when it already took them almost a month to just "receive" the case!

So far, USCIS did its job perfectly, but it's the NVC that's dragging its feet in assigning the number.

Timeline

Thanks for clarifying that. That's not for us, then.

Yes, our case was sent to NVC on October 28, and "received" almost a month later, on November 25.

It's just amazing, that those NVC folks have the gall to insist that "it should take additional 42 days to assign the case number", when it already took them almost a month to just "receive" the case!

So far, USCIS did its job perfectly, but it's the NVC that's dragging its feet in assigning the number.

You are welcome. Normally it takes about 7 days for NVC to receive the petition after USCIS has sent it.

There is one problem I had with USCIS. When you receive your approval notice and it says they sent it to the NVC, it could be in some cases 2 weeks before they actually send it to the NVC. My I-130 was approved on 6/22 but it wasn't until 7/9 before they actually sent it to the NVC.

In your case, it will probably be 12/8 or 12/9 when you get your case number assigned. I called pretty much every day until I got the number.

You are welcome. Normally it takes about 7 days for NVC to receive the petition after USCIS has sent it.

There is one problem I had with USCIS. When you receive your approval notice and it says they sent it to the NVC, it could be in some cases 2 weeks before they actually send it to the NVC. My I-130 was approved on 6/22 but it wasn't until 7/9 before they actually sent it to the NVC.

In your case, it will probably be 12/8 or 12/9 when you get your case number assigned. I called pretty much every day until I got the number.

That's what I will do, too. Just call them every day.

Our case was approved on 10/19 and sent to NVC on 10/28 (that's normal), but "received" by NVC on 11/25. I'm just happy the case wasn't lost altogether.

I hope you're right and we'll get our case number soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.