dpmusic

Periods with No Address

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello,

My wife (LPR) and I (US Citizen) have been moving around quite a bit over the last few years, as she's been following me from school to school, and then from internship to internship. We have extended period (namely, most years May through September) where we have no real address at all, as we are just moving from place to place, with our things on our backs (and what we can't carry left for the long term at our parents' houses). Any advice on how to fill out our list of previous residences for N-400 purposes?

One period, for example, is the following: after a brief internship in The Hague, ending on May 31, we went to stay with my wife's family in Poland for a month, then flew to New York and went apartment hunting for a few weeks (staying on a friend's couch), then took a vacation in New Jersey, then returned to my wife's family's place in Poland for another month (waiting for our New York apartment to open up), and then returned back to New York to move into our apartment in mid-October. Do we put all these addresses and try to recreate the dates that we were in each place? Or do we just put my parents' address in California, where we continued to receive our mail (even though we weren't physically present there -- we were just in extended transit between The Hague and New York)?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by dpmusic

The portion of the app asking for addresses over the past 5 years exists to facilitate the criminal and legal background check. My advice would be to list any place where you resided 30 days or more.

Of course, there is another section of the app where you must list any time outside the US, but that serves a different purpose than the address listing.

The portion of the app asking for addresses over the past 5 years exists to facilitate the criminal and legal background check. My advice would be to list any place where you resided 30 days or more.

Of course, there is another section of the app where you must list any time outside the US, but that serves a different purpose than the address listing.

And later down the road when you apply for citizenship you will asked countries you have visited for any length of time -not just lived or been in extended period-

I'd do as recommended, list all and keep all these documentation, you will need it in a few years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.