canadafiance

Confused about POE?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think 90% of petition are well expired before entry. I dont think its generally been an issue as most officers are only looking for a vaild visa. I think only if by chance you run into a issue then the consulate will help since its not a usual problem.

I dont think the officer was offered the expired document, I believe all the documents are sent in your "do not open" envelope that they open and review at point of entry, and that is what is put together at the consulate.

Met online in jan 2013 became exclusive Feb1

Met in person Sept/ Engaged in Oct 2013 never wanted to leave each other.

Returned to visit July 31 2014 till Oct 2014

started our K1 VISA process...October 2014

K1 noa1 Oct 6 Texas.....now the wait begins...to start our journey together.

NOA2 email notice Approval May 14/2015 yay!

interview oct 28th 2015!

VISA APPROVED!

POE:

WEDDING

did you go through montreal or vancouver?

Vancouver. Just re-read that thread. It's very strange that Montreal would put that annotation on the visa, but not Vancouver.

Timeline

Vancouver. Just re-read that thread. It's very strange that Montreal would put that annotation on the visa, but not Vancouver.

Yeah its pretty stupid to be honest.

Mine is expired so ill be emailing them to fix it, if this process gets delayed any further ill lose my head.

K-1 Timeline

09/15/14 - Mailed I-129F
09/25/14 - NOA1 Text Message
05/04/15 - NOA2 Text message - Approved
09/15/15 - Interview Montreal [221(g) given for missing ORIGINAL Birth Certificate]
09/15/15 - Ceac Status shows Admin Processing for Sept 15th
11/13/15 - Sent missing document via Loomis to Montreal
11/16/15 - Loomis Tracking shows delivered
11/19/15 - Ceac Status shows Admin Processing for Nov 19th
11/21/15 - Ceac Status shows READY for Nov 21st [Case Creation Date updated to Nov 21st]
11/25/15 - Ceac Status shows Admin Processing for Nov 25th
11/30/15 - VISA Issued !!!!!
12/07/15 - VISA in hand

AOS Timeline

03/26/16 - Mailed AOS Package
04/03/16 - USCIS Received
05/04/16 - Biometrics Done
05/07/16 - RFE Received (I-864 Joint Sponsor Documentation)
06/28/16 - EAD/AP Approved

07/11/16 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!! / No Interview :dance:
07/13/16 - 2 Year Conditional Green Card arrived in mail

Mine is expired so ill be emailing them to fix it, if this process gets delayed any further ill lose my head.

Just thinking about it more, perhaps it's a new development in both Vancouver and Montreal. My Visa is from 2013, so maybe things have changed.

Timeline

Mine is already issued so they wont change the petition expiry date :( im going to show POE people the email exchange so hopefully its not an issue

Technically EVERYONE's NOA2 expires at interview. The purpose of the 129F is to petition the US asking if your fiance can apply for a visa with the purpose of coming to the country and immigrating permanently. One the fiance has applied and been approved or denied, the 129F has no use and is considered as used/expired.

Imo having the K1 petition date on there is pointless. Your 129F has no point once you're approved. Putting multiple expiration dates on something is just going to cause confusion.

Ours is expired, we had our interview before it expired and got asked for more documents, and I'm sure there's A LOT of people in this case, this is probably most likely a normal thing.

A key thing to note is this, if they don't want to let you in or they're having a pissy day, they'll find an excuse, even if it's wrong. My mom's boyfriend of 13 someodd years works for the boarder patrol and he says himself that while most are legit people, there are some that will gang up on people just because they're having a ###### day. -You- can't tell them no, you're wrong, because in this situation unless you can find some proof that you're right, like having them call the consulate to verify, they'll deny you even if they're wrong.

This can happen at any point of entry at any time, visiting, k1, any entry.

It -shouldn't- be an issue though. Just need to not be a bundle of nerves, if you look scared and they think this is a normal thing (because to them it is) then you may put a target on your back.

And not saying these things to scare you, but you need to treat this like a normal trip, at any points on any of your other trips they could have turned you away if they so felt like it at any point. A lot of people don't realize that for some reason or they think it won't happen to them or its less likely.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

Technically EVERYONE's NOA2 expires at interview. The purpose of the 129F is to petition the US asking if your fiance can apply for a visa with the purpose of coming to the country and immigrating permanently. One the fiance has applied and been approved or denied, the 129F has no use and is considered as used/expired.

The CBP in Catherines case pulled open her envelope and insisted that because the NOA2 for the 129f was expired that she couldn't come into the country, she pointed out multiple times that the visa in her passport shows an expiration date of Feb or something like that and that it says it's valid until that date for one entry. They basically went "Well, we see what your visa says, but the paper in here seems wrong, so.. sorry!" These people either were having a pissy day or simply didn't know what they were talking about, the fact that even the manager/supervisor joined in on this makes me think they were having a bad day.

Ours is expired, we had our interview before it expired and got asked for more documents, and I'm sure there's A LOT of people in this case, this is probably most likely a normal thing.

A key thing to note is this, if they don't want to let you in or they're having a pissy day, they'll find an excuse, even if it's wrong. My mom's boyfriend of 13 someodd years works for the boarder patrol and he says himself that while most are legit people, there are some that will gang up on people just because they're having a ###### day. -You- can't tell them no, you're wrong, because in this situation unless you can find some proof that you're right, like having them call the consulate to verify, they'll deny you even if they're wrong.

It -shouldn't- be an issue though. Just need to not be a bundle of nerves, if you look scared and they think this is a normal thing (because to them it is) then you may put a target on your back.

And not saying these things to scare you, but you need to treat this like a normal trip, at any points on any of your other trips they could have turned you away if they so felt like it at any point. A lot of people don't realize that for some reason or they think it won't happen to them or its less likely.

Hey just a question about your process. I was also handed a 221(g) for missing original Birth Certificate.

How long did it take for montreal to receive your missing document once you mailed it? When you sent through loomis, what exactly did you have to do? I was told I have to print a courier in receipt and mail it with my document/passport?

thanks

K-1 Timeline

09/15/14 - Mailed I-129F
09/15/15 - Interview Montreal [221(g) given for missing ORIGINAL Birth Certificate]
11/21/15 - Ceac Status shows READY for Nov 21st [Case Creation Date updated to Nov 21st]
12/07/15 - VISA in hand

AOS Timeline

Hey just a question about your process. I was also handed a 221(g) for missing original Birth Certificate.

How long did it take for montreal to receive your missing document once you mailed it? When you sent through loomis, what exactly did you have to do? I was told I have to print a courier in receipt and mail it with my document/passport?

thanks

Yup! You go to the same place you did to schedule your interview.

It should allow you to schedule a "new appointment" in which you follow the instructions of the 221(g), so you do for courier services only.

You'll have two options when you log in either 1 or 2.

1) If it still shows your interview as active, then click the "Consular Section has instructed me to send more documents", it'll go to a page that says something like Follow Up Action, type in what you're wanting to send in, and then press process request. After that it'll take you to your account page and your interview information will be gone and the status should change to "Send Documents" mode. It changed immediately for us when he pushed the process request button.

or

2) If it doesn't show your interview as active and it wants you to "make a new appointment" follow the 221(g) instructions and make an appointment for courier services only.

^ Both the above scenarios will lead you to the next step.

-Once you're in Send Documents mode , you reput in where you had your interview and then where you want to drop off and pick up and it'll take you to an instructions page that will let you print the Courier In Authorization form. Print out the instruction page AND the courier In Authorization form and follow the instructions.

My fiance dropped his papers off at LOOMIS on 11/2/2015 (This last Monday) and the tracking from the LOOMIS site showed it as delivered before noon on Tuesday. Yesterday on Wednesday, they updated our case from Administrative Processing to READY along with the updated status date changing to yesterday.

He had the papers and everything they asked for along with what the instructions said to put in the envelope (copy of instructions and the one of the Courier In print outs (theres two)), in a brown envelope, they gave him a LOOMIS envelope and all he had to do was give them one of the print outs and fill out shipping info and that was it.

Overall, it -should- be delivered next day by LOOMIS, I've heard some people have had it take longer but MOST are delivered the next day, two days max.

Good luck!

Edited by Ash.1101

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Timeline

Yup! You go to the same place you did to schedule your interview.

It should allow you to schedule a "new appointment" in which you follow the instructions of the 221(g), so you do for courier services only.

You'll have two options when you log in either 1 or 2.

1) If it still shows your interview as active, then click the "Consular Section has instructed me to send more documents", it'll go to a page that says something like Follow Up Action, type in what you're wanting to send in, and then press process request. After that it'll take you to your account page and your interview information will be gone and the status should change to "Send Documents" mode. It changed immediately for us when he pushed the process request button.

or

2) If it doesn't show your interview as active and it wants you to "make a new appointment" follow the 221(g) instructions and make an appointment for courier services only.

^ Both the above scenarios will lead you to the next step.

-Once you're in Send Documents mode , you reput in where you had your interview and then where you want to drop off and pick up and it'll take you to an instructions page that will let you print the Courier In Authorization form. Print out the instruction page AND the courier In Authorization form and follow the instructions.

My fiance dropped his papers off at LOOMIS on 11/2/2015 (This last Monday) and the tracking from the LOOMIS site showed it as delivered before noon on Tuesday. Yesterday on Wednesday, they updated our case from Administrative Processing to READY along with the updated status date changing to yesterday.

He had the papers and everything they asked for along with what the instructions said to put in the envelope (copy of instructions and the one of the Courier In print outs (theres two)), in a brown envelope, they gave him a LOOMIS envelope and all he had to do was give them one of the print outs and fill out shipping info and that was it.

Overall, it -should- be delivered next day by LOOMIS, I've heard some people have had it take longer but MOST are delivered the next day, two days max.

Good luck!

Thanks!!!

Its been more than a month since I got the 221(g), im hoping they dont need another letter of intent, dosent say anywhere if I need it.

K-1 Timeline

09/15/14 - Mailed I-129F
12/07/15 - VISA in hand

AOS Timeline

Thanks!!!

Its been more than a month since I got the 221(g), im hoping they dont need another letter of intent, dosent say anywhere if I need it.

If they need more they will contact you, just send in what they requested on the 221(g) form.

It's been about a month and a week since our interview, he wasn't told the the interview for a new letter of intent, only to send in what was marked on the 221(g) so it shouldn't be an issue.

Def try to get it sent in though, with holidays coming up you don't want to wait too long. They go off US holidays if I'm not mistaken, which means there may be a lot of slacking for thanksgiving (a couple of weeks from now) and then again at Christmas and new year.

Edited by Ash.1101

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Timeline

Imo having the K1 petition date on there is pointless. Your 129F has no point once you're approved. Putting multiple expiration dates on something is just going to cause confusion.

I understand its NOT suppose to happen. I understand what the petition is used for. I get all of that. the reason I am nervous and bummed is because when I wanted to visit the states a while back i called USCIS about the visa waiver program - the officer said that the only way you are basically guaranteed entrance into the US (unless drugs etc) is if you get a visa. He said that border patrol can deny any canadian entering US if they wanted, the only way to get entry (again unless you have drugs) is if you get a visa. and now finding this out - it really upsets me to think we have done everything we can and worked so hard to get to the POE and some ####### denies you entrance because he was having a bad day.

I'm not stressing over this because its not in my control, I'm just annoyed that this could happen and has happened to someone (and so recently too). It makes me sad... I would literally have no place to go. I have so much to lose and I know Im not the only one who feels that way.

Ah no I totally understand, but yeah saddly it's not the case that a Visa gives you a free entry without the risk of getting a no.

I understand the irritation, when I told my fiance about that case of being denied in Toronto, he said he was glad he was POEing in Chicago as immigration is probably dealt with a lot more there and even with a guy having a bad day there's -more- CBP officers there than there would be at Toronto. At the same time, he's always nervous when he comes into the country and I'm sure he'll be nervous even when he's here on the visa.

Best wishes! I'm sure everything will be okay!

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Timeline

Ah no I totally understand, but yeah saddly it's not the case that a Visa gives you a free entry without the risk of getting a no.

I understand the irritation, when I told my fiance about that case of being denied in Toronto, he said he was glad he was POEing in Chicago as immigration is probably dealt with a lot more there and even with a guy having a bad day there's -more- CBP officers there than there would be at Toronto. At the same time, he's always nervous when he comes into the country and I'm sure he'll be nervous even when he's here on the visa.

Best wishes! I'm sure everything will be okay!

thanks

btw congrats that the paperwork was sent and the status is ready now :)

thanks

btw congrats that the paperwork was sent and the status is ready now :)

You're welcome and thank you! Now we're just in the waiting game! Fingers crossed and praying!

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Timeline

UPDATE FOR THOSE INTERESTED:

i picked up my visa today from loomis. it looks like they automatically updated the expiration date of my PETITION to 02/march/2016 instead of 11/19/2015.

My visa is valid till april of 2016. So i have one less thing to worry about! I emailed the consulate AFTER the visa was already in the mail but it I guess they AUTOMATICALLY update it anyway to avoid confusion!

YAY!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.