onwa

Congrats to Reggaedancer2

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
REGGAE!!!

WOOT-WOOT...

I am so so so incredibly happy to hear this news. This is absolutely fantastic.

I don't know whats in store for me. Some days I feel like I made the best decision by getting married. other days, I feel like I damned myself to start a new visajourney, fraught with new hurdles and problems.. the good think is that i will be in accra for a while doing research so kweku and i can sort some things out and figure what we want to do.

I think Im the last man standing from the africa forum olden days of 2005 ;) when i was in ghana for the holidays the embassy gave me some positive news, but i am so distrustful of everything that comes out of that place and the people's mouths i don't want to jinx myself. im glad to hear that they are responding to emails again. when i get to accra, i think i will bombard them with emails, phone calls and visits on a regular basis....

Congratulations on your marriage!!!

Have you changed to the immigrant visa then? I have no idea if it's true (as we have both had lies and inaccuracies told to us by workers at the Embassy) but my husband said if you apply for an immigrant visa for your spouse, then it can't be denied. That's what the workers at the Embassy told him several times. The workers also said they delay cases to see if the petitioner will give up.

I envy you going back to Ghana, I long to sit on the coast and eat Banku and grilled tilipia again......and visit Kumasi. I loved Kumasi.

Edited by ReggaeDancer2

Sent I130 September 23, 2004

Approved January 5, 2005

Interview date July 21, 2005

Told to pick up visa October 2005, but no visa issued.

Case went missing for six months - from October 2005 through April 2006

Emailed Embassy constantly, sent letter directly to director of Embassy by fax and snail mail

Response received April 2006 from Director - full of inaccuracies, but placed my husband's name on list to enter Embassy.

Husband entered Embassy in late April - told case worker working on our case quit, they were short staffed so no one touched our case; told to return in July 2006 to pick up visa.

July 2006 - no visa issued still, told case went to US for secondary approval.

August 2006 - US said case was approved in January 2005 and they did not have it.

September, October, November and December 2006, Embassy kept insisting they did not have our case. I emailed EVERY day until finally, response said my husband was called on the phone to pick the visa up six months earlier. My husband has NEVER been called on the phone by the Embassy.

Told to come pick up visa January 19 - said the "Ghanaians who print the visas didn't print them"

Changed date on blue slip and told to come back. Finally received the visa February 2, 2007.

THANK GOD!

Arriving in USA very very soon and I can't wait!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wow! I am happy for the both of you. Enjoy the time together, you've spent way too much time apart!

La Verdadera y El Sincero - Siempre

2005 - 2006 Spent falling in love

22 May 2006 My journey to Nigeria

24 May 2006 David proposes to me

9 June 2006 Mailed I129F to TSC

30 June 2006 NOA-1

Case Transferred to CSC

27 July 2006 Touched

5 Sept 2006 Called USCIS for case / IMBRA status

14 Sept 2006 Touched

19 Sept 2006 Touched Again!

23 Sept 2006 Received IMBRA RFE by postal mail (postmarked 20 Sept 2006)

25 Sept 2006 Response to IMBRA RFE sent Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation

29 Sept 2006 Rec'd Email stating RFE received

1 Oct 2006 Touched - Same RFE rec'd message

17 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Email

23 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Postal Mail

9 Nov 2006 Email from NVC (response to my inquiry) w/NVC case# - file to Lagos 6 Nov

13 Nov 2006 Received NVC letter via Postal Mail

20 Nov 2006 Fiance went to Lagos Consulate- Interview Date Received

7 Feb 2007 Interview-VISA GRANTED!!! -

12 Feb 2007 Visa in Hand!!! ***Scheduled arrival 23 Feb 2007***

23 Feb 2007 Arrived JFK USA!!!

12 May 2007 Married

23 May 2007 Filed AOS

25 May 2007 Rec'd NOA1

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Thank you everyone! It has been an extremely hard time - emotionally and mentally. I have not seen my husband for two and a half years! I never had the money to travel back and he was not allowed to come here during the immigrant visa process. I can't say I was a complete angel - there were fights, tears, threats to give up, but through all we prayed. I sent letters to everyone I thought might help us, in the end the only thing that worked was badgering the Embassy in Accra with endless emails. When I first started this process, the Embassy in Accra never answered any of my emails. Then last summer (2006) they started replying to me. In fact, when the called my husband to pick up his visa, they didn't call his name, they called out my name! The man who handed it to him told him "your wife disturbs us all the time, she is really fighting for you". It actually came down to my stubbornness to not let him go and let them win since at once point during this process, they told my husband that I didnt' really want him (this was before I started emailing every day for weeks).

I admit my husband's faith is so much stronger than mine. He will arrive next week. I wanted him to come immediately, but he had to take care of his business and family matters before arriving. Besides, with God on our side we have the rest of our lives to be together.

I stayed away from here for a long time because it was hard to read of all the visas getting passed out when the applicants started the process so much later than we did. I do believe there is discrimination built into the system. Case in point, I work with a Philipina who came to USA in May 2006 on a visitor visa. She married a white American (I say this so you will know its also an interracial marriage) and had her green card by September 2006. I know a woman who brought her Ghanaian fiance over on a visitor visa in January 2005 and he didn't receive his green card until August 2006. Both of these cases are in California, so you can't say it has anything to do with the state. I think there is a lot of mistrust when it comes to Africans.

I know we still have many hurdles ahead of us, but I think we can get through anything together.

I wish everyone still waiting best wishes, don't give up and always fight for what you believe in. I believe in love.

Ohh my. What a long journey. I am sure you both know, your union is blessed, if you can over come those obstacles in the visa process, the two of you can over come anything else.

CONGRTULATIONS :dance::dance::dance:

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.