kaleigh

Travel to UK before and after visa is issued

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello, everyone. I am a USC, and my boyfriend/fiance is a UKC. We are still deciding whether or not to go the K1 or K3 route, but at this time we are leaning towards the K3. The primary reason for this is because of the travel restrictions that are placed on the K1 visa, vs. the multiple entry allowances of the K3. If he needed to return to the UK temporarily for a family emergency, an approved K3 visa would allow this without issue, is that correct?

Assuming we pursue the K3 visa, I would apply for the UK Visit for Marriage visa, we would marry in the UK, and then I would return to the US to begin the process of bringing my husband over. However, I am aware that during this time there is a good chance that he may be denied entry to visit me in the US. Would this also hold true for me visiting him in the UK?

Also, as the spouse of a UK citizen, would I need a visa now or in the future to visit him and/or the UK if I am not going to settle there at this time?

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

yeah I noticed it didnt mention visiting either, lol..

Try emailing here: www.ukvisas.gov.uk/enquiries (thats a link to the email page)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Can't you just use the visa waiver to go back and forth? Since you have no intention of settling in the UK .............. Oh and be sure to bring some evidence of your intent to return to the US, just in case.

The K1 route means that the UKC isn't able to leave the US until they have their advanced parole, but in my case I had that in my hand in less than 4 months after my arrival on K1. In an emergency you can get that expedited. Obviously, it depends how quickly you marry and submit your AOS forms after he arrives on K1. I think 60 days processing for AP is about average.

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Timeline

My hubby and I married in the US and then he went back to the UK...we waited for 3 years before we filed any paper work (long story) in the 3 year time we seen each other every 3 months, I either went there or he came here.

On the advice of our lawyer...(not saying it was good advice), when going thru POE's we always just said we were visiting family and friends, and never was questioned.

It wasn't until we filed the I-130 and the K-3 did I actually say at the POE in Manchester UK that I was visiting my husband and that was a 3 week visit. the Officer only asked how long we had been married and when was he immigrating. My hubby did not travel to the US while K-3 was pending.

Not sure this was much help, just wanted to share my experience.

Patricia

OK here is our story (short version)

we have been married for 3 years anny was July 3rd.

We filed I-130 march 21, 2005

Receipt date march, 30, 2005

Approval notice July 1, 2005

Case # change NVC July 21, 2005

Lawyer recieved fee bills Aug 9, 2005

Filed I-129f March 23, 2005

receipt date April 7, 2005

Approved july 5, 2005

Recieved packet from london July 15th, 2005

Finally mailed packet 3 Aug 5th, 2005

Medical appointment Aug. 13th, 2005

Interview date Sep. 2, 2005 Approved!!

Visa in hand sep. 3, 2005

6d7cfb2.jpg.png

Timeline

If I can simply visit the UK on the VWP with documentation of the pending visa, that's ideal. I just couldn't find this anywhere on the web, as everything was in regard to a needing a visa to settle in the UK with a spouse.

The single-entry vs. multiple-entry is a big consideration for us as far as choosing to go with the K1 or K3. His parents in the UK aren't getting any younger, and if something were to happen and he needed to be with them quickly, the stress in having to deal with bureaucratic paperwork would be extremely difficult to deal with.

Out of curiosity, though, does anybody know how quickly an emergency AP can be turned around?

All of your information and experiences have helped. Thank you. This is a great board. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.