Tigersden

Medical in London

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First of all, thank you to all who responded to my post yesterday. I do aim to respond to you all, but I'm not been home long.

The Medical, a saga in one part, by Tigersden ;)

A sleepless night resulted in an early rise at about 4:30 am on Tuesday the 20th. My fiancee called me soon thereafter to wish me luck on the days tasks. We video chatted through skype for about 20 minutes before I had to head and grab a shower, and make sure for the millionth time that all was packed and ready for my trip to "The Big Smoke".

With sleep far from my mind, and nerves racing, I got into my car at about 5:30 and drove the 30 or so miles to Leeds so I could get the fast train down to London. Parked at work and walked over to the slightly bustling center of transport that I had passed through so many times before. The sweet smell of the bakeries readying their wares for the day, the low rumble of trucks and vans as they deliver their goods to the traders in preparation for the hordes that would descend upon them soon after.

Checked the display screens, located my train and headed through the barrier, making my way to the designated platform. The air was fresh but still warm as it had been cloudy the night before. A nice GNER train with comfortable seats and decent legroom was the order of the hour and as I settled down in my seat I started to note a few things in my makeshift journal - a letter to C. The train started off with a small jolt and I settled back into my seat, my nerves starting to calm a little at the day I had ahead of me. Rolling up my jacket into a pillow, I decided to try and get some sleep as I placed it between my head and the window. The two hours flew by as I drifted in and out of consciousness and I was soon at London Kings Cross.

Stepping out on to the platform, I headed towards the exit to try and get my bearings, the throngs of people around me causing me to panic slightly. I made my way up to the surface, the distinct difference in odour from "up north", and the drizzle making our capital city look a little depressing.

I ventured back down into the tube station, checking the tube map as to where I wanted to go. My appointment was at 11:15, so I figured that I could probably mill around for a bit beforehand, spend about an hour at my appointment, and then go explore some of the free things that there are to do in this famed city.

Purchased the necessary tube ticket, double checked where I needed to go, and headed into the cattle-pens that they call the Tube :) 10-15 minutes later I had arrived at Knightsbridge. I took my time to locate Basil Mansions - not difficult to find given the map that was given, but you wouldn't expect a Doctors facility to be located there!. I had an hour and a half to kill before my appointment and I was starting to get a little overwhelmed at the crowds, the traffic, and the very tall buildings. I noted from my maps that Hyde Park was across the way so I headed onwards to the green space :) C called me while I was doing this and we talked for quite a while. She'd had her own dramas during the night, and we talked through them. Conversing with her while I headed out in to the grassland and lake area that is Hyde Park really centered me. I am so grateful for that.

11am soon came around so I meandered back to Basil Mansions. Went in, handed in my forms and my passport to the receptionist and sat down in the waiting area, writing more in my makeshift journal. An administrator came through and handed me my passport and a questionnaire to fill in. I couldn't help but notice the "dated" look of the waiting room. Very "quaint" olde-english style decor. Not shabby, just dated :) Filled out the form and handed it back to the receptionist. At about 11:45 I was taken through to have a TDP shot as my Tetanus (or whichever one it was) was out of date for the US. Talked with the nurse about the Visa process, and about how my fiancee and I met. We also joked about my goofy passport photo that was attached to my form. She took me through to another waiting room which appeared to double as their kitchen!

Waited for about half an hour in there before I saw the Doctor. He was a very good natured German man who took the time to explain everything to me. We even ended up talking about the Visa process and his history as a doctor. I explained that C was doing her nursing degree, and the sort of work I would be looking at doing while I was over there. He asked a few cursory questions, weighed me, took my height and then had me strip down to my underwear and lay on the tabley couchey thing. He palpated my stomach, checked my eyes ears nose and throat, pushed down on either side of my groin and had me cough. He had me pull down my underwear "Just to check it's all still there" ;) and then listened to my breathing. He took my blood pressure, and a phial of blood.

Throughout all of this we were chatting away like we were good friends - he certainly made me feel at ease. He told me that everything seemed absolutely fine with my checkup, and if there was anything at ALL amiss with my blood test results, he would personally call me to discuss it. I thanked him for his time, and for his explanations of what was going on and why certain things were done. He said he understands what it's like when you've not gone through this before - far too many doctors say the same thing day in and day out and don't end up considering the important people - the patients :)

He led me back to the waiting room where I was sat with someone who appeared to be about my age, and a few families who didn't appear to speak English. Started chatting to the guy next to me and it turns out that he was in there for his K-1 medical too! I pointed him in the direction of this site for support and information, and we exchanged email addresses. He said that he'd not found anyone else who had been going through this process. I welcomed him to the fold :grins:.

After a while I was called through for my X-Ray - removed my top and my pendant necklace thing (a US coin that has been cut into two with interlocking hearts - C has the other half ^_^) and stood in front of the X-Ray film. I was made to stand like a chicken and was told to practice breathing in through my nose noisily :D When the radiographer was happy that I could do this simple task, my internal picture was taken and I dressed. We briefly chatted about how C and I met (Started talking 12 years ago?! WHat the ?!) hehe and then went back to the waiting room. About 5 minutes later was called back in to have it re-taken. There was a fault on the film itself. Went through the chicken posture, the deep breathing, and the internal mugshot again, and then was led back to the waiting room.

Started talking to my new friend and we were called through individually for them to take payment from us. £195. Ouch, but it was expected so I'd made sure to prep my bank balance for it :D. After that wallet-raping, I headed back to the waiting room, got my things together and headed out with our K-1 Comrade :) Walked past the Kensington tube station, where he was due to head off and get back to working on some artwork he's been commissioned to do. Looking at my watch in dismay, I noted it was around 2pm. I was due to get a train at about 4pm so couldn't really go expore. I wandered around Hyde Park for a while, revelling in its beauty and seclusion in such a busy metropolitan area, took a few photos, and ate a toasted sandwich.

C called me to see how it all went. We talked for a while and I expressed my sadness at her not being there with me to see all of this. I don't want to explore unless she is there with me - I want to share these new experiences with her. What has happened to the J that wanted to find new things on his own? I guess that part of me disappeared when I became involved with C. Not in a bad way, of course, it's just a case of we want to make "waves" together, and to learn things together. In a non-co-dependant way, of course ;)

It got to about 3pm and I decided it wise to head back towards Kings Cross. Rode the tube for the final time that day, made my way through the commuter crowds and eventually found my platform.

Managed to find a seat on the train that wasn't reserved (!) and settled myself down to doze. I was exhausted. The lack of sleep, and all that travelling combined with the nerves I'd experienced really zapped my energy.

As we pulled in to Leeds at about 6:30pm it was drizzling. Ahh, almost home. I made my way back to the car and started on the final leg of my journey home. Got to near the motorway and saw it was at a standstill. I was too tired to just sit in traffic - I would have fallen asleep at the wheel, so I took the back roads instead. Ended up getting home around 8:15, utterly exhausted but pleased that the day was over. Talked with C and my family to let them know I was back safe, and here I find myself with a big mug of refreshing tea, writing up my experiences.

A good day, got the essentials done, very tiring, but now only 2 steps to go ^_^ (Get I-134 from C and send off checklist, then interview!)

1995 Start talking online

2005-12-29 Meet for the 1st time

2006-06-07 & 20060928 J visits C

2006-10-02 J proposes

2006-10-27 I-129F Sent

2006-11-07 NOA-1

2006-12-16 C visits J

2007-01-18 NOA-2 Approval

2007-02-01 NVC receives our I-129F

2007-02-05 US Embassy Receives NVC Packet

2007-02-10 J Receives Packet 3

2007-02-12 J Sends back Packet 3 forms

2007-02-20 J had medical in London.

2007-02-28 J receives I-134 from C

2007-03-01 J sends off checklist to embassy

2007-03-23 J receives Packet IV

2007-05-11 J had interview and is approved :D :D :D

2007-05-15 Received visa!

2007-06-09 J & C enter US together - immigration was a breeze

2007-07-20 C & J Get married

Glad it all went alright for you

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

Yay to it all going well!

I went to the other doctors office but sounds like we had the same doc, lol. I liked him well.

I made a friend at the docs office too and she pointed me to here, wonder who she is? haha

Good luck on the rest going well! :dance:

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.