Jump to content

Can I keep my UK bank account?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all, not sure if you are fimiliar with this BUT,

I am now officially state-side... apartment, utility bills, BofA bank account, work authorization, travel authorization, etc. I still have a UK Halifax bank account that I use (linked to the residence that my parents are still at in the UK) and I use it often due to using my Paypal account with it but just absorb the fees when withdrawing dollars from it here in the US. I have an overdraft on tht account that I use sometimes too. Just wondered if anyone knows if it is strictly allowed to have a UK bank account still whilst living in the US? They haven't said anything to me yet and obviosuly can see all my transactions are US based so just wanted to know what people think? And if anyone is in the same boat?


Edited by 1k1please

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Don't worry!! As long as you're not in debt.

You can also change the address to the US address you're allowed to have a UK bank account even if you live abroad.

Just make sure your account is activate here and there because sometimes they can inhibit your account meaning it's dormant account (Noone is using it) and to reopen it you've to come back to the UK to your nearest Halifax branch with identifications.

In terms of your overdraft thats an agreement limit you have with the bank so you're good to use it, like I said make sure there's an income coming in to the account as ODF(Overdraft facility) gets reviewed anually and they might take it away from you if there's no income coming in.

Ps. you dont have income coming into the account if you just want it open. Just make sure there's money in there even if it's a £1 and keep it activate every once a month.


I work in a bank myself lol

Edited by Yanirose

Patience Is A Virtue - [The Beneficiary]

AOS From K1:
Approved 26th of September 2016


Filed - 9th of July 2018 (Package sent)

Packed Delivered: 12th of July 

NOA dated: 20th of July (I didn't receive it physically until August 6th. due to USCIS sending it to my previous address.)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure! You'll have to be sure to report those assets on your taxes that you file annually in the US (you won't be taxed on them, they just want to keep a check on things like laundering money I believe).

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.