535 posts in this topic

Thank you...

I was looking at some websites, lawyers kept saying, 'you need to mention about every traffic tickets etc.'

I finally found the answer at the USCIS website.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/chapter3.pdf

Question 7 clearly indicates that we don't need to... i am super happy now...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you...

I was looking at some websites, lawyers kept saying, 'you need to mention about every traffic tickets etc.'

Are you talking about a passport application or a naturalization application? I'm asking because you're posting on the passport tracker thread. If you're talking about passport applications, please ignore this.

On the naturalization application, YES, you do have to mention it. It asks you to list all times you were cited and you were cited. It's very simple. There's NOTHING at all anywhere on any guideline or instruction sheet that says that you don't have to mention it if it's under $500 for an N400 application.

Please re-read the link that you posted: the question that you quoted (question 7) DOES NOT say that you don't need to mention it. It says that you do not have to submit documentation for offences under $500.

If you received a citation and you say that you did not receive a citation, then you are clearly providing false information.

"Even if you have committed a minor crime, USCIS may deny your application if you do not tell the USCIS officer about the incident. Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine less than $500 and/or points on your driver’s license"

There's a good chance that your interviewer won't care, but I advice you to follow the instructions.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Thank you...

I'm not an attorney so my opinion is just for your reference. It sounds from your first post like you got an traffic ticket with no mandatory court appearance, then it is more a minor traffic offense and is NOT a "criminal offense." you may want to consult a real attorney and not just the websites. Only if you truly convicted a crime should you follow the instruction as such.

Thank you...

If you received an ticket without a mandatory court appearance, then it is more a minor traffic offense and is NOT a "criminal offense". Only if you are convicted a crime should you follow the instruction as listed in Question 7.

I'm not an attorney so this is not a legal advice. I would suggest that you consult a attorney in real life. There are a lot of attorney offer 30 minutes free consultancy.

Thanks JimmyHou...

No worries, I got my answer from that link, question/answer number 7, last sentence make it clear that "Unless a traffic incident was alcohol and drug related (mine was not), you do NOT need to submit documentation for traffic incidents that did not involve an actual arrest (no arrest in my case) if the only penalty was a fine less than $500 and/or points on your driver's licence" (mine was only $238).

So clearly I don't need to mention anything...

But thank you for your reply anyway...

Are you talking about a passport application or a naturalization application? I'm asking because you're posting on the passport tracker thread. If you're talking about passport applications, please ignore this.

On the naturalization application, YES, you do have to mention it. It asks you to list all times you were cited and you were cited. It's very simple. There's NOTHING at all anywhere on any guideline or instruction sheet that says that you don't have to mention it if it's under $500 for an N400 application.

Please re-read the link that you posted: the question that you quoted (question 7) DOES NOT say that you don't need to mention it. It says that you do not have to submit documentation for offences under $500.

If you received a citation and you say that you did not receive a citation, then you are clearly providing false information.

"Even if you have committed a minor crime, USCIS may deny your application if you do not tell the USCIS officer about the incident. Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine less than $500 and/or points on your drivers license"

There's a good chance that your interviewer won't care, but I advice you to follow the instructions.

Timeline

Thanks JimmyHou...

No worries, I got my answer from that link, question/answer number 7, last sentence make it clear that "Unless a traffic incident was alcohol and drug related (mine was not), you do NOT need to submit documentation for traffic incidents that did not involve an actual arrest (no arrest in my case) if the only penalty was a fine less than $500 and/or points on your driver's licence" (mine was only $238).

So clearly I don't need to mention anything...

But thank you for your reply anyway...

I won't push the issue, but I want to make sure there isn't a misunderstanding here... you've quoted that line twice, but it simply doesn't say that you don't have to mention it; it says that you don't have to provide evidence that the fine was paid.

"You do not need to submit documentation" means you do not need to give them a piece of paper proving that the fine was paid. It does not mean that you can answer "No" to the citation question when you were cited.

Seems pretty clear to me that you have to list all citations.

Anyway, we can disagree, but I wanted to point out the actual wording one more time in case it helps you. Good luck!

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

In a forum that I read, IO told the couple, "why did you answer 'Yes' to that question, unless something is serious. So I will take the citation with me along with the payment in case he brings it up.

That sentence is confusing anyway... I don't think there will be any problem... But thanks for your help again.

Timeline

In a forum that I read, IO told the couple, "why did you answer 'Yes' to that question, unless something is serious. So I will take the citation with me along with the payment in case he brings it up.

That sentence is confusing anyway... I don't think there will be any problem... But thanks for your help again.

Sounds like a good plan, just in case!

I won't push the issue, but I want to make sure there isn't a misunderstanding here... you've quoted that line twice, but it simply doesn't say that you don't have to mention it; it says that you don't have to provide evidence that the fine was paid.

"You do not need to submit documentation" means you do not need to give them a piece of paper proving that the fine was paid. It does not mean that you can answer "No" to the citation question when you were cited.

Seems pretty clear to me that you have to list all citations.

Anyway, we can disagree, but I wanted to point out the actual wording one more time in case it helps you. Good luck!

I think you are making simple thing complicated. It doesn't make sense to say yes but not submitting any documentation. When you tick "yes" with no documentation, it implies that you forgot to attach the related document, it may delay the case.

Whenever there is a yes to a violation, you will always find a space to fill in an explanation or you will be asked for supporting document. In this case here, there is no space in the form for explanation, and the FAQ clearly states that no documentation is required for normal traffic violation. I don't see the necessity to say yes, simply put, it is just not logical

I think you are making simple thing complicated. It doesn't make sense to say yes but not submitting any documentation. When you tick "yes" with no documentation, it implies that you forgot to attach the related document, it may delay the case.

Whenever there is a yes to a violation, you will always find a space to fill in an explanation or you will be asked for supporting document. In this case here, there is no space in the form for explanation, and the FAQ clearly states that no documentation is required for normal traffic violation. I don't see the necessity to say yes, simply put, it is just not logical

With the above being said, if you ticked "yes", you better attach a copy of the citation you received in order to avoid any possible delay of your case.

Thanks for the reply...

But i already answered him/her by saying, I will simply click 'No', and won't submit anything...

But if he finds out and brings up the citation, I will just say, that is less than 500 $ and not alcohol or drug related, so My understanding was not to mention about it... That will be my approach...

Because I read that if you say Yes, they expect something bigger case...

Thanks for the reply again...

With the above being said, if you ticked "yes", you better attach a copy of the citation you received in order to avoid any possible delay of your case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.