snz1802

Getting a Driver's License

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Well everyone, we are married now!!!! Yeahhhhh, it went really well, we had a blast. Just got back from our honeymoon and went to the Social Security office yesterday and applied for Zaeem's SS card. Now I am wondering about the Driver's License. I called the DMV and asked them the procedure and they were not much help. They told me he would need to bring his UK license and passport, then take the written test and driving test and he would get his license for Florida. Is this true? I asked them how long he was able to drive on the UK license and they stated 10 days only. I am really confused about this, because I looked on another thread about this and it stated that if he were to get his license now, it would only be good for 3 months. Should we wait until AOS is completed for him to go and apply for his Driver's License? Has anyone else ever had this experience and if you have could you please give me some advice as what to do. Thank you so much!!!!

Stacey and Zaeem Khan (F)

1/12/06 Mail I-129f express mail

1/13/06 TSC rec'd

1/23/06 NOA1 from CSC

1/27/06 - Check cleared

7/10/06 - NOA2

7/14/06- rec'd @ NVC

8/14/06- NVC sent petition to Consulate

8/17/06 - Korean Consulate rec'd Petition

8/23/06 - rec'd packet 3 from Consulate

8/25/06 - sent packet 3 back to Consulate

8/27/06 - got confirmation email from Consulate, they rec'd packet three

8/27/06 - requested interview date via Consulate internet site.

9/1/06 - Checked internet site for interveiw date, it was there

9/25/06 - Interview date - APPROVED

9/28/06 - Visa in Zaeems Hand - YEAHHHHH

1/6/07 - leaving for USA

1/20/07 - Wedding Date

1/20/07 - MARRIED!!!!!

2/10/07 - rec'd certified copy of marriage license

AOS

3/13/07 - AOS package rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

3/20/07 - Rec'd Social Security Card

3/21/07 - Checks Cashed and Case Status online

3/24/07 - NOA1 Rec'd for AOS and EAD

3/27/07 - rec'd Biometrics appt letter - scheduled for 4/20/07 @ 11:00am

4/02/07 - "touched"

4/20/07 - had biometrics appt.

4/21/07 - rec'd letter stating case was transferred to CSC

5/22/07 - rec'd Case Pending at CSC email

6/25/07 - EAD card production ordered

7/7/07 - EAD "touched"

7/7/07 - AOS "touched"

8-6-07 - Rec'd EAD Card in the Mail

5-20-08 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED - PASSPORT STAMPED

7-2-10 - Received 10 year green card in mail

Filed: Timeline

I don't know the answer to this, but being as I reside in FL, am greatly interested in the answer.

The only bit of caution I'd give is to check with your ins co if your hubby drives on his foreign lic whether or not he is insured under your policy if he drives your car

Once D and I took a road trip, and I inquired to my ins (State Farm) and he was not covered under the 'authorized drivers' thing, and to add him to the policy cost a ridiculous amt of $$$

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Every state and county have their own laws/rules - all I can say is it was a piece of cake in Idaho. We picked up a 'highway code' from the DMV and studied it - then just turned up to take our written - the girl behind the counter checked it over and said we had passed - gave us a piece of paper with the driving test instructors number on telling us to make our own arrangements for the practical part. We arranged the driving bit for the next day - drove around the block which took all of 10 minutes. He told us we had passed. We took our results to the lady at the DMV filled in some forms - she took our mugshots and handed us our driving licenses and that was it!

We did find out that insurance is much much cheaper once you have your license - so its well worth getting it sorted asap.

To get the best advice its worth going along to the DMV in person as it may be different for FL.

Good Luck

For detailed timeline - click on my name - then read our story

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline
Well everyone, we are married now!!!! Yeahhhhh, it went really well, we had a blast. Just got back from our honeymoon and went to the Social Security office yesterday and applied for Zaeem's SS card. Now I am wondering about the Driver's License. I called the DMV and asked them the procedure and they were not much help. They told me he would need to bring his UK license and passport, then take the written test and driving test and he would get his license for Florida. Is this true? I asked them how long he was able to drive on the UK license and they stated 10 days only. I am really confused about this, because I looked on another thread about this and it stated that if he were to get his license now, it would only be good for 3 months. Should we wait until AOS is completed for him to go and apply for his Driver's License? Has anyone else ever had this experience and if you have could you please give me some advice as what to do. Thank you so much!!!!

You have a computer as you are posting here, why not simply look it up on line? :unsure:

New Resident Who Already Has a License

If you're new to Florida, you're 18 or older, and already have a valid driver license from another state or country, getting your FL license can be really simple. You can use your current out-of-state license as your primary form of ID, so you'll only need a secondary form of identification. The $20 application fee will also apply.

In most cases you will be required to take the vision and hearing tests only. However, the DMV has the authority (and reserves the right) to require additional testing on a case-by-case basis.

Non-United States Citizens

Original Driver License or Identification Card Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth and social security number (if issued) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued.

Immigrants

Each immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-551); or

I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94; or

Immigration Judges Order, with the customer's A-number, granting asylum; or

I-797, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum; or

I-797 or another form from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer's application for Refugee status is approved

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/apply-license.php

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Our K-3 is not yet approved but my husband has been here to visit several times. He has driven my car and a rental car (Enterprise) with his UK license. Insurance has not been an issue. I asked my insurance company (State Farm - North Carolina) and they told me as long as his UK license was valid and I gave hime permission to drive the car it was covered. Once he moves I might have to provide more information to my insurance company but even then they say he is covered as long as he gets a NC license when he is legally able to.

Married : 08-04-2006, Cumbria, England

I-130

09-01-2006: Filed I-130 application

09-18-2006: NOA1 received

01-31-2007: NOA2 received (by email)!!

I-129F (K-3)

09-19-2006: Filed I-129F application

10-13-2006: NOA1 received

01-31-2007: NOA2 received (by email ... by mail on Feb. 5)!!

02-13-2007: received at NVC and sent to London Embassy

02-16-2007: received by London Embassy

02-27-2007: received and mailed back Packet 3

03-12-2007: Medical completed

03-15-2007: received email from Embassy providing interview date

03-19-2007: Packet 4 received by mail

04-18-2007: interview - approved!!!

04-21-2007: visa delivered

04-24-2007: husband arrives in US

04-27-2007: to civil surgeon for vaccination supplement

AOS & EAD

05-04-2007: Filed I-485 & I-765

05-11-2007: NOA for both (received by mail May 15)

05-16-2007: notice mailed for biometric appointment (received by mail May 21)

06-07-2007: RFE - USCIS can't find medical results - we have to return to civil surgeon and pay for another appointment

06-13-2007: biometric appointment

07-20-2007: EAD card production ordered

12-13-2007: interview & approved

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

You have a computer as you are posting here, why not simply look it up on line? :unsure:

New Resident Who Already Has a License

If you're new to Florida, you're 18 or older, and already have a valid driver license from another state or country, getting your FL license can be really simple. You can use your current out-of-state license as your primary form of ID, so you'll only need a secondary form of identification. The $20 application fee will also apply.

In most cases you will be required to take the vision and hearing tests only. However, the DMV has the authority (and reserves the right) to require additional testing on a case-by-case basis.

Non-United States Citizens

Original Driver License or Identification Card Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth and social security number (if issued) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued.

Immigrants

Each immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-551); or

I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94; or

Immigration Judges Order, with the customer's A-number, granting asylum; or

I-797, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum; or

I-797 or another form from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer's application for Refugee status is approved

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/apply-license.php

Actually we did look it up and we got different answers from the DMV and the website, this is why we are asking people for their experiences in Florida!!!! No need for sacrcasm, we are only asking for help. Thank you

Stacey

1/12/06 Mail I-129f express mail

1/13/06 TSC rec'd

1/23/06 NOA1 from CSC

1/27/06 - Check cleared

7/10/06 - NOA2

7/14/06- rec'd @ NVC

8/14/06- NVC sent petition to Consulate

8/17/06 - Korean Consulate rec'd Petition

8/23/06 - rec'd packet 3 from Consulate

8/25/06 - sent packet 3 back to Consulate

8/27/06 - got confirmation email from Consulate, they rec'd packet three

8/27/06 - requested interview date via Consulate internet site.

9/1/06 - Checked internet site for interveiw date, it was there

9/25/06 - Interview date - APPROVED

9/28/06 - Visa in Zaeems Hand - YEAHHHHH

1/6/07 - leaving for USA

1/20/07 - Wedding Date

1/20/07 - MARRIED!!!!!

2/10/07 - rec'd certified copy of marriage license

AOS

3/13/07 - AOS package rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

3/20/07 - Rec'd Social Security Card

3/21/07 - Checks Cashed and Case Status online

3/24/07 - NOA1 Rec'd for AOS and EAD

3/27/07 - rec'd Biometrics appt letter - scheduled for 4/20/07 @ 11:00am

4/02/07 - "touched"

4/20/07 - had biometrics appt.

4/21/07 - rec'd letter stating case was transferred to CSC

5/22/07 - rec'd Case Pending at CSC email

6/25/07 - EAD card production ordered

7/7/07 - EAD "touched"

7/7/07 - AOS "touched"

8-6-07 - Rec'd EAD Card in the Mail

5-20-08 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED - PASSPORT STAMPED

7-2-10 - Received 10 year green card in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.