Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

I 130 for parent

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Congo

I am getting ready to file the I 130 for my mother. According to the guide the items below is all I need. I was just wondering if I really don't need to send any photograph with my application?

Can someone who has gone thru this process tell me a little be about the steps what happens after it's approved by the USCIS?

ball.gif If you are applying to bring your mother to live in the United States, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (please note: if you have been legally adopted, you may not petition for your birth parent):

ball.gif Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (if you are filing for both parents, you must file a separate petition for each parent)
ball.gif A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother’s name
ball.gifIf your name or your mother’s name is different now than at the time of your birth, you must provide evidence of the legal name change.
ball.gif If you were not born in the United States, a copy of either
ball.gif your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or
ball.gif your U.S. passport

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


You don't need photos, that's for a spouse petition.

For a mother you need:

-Form I-130

-Proof of USC, i.e. copy of passport or nat cert. I assume you are already a USC.

-$420 filing fee

-Copy of your birth cert and translation

-Copies of any name changes, i.e. if you changed your name through marriage or court a copy of your marriage cert or court order for example, same thing if your mom has a different name. Plus translation if doc isn't in english.

That's about it. A parent petition typically requires very few documents especially when compared to a spouse petition.

Any originals and other things like photos and financial support you will need at the NVC stage.

Also G1145 for the online text/email notification of NOA.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...