LaRubia

I715 criminal history

18 posts in this topic

Like I said before, I don't think you violated any laws. You were simply denied entry. Let's put it this way: When you applied for your visa at the consulate, did they request this info or proof that you were detained? I assume it had to come up. Because if they didn't, it's because you didn't break a law and you weren't detained in a criminal sense so you can answer no to this question. They also ask this same question when you apply for USC.

Let's put it even simpler, if you weren't told that you were being detained or that you broke any laws, then for the purposes of answering this question, you weren't detained.

Let me give you an example: When I was in high school, I got "detained" by the cops because I was late to school and they thought I was cutting class (NYC is notorious for truancy), it was me and some other kid who was late too. After they let us go, they told us that if we were asked on an application or something if we had ever been arrested or detained, that this instance didn't count. I can't believe I didn't remember that until now lol.

So if you weren't told you were being held for questioning, or detained for violating a law, then I agree that simply put in a waiting room, denied entry and sent back to Canada doesn't count as being detained in the sense for this question. But like I said, you can answer yes, and write a letter explaining the situation as to why you put yes.

As for the place of marriage, they want the city and state (within US) city and country if outside US.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Thank you.
I appreciate all your help. I didn't mean to sound repetitive. I have always done all my paperwork myself and I always prefer to double, triple and quadruple check everything before I sent anything so there is almost no chance anything will be delayed.. etc.
It's crazy all the forms and fees we have to go through but it has to be done. :)

You're welcome. I know exactly what you mean I check my forms like a dozen times letter by letter, I can be slightly OCD lol. You are trying to do things the right way and it is completely understandable that you want to make sure everything is clear. So like I said if you feel that you were detained for violating a law, you can answer yes and then attach an explanation. USCIS will determine if this situation "counts" as be detained for breaking a law and ask if you if there is something that you need to submit. Good luck.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.