5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi

I have a question. My mother came to the United States as Permanent resident.

Now she is filing I130 for my younger sister.

In form I130 question 14 ask (Date and Place of admission for or adjustment of lawful permanent residence and class of admission)

I am just wondering what should I write there.

As she got approval for her Permanent residence back in the country, She arrived at IAD (Washington Dulles) Airport. But her immigration was cleared at AUH (Abu Dhabi) airport.

what should I put as her place of admission(IAD or AUH?

Thanks,

Hi,

The place of admission is wherever she entered the US with her immigrant visa, not where she received it. I'm not sure what you mean by her "immigration was cleared."

You don't get approved for permanent residence back in your home country, you only get approved for an immigrant visa. You get approved for permanent residence when you actually enter the US with the immigrant visa or adjust status while inside the US.

Therefore, if she entered through Washington Dulles, this is where she would have gotten her visa and passport stamped and where they took her visa envelope for processing. This is the POE port of admission.

As for the class of admission, it would be the category code on the front of the GC, or the one on her visa if she hasn't received her card. If she was petitioned by you, it should be IR5.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks for the answer, Actually she got her immigration cleared at Abu Dhabi airport (US has just started recently to clear immigration for the people traveling to US at Abu Dhabi Airport)

That's why her immigration cleared stamp is AUH (Abu Dhabi) however when she arrived at Dulles airport (IAD) she just got out of plane and came out of arrival area.

No checking or immigration at IAD(Dulless Airport)

Thanks,

I see. That definitely sounds complicated. However, I would still put down washington dulles. The reason being that your mom didn't become an LPR abroad even though she was precleared in abu dhabi. She became an LPR when she set foot on US soil, which was in washington dulles.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.