Ronn63

Getting started

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok...we are getting started bringing my wife's, (green card holder,) daughter, (in the Philippines,) over her via IR1/CR1. If I get anything wrong in here, please forgive and correct. My thought processes are now NIL. I'll be the petitioner filing for her as my step-daughter, (right?)

We have: I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. G-325, Biographical Information. I-864, Affidavit of Support. And the DS-230, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration.

I know the fees are going up, (ugh.) I file the I-130 now with the G-325A and a check for $420, and then what? After USCIS approves it, (from what I can tell it's about 5 months +?) Then what? Wait to hear from NVC? When do I pay the remainder of the fees, AOS=$88, IV=$230, Immigrant=$165? I know the medical at SLEC=$185 will be paid at the time of the medical. I think the DS-230 will be needed at the embassy at the time of the interview(?) Do I pay it then?

Just lining up all my duckies. Thank you in advance for all of your kindness!!!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, you'd be the one filing the petition. If her daughter is under 21 now and was under 18 at the time of your marriage, the category will be IR2. The G-325 isn't required for petitioning children. Check out the stepparent/stepchild section of the instructions:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

The AOS and IV fees are paid during the NVC phase. If you use an attorney to file the petition, both fees will become available to pay at the same time, which could be more than a month after NVC receives the approved petition from USCIS. Otherwise, the AOS fee is paid first, and after submitting the DS-261 (choice of agent) electronically, the IV fee could take up to two months to be generated (ours took a month and a half). DS-230 is the old IV application. It has been replaced by the DS-260, which is filled out and submitted electronically.

The immigrant fee is paid after getting the visa:

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-immigrant-fee

Timeline

Thank you for your responses. Great info as always!!

Just for my own info, why is it better for me to file my step-daughter? From what I can see, it's because I won't need a visa number to wait for?

Timeline

That's exactly right. If your wife petitions her, the category would be F2.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/family-preference.html#headerandtext_12

Although the wait for F2A petitions isn't that bad compared to some of the others, nothing beats an immediate relative petition from the standpoint of how fast the beneficiary can immigrate.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin/2014/visa-bulletin-for-september-2014.html

Timeline

Thanks 2014!!! So, an IR2 takes considerably less time. I hate to ask....how much less? Are we speaking in months or years until her youngin' gets off the plane? I see on the timelines where the initial petition goes from NOA1 to NOA2 is pretty quick. I guess the State Dept slows things down to a crawl?

thanks again!!

Timeline

Priority dates before January 1st of 2013 are now current for F2A beneficiaries from the Philippines, so as of right now, the difference between IR2 and F2A is more than a year and 8 months. Another important difference between the two categories is the way in which CSPA is applied.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/child-status-protection-act/child-status-protection-act-cspa

For an immediate relative petition, the beneficiary's age is frozen for the life of the case whereas in the family-based preference cases, the beneficiary's age is only frozen while the petition is pending at USCIS.

Assuming USCIS continues to auto-expedite Philippines petitions in the near future, you should definitely be able to get her here in under a year.

http://www.uscis.gov/news/uscis-extends-relief-measures-filipino-typhoon-victims

You're right though that the NVC phase is really sluggish right now.

Timeline

I don't think I have to worry about her aging out. Turned 6 in March. That's great news otherwise. I guess we better get our butts moving.

Initially, all that would be needed is the I-130, a check for $420, he birth certificate, and finally patience. Anything else at the beginning stage?

Timeline

You will also need to include proof of your citizenship, a copy of your marriage certificate, and proof of divorce (if either of you were previously married). Double check the instructions linked above for the complete list. You should also include the G-1145 with the petition. This way, you'll get electronic notifications of status changes and NVC will have your e-mail address on file as soon as they receive the approved petition.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.