x24

Weird I-130 approval notice

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have just received an approval notice for both my I-130 and I-129F applications. One thing I noticed is that on the I-130 approval notice, it said that my beneficiary (my wife) is in the states and will need to apply for an adjustment of status. My wife is still in the Philippines. I looked back at my I-130 documents and I have my wife's address as her address in the Philippines. She hasn't even entered the states yet.

One theory I have is that since the I-129F has been approved as well, the I-130 assumed that my wife will be applying for the AOS when she comes in. I'm planning on calling the USCIS service center tomorrow. I need to confirm a lot of things regarding my I-130. I'll list them here in case some of you can answer them:

- Since the I-130 is approved, is the I-129F automatically disregarded/discontinued? I would rather have my wife come in via the I-130 (I will save at least $1,000).

- We had a baby daughter after I filed for the I-130 (filed July 2006). When I became a citizen (November 2006), I was preparing the I-129F documents and called the USCIS service center to ask if I need to file for a separate I-130 for my daughter so she can come in with a K4 visa. The representative said she could just send an amendment to add my daughter's information to my wife's I-130 so there's no need to file a separate I-130. I should receive a notice of this amendment within 30 days. I still haven't received this notice and it's been over a month already. The rep did not give me a reference number either, unlike when I upgraded my petition when I became a citizen. The rep said I can put my daughter's info on the I-129F and suggested that I send a birth certificate along with it. I want to make sure that this amendment has taken effect when the I-130 got approved. On the I-130 approval notice, under the beneficiary, if the beneficiary had children listed on the I-130 form/G-325A, would their names be there too? My I-130 approval notice only had my wife's name on it. I want to make sure my daughter won't be left behind.

Edited by x24

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Update:

I have just received a notice from the NVC saying that they have received an approved I-129F petition filed on behalf of my spouse and within a week they will forward the petition to the US embassy in the Philippines. It seems that the processing of my I-129F is going along. Shouldn't they process the I-130 instead since that got approved as well? It's really hard to determine given that both my I-129F and I-130 were approved on the same day. This is really leading me to believe that the I-130 is considered "approved" since the I-129F was approved, hence the message on the I-130 approval notice stating that my wife is in the United States and will apply for AOS. I would really want to have the I-130 take precedence in this case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.