Alex3009

F1 visa-130 adjustment

10 posts in this topic

Hi I need some advise as far as being on a student visa and getting married and adjusting the status. My friend is on a student visa which expires soon. She just found out that she is pregnant. They want to get married and adjust her status. If someone can help me with a few questions I will appreciate it.

1) Does she need to file a I-130?

2) does she need to apply for an extension of the visa or will the filing of i130 automatically extend her visa?

3) can she work or go to school while the petition is pending? Or does she need to file something else?

4)!in your experience is it easier to file the i-130 or Fiancé visa petition?

Thank you for any info.

Follow this guide for status adjustment:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

1. She will have to file an i130 and i485 (to adjust status), also an i765 (for an EAD if she wants to work before she gets her green card) and an i131 (Advanced Parole) if she may want to leave the country while the green card is being processed

2. Once adjustment of status is filed, she will be in a period of authorized stay. Even if her visa expires, she can stay in the US until they decide her case

3. She can't work until she receives her EAD (from the i765) which takes a few months from filing. I'm not sure about school - probably someone more experienced can answer

4. If she gets a fiancé visa, she will have to adjust status after that anyway, so if she's in the US and doesn't have to leave anytime soon, marrying and adjusting status here is the fastest way to go. If she has to leave, it's fastest to come back on a fiancé visa, but again, she will still have to go through the AOS process (with the inability to work) even after the fiancé visa is approved. If she has to leave and can wait a little longer, the IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa will allow her to work as soon as her visa is approved but I believe that process takes longer. There's a comparison of spouse and fiancé visas here:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

AOS from TN (I'm the petitioner)

05-14-14: Married!

05-22-14: (Day 00) - AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765) overnighted to Chicago

05-23-14: (Day 01) - Package delivered and signed for by J.C.

05-30-14: (Day 08) - Email/text notifications received at 12:24am

06-05-14: (Day 14) - NOAs received in the mail

06-07-14: (Day 16) - Biometrics appointment received in the mail

06-20-14: (Day 29) - Biometrics complete as scheduled

06-26-14: (Day 35) - Received text that I-485 was moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

08-12-14: (Day 82) - EAD/AP card in production

08-20-14: (Day 90) - EAD/AP card arrived

08-27-14: (Day 97) - Received email for interview October 3rd

08-29-14: (Day 99) - NOA2 for interview received in the mail

10-03-14: (Day 134) - Interview at Federal Plaza - APPROVED! Card in Production email 20 minutes later!

10-09-14: (Day 140) - Received email that card was mailed

10-10-14: (Day 141) - Green card, Welcome to the US notice, and approval of I-130 received in the mail

ROC

08-02-16: Mailed ROC package to VSC

08-09-16: Check cashed

08-12-16: Received NOA dated 8-5

08-26-16: Received biometrics appointment for 9/8/16

07-13-17: New card is being produced!

Follow this guide for status adjustment:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

1. She will have to file an i130 and i485 (to adjust status), also an i765 (for an EAD if she wants to work before she gets her green card) and an i131 (Advanced Parole) if she may want to leave the country while the green card is being processed

2. Once adjustment of status is filed, she will be in a period of authorized stay. Even if her visa expires, she can stay in the US until they decide her case

3. She can't work until she receives her EAD (from the i765) which takes a few months from filing. I'm not sure about school - probably someone more experienced can answer

4. If she gets a fiancé visa, she will have to adjust status after that anyway, so if she's in the US and doesn't have to leave anytime soon, marrying and adjusting status here is the fastest way to go. If she has to leave, it's fastest to come back on a fiancé visa, but again, she will still have to go through the AOS process (with the inability to work) even after the fiancé visa is approved. If she has to leave and can wait a little longer, the IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa will allow her to work as soon as her visa is approved but I believe that process takes longer. There's a comparison of spouse and fiancé visas here:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Ok just to get this right: she will need to file I-130 and 485 at the same time?

Yes if she is getting married and adjusting status from within the US. Please see the AOS guide linked above. It has all the forms and information she will need.

05-22-14: (Day 00) - AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765) overnighted to Chicago

06-26-14: (Day 35) - Received text that I-485 was moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

10-03-14: (Day 134) - Interview at Federal Plaza - APPROVED! Card in Production email 20 minutes later!

10-10-14: (Day 141) - Green card, Welcome to the US notice, and approval of I-130 received in the mail

ROC

Yes if she is getting married and adjusting status from within the US. Please see the AOS guide linked above. It has all the forms and information she will need.

Thank you. Do you have any idea on the timeline? Since 2 forms are being filed, will the process take more than a year you think?

Thank you. Do you have any idea on the timeline? Since 2 forms are being filed, will the process take more than a year you think?

They are filed and processed simultaneously. You can check immigration timeline stats by clicking the "Immigration Timelines" link above and selecting AOS timelines. A lot depends on how well you fill out your paperwork, but the average seems to be 4-6 months to get a green card.

ROC

They are filed and processed simultaneously. You can check immigration timeline stats by clicking the "Immigration Timelines" link above and selecting AOS timelines. A lot depends on how well you fill out your paperwork, but the average seems to be 4-6 months to get a green card.

Thank you so much for the info.

Melibelle- I have been reading some the topics here and I don't know if you know this question. If filed with the adjustment of status, will i-765 be free?

Thank you

My F 1 is not expired or it will soon. However, I informed my international advisor about AOS. I have still been reminding in school since I first started AOS process. I don't think it is a problem for her to be in school. Just don't forget to tell the international advisor of her school.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.