Dan&Ellen

Shipping a Desktop Computer and Monitor

16 posts in this topic

I have quite a high end desktop that would cost me a lot to replace. It's important to my career as a software developer. I was wondering the best way to ship it to the USA. Will I have to pay import taxes? Has anyone had any experience of this or can recommend any companies? Or would I be better off individually packing the components, bringing the less robust ones in my carry on and buying a new case when I arrive. I don't fancy checking it in as I've seen how that luggage is thrown about...

I've decided to just not bother with shipping my rig and use it as an opportunity to build a next platform rig.. i've sold the vast majority of it already.

To ship my case and monitor alone via a parcel method it came out at over £300. Unless your rig is of the latest platform etc i personally wouldn't cause yourself the hassle of trying to ship it all

Filed: Timeline

It might be worth removing the components from their slots and re-assembling at the other end in new housing. Not sure what you'd do about the monitor though. Otherwise, I agree with phem0r, it's a bit cost-prohibitive if you are just shipping your desktop setup and nothing else, e.g., furniture or other household goods in a container.

I've decided to just not bother with shipping my rig and use it as an opportunity to build a next platform rig.. i've sold the vast majority of it already.

To ship my case and monitor alone via a parcel method it came out at over £300. Unless your rig is of the latest platform etc i personally wouldn't cause yourself the hassle of trying to ship it all

My husband took everything from inside the case and packed it all in his carryon luggage. Keyboard and mouse came too. No way to plug in a UK monitor, so it stayed behind. We stopped at a large electronic store (Frys.com) on the way home from the airport. He bought a case with power supply. He was up and running before dark, just a few hours after POE. He used a spare monitor I had until he decided what he wanted to purchase. You might want to order a case online and have it waiting for you if you don't have a convenient electronic super store with a large selection of components.

There is no import duty on any of your household items.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

My husband took everything from inside the case and packed it all in his carryon luggage. Keyboard and mouse came too. No way to plug in a UK monitor, so it stayed behind. We stopped at a large electronic store (Frys.com) on the way home from the airport. He bought a case with power supply. He was up and running before dark, just a few hours after POE. He used a spare monitor I had until he decided what he wanted to purchase. You might want to order a case online and have it waiting for you if you don't have a convenient electronic super store with a large selection of components.

Cool, how did he pack everything?

Was there any suspicion to what he was taking?

Will the power supply work in the states? I have quite a good one. It says 100-240v 50/60 hz, US is 150V 60 hz? Also I think I will put that in my hold luggage as it's fairly robust. I hope it doesn't arouse any suspicion!

Edited by Dan&Ellen

That can be done, i saw it as an opportunity to treat myself to a new system though :).

Will the power supply work in the states? I have quite a good one. It says 100-240v 50/60 hz, US is 150V 60 hz? Also I think I will put that in my hold luggage as it's fairly robust. I hope it doesn't arouse any suspicion!

What brand is the PSU? I used to work for Enermax and a lot of our PSU's auto switched. If there isn't a physical switch on the PSU for the different voltages then you'd need to look up the model etc to be sure. You'd have to check your monitor too, my 30in Dell U3011 won't work in America so on ebay it went

That can be done, i saw it as an opportunity to treat myself to a new system though :).

What brand is the PSU? I used to work for Enermax and a lot of our PSU's auto switched. If there isn't a physical switch on the PSU for the different voltages then you'd need to look up the model etc to be sure. You'd have to check your monitor too, my 30in Dell U3011 won't work in America so on ebay it went

PSU is OCZ. I'll probably get a new monitor because that will be too much hassle to ship. But I can't afford a new system of comparable spec right now.

Pack? I remember silver bags and bubble wrap. He said he still had the motherboard box so put that back in the box for travel.

Suspicion? None. You are immigrating. It is allowed. Maybe if you had 25 new iPhones still sealed in boxes, they would doubt it was your "household goods" IF they happened to search your luggage.

He said your power supply should work. If not, you can easily get one.

Well it was less than 4 months before he bought a new computer because it was even better and he thought quite cheap. But at least he was immediately on his computer on POE day for the price of a basic case...around $30 as I recall. I think he still uses that old UK keyboard.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Ok thanks for that, you've reassured me that bringing it is the best option. I still have most of the boxes too!

You know you are allowed one carryon bag and one personal item (usually a handbag for ladies). Take a backpack as your personal item to stow under your seat. You can cram a lot of extra stuff in that.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

You know you are allowed one carryon bag and one personal item (usually a handbag for ladies). Take a backpack as your personal item to stow under your seat. You can cram a lot of extra stuff in that.

Yeh I normally take a backpack as my carry on didn't figure I would be allowed to take one as my personal item too! I'm a frequent flier though so they might be more accommodating.

Forgot to add. You fill out a common customs form on the plane. Do not itemize or value you household goods. If you buy liquor duty free or a maybe a brand new pair of sunglasses at the airport and still have the price sticker on them, then those are not your household goods and would be listed. You get $100 of "new" items without paying duty. If the sunglasses were on your face with no price sticker, I guess they would appear to be something you already had.

You could take on one of those small rolling suitcases and a backpack.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Pack? I remember silver bags and bubble wrap. He said he still had the motherboard box so put that back in the box for travel.

Suspicion? None. You are immigrating. It is allowed. Maybe if you had 25 new iPhones still sealed in boxes, they would doubt it was your "household goods" IF they happened to search your luggage.

He said your power supply should work. If not, you can easily get one.

Well it was less than 4 months before he bought a new computer because it was even better and he thought quite cheap. But at least he was immediately on his computer on POE day for the price of a basic case...around $30 as I recall. I think he still uses that old UK keyboard.

Haha, I am taking my UK keyboard with me also :content: and my mouse, webcam and just peripherals. My fiancee has already suggested that i provide her with the list of items to buy so it's all there when i get there, which i thought was very nice of her!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Great question, i'm in a similar situation. I have a 21" iMac for my work and i'm not inclined to sell it even though I could pick up a replacement fairly quickly the other end.

My preferred option is to package it up and ship it, although without actually doing the packing and weighing the final parcel I can't get an accurate price right now. I estimated 10kg and got a price of £300 from FedEx. I'm hoping in reality it all weighs much less.

Since I cannot work immediately, thus rendering this desktop non essential for the time being, I am willing to consider slower shipping methods, but again finding an accurate price is even harder this way around!

I have three checked bags with my airline and I have considered taking it this way, but I don't feel so confident about its safety; airport "throwers" don't get their name for nothing. Maybe I should purchase a hard case for this one?

This one's a toughie right now! Sorry I have nothing useful to add here, its just comforting to know someone is tussling with the same thing.

I'm delighted that in every other area of personal effects I have managed to sell/give away/throw away, right down to the bones of my existence, and it feels good to be so light!

I surprised her with a proposal in Los Angeles, and this is how it went down!

Great question, i'm in a similar situation. I have a 21" iMac for my work and i'm not inclined to sell it even though I could pick up a replacement fairly quickly the other end.

My preferred option is to package it up and ship it, although without actually doing the packing and weighing the final parcel I can't get an accurate price right now. I estimated 10kg and got a price of £300 from FedEx. I'm hoping in reality it all weighs much less.

Since I cannot work immediately, thus rendering this desktop non essential for the time being, I am willing to consider slower shipping methods, but again finding an accurate price is even harder this way around!

I have three checked bags with my airline and I have considered taking it this way, but I don't feel so confident about its safety; airport "throwers" don't get their name for nothing. Maybe I should purchase a hard case for this one?

This one's a toughie right now! Sorry I have nothing useful to add here, its just comforting to know someone is tussling with the same thing.

I'm delighted that in every other area of personal effects I have managed to sell/give away/throw away, right down to the bones of my existence, and it feels good to be so light!

Just google iMac weight followed by the year, for instance the currently 21.5" iMac is 5.68kg. You can then weight the packaging on it's own and add it up, it'll give you a more accurate total weight that you can work from

I'm in the same position with every other belonging, it was has been seold, given away or donated :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.