lilsadie

Different wages in the USA

9 posts in this topic

Hi! Just got word from our attorney that out K1 will be submitted next week! Super excited. Im keen to hear from Aussies about how they feel about the difference in Wages. I dont have any qualifications and have been lucky enough to work my way up with out one in Aus. Ive been looking at basic admin jobs in the USA and the wages seem to be between $10-$15 an hour for this (OMG) im totally freaking out that I could be busting my hump for $350 a week... How are other people coping with getting their heads around the income difference? (Im planning on doing a real estate course when I get there but its a long road till I am on a show like million $ listing and getting thousands of $$ in commission lol) Everyone keeps telling me that living is way cheaper but how do people save on that kind of wage?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was on $80K before I left Australia for London. My Fiancee lives in Mississippi (one of the cheapest states in the country, but also the wages are lower), I was amazed with how cheap it is. You can easily rent a 2 bedroom apartment there for less than $600 a month. In Brisbane, I would be paying about that a week for a 2 bedroom apartment.

I suggest you look up (or ask your partner) how much rent, etc is. That's usually a good indicator of how much your expenses will be.

04/15/2014 - Filed I129-F

04/22/2014 - NOA 1 received (TSC)

08/11/2014 - Notice of transfer received (CSC)

09/18/2014 - NOA 2 received

11/12/2014 - Interview Date (approved)

12/01/2014 - US Arrival Date

12/10/2014 - Married

02/05/2014 - AOS Filed

02/28/2015 - Notified of Request for Initial Evidence

03/10/2015 - Sent Requested Evidence

04/03/2015 - EAD and Advanced Parole Approved

Ive been looking at houses around where we will be living and they are sooo expensive!! We pay around $2000 a month here in Melbourne but we are on a good income. It looks like its around the same in San Diego for rentals but ill be being paid $20 less an hour! Oh well, guess we will have to look for a place in a less desirable suburb!!! Im excited that living costs will be less though! I guess it all works out in the end! Thank goodness for her kind parents having a place we can stay for as long as we need!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Truthfully, I'm not sure I really understand the wage difference. My husband is in the medical field and we're living in the US. His job is non existent in Australia on a full-tim basis. We have found a very rough equivelent, and he'd be earning $8,000ish less in Australia. My mother, who works in child services in Australia, earns almost $10,000 less than that. It all depends on the field and what's being demanded at the time.

I agree with the rent. In Michigan, we got an average one bedroom apartment for $500 a month. I was gobsmacked. You'd pay that a week in the outerskirts of Sydney.

Truthfully, I'm not sure I really understand the wage difference. My husband is in the medical field and we're living in the US. His job is non existent in Australia on a full-tim basis. We have found a very rough equivelent, and he'd be earning $8,000ish less in Australia. My mother, who works in child services in Australia, earns almost $10,000 less than that. It all depends on the field and what's being demanded at the time.

I agree with the rent. In Michigan, we got an average one bedroom apartment for $500 a month. I was gobsmacked. You'd pay that a week in the outerskirts of Sydney.

Wages are higher in Australia compared to the US for low to medium level positions. But that tends to reverse once you move up higher on the income/skill level scale. Of course, as you say, it can vary from field to field.

I-129F posted: 25/11/2013

NOA1: 9/12/2013

Alien Registration Number Changed: 10/12/2013

NOA2: 5/2/2014

Received at NVC: 19/02/2014

Left NVC: 24/02/2014

Received at Consulate: 10/03/2014

Received Packet 3: 10/03/2014

Consulate Interview: 8/04/2014

POE LAX: 2/07/2014

Married: 11/07/2014

AOS posted: 17/07/2014

Timeline

AS above, it really does depend on the field and the demand for quality applicants. I am surprised about the child care though.

12/10/2014 - Married

02/05/2014 - AOS Filed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Wages are higher in Australia compared to the US for low to medium level positions. But that tends to reverse once you move up higher on the income/skill level scale. Of course, as you say, it can vary from field to field.

That's very true, actually. (Light bulb moment). The lower class tends to be a lot lower class here than in Australia.

Timeline

That's very true, actually. (Light bulb moment). The lower class tends to be a lot lower class here than in Australia.

That's true. Although that contributes to the far higher cost of living in Australia (the minimum wage argument where if you increase minimum wage the cost of everything else increases).

12/10/2014 - Married

02/05/2014 - AOS Filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.