J_A

I-864 questions

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello,

I am trying to complete the I-864 form for my husband who is a petitioner.

I have a few questions to ask and am hoping someone could answer for me...

1) My husband is currently in Japan so we have a joint sponsor who needs to file the form I-864.

This sponsor uses assets to suppliment income. He is married and has a saving account & a

proof of house value in both his name and his wife's name. Should his wife need to file the form I-864A?

2) If so, the part 7 on the form I-864, the # 5b has to be 0$? Putting their total assets there is not right because

there is the # 10 that should be the total amount of assets.

In addition the # 12d on the form I-864A is filled out as the same number as the # 10 on the form I-846. Is this correct?

I am so confused and has anyone had the same experience as mine?

Thank you for you help...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

This is an interesting question and unfortunately I am not an expert on the matter, so I can merely give you my opinion.

When a couple has a joint account, it usually means they both are equal owners with equal access to the account. It does not mean that they both have to concur on the usage of the account for every transaction.

Therefore, I think the answer to your first question is no, the I-864A form is not needed. If you did go with that route the assets would be counted twice as you found out.

Edited by Yagisama

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.