VisagirlNJ

Question for UK immigrants Re Education.

4 posts in this topic

I want to go to Community College here in the USA ...I have CSE certification from school as well as City and Guilds and a Certificate in Drug Abuse Awareness which is supposedly equivalent to an A level.

Does anyone know if this can be certified as a High School Diploma and if so by whom or where?

Thanks

Late November 2004 Sent out I-129 package

December 8, 2004 NOA2 approved

February 2005 Receives Pakcage 3

Late April, 2005 Sent back package 3

Early August 2005 Receives package 4

November 2, 2005 Medical

November 8, 2005 Interview... success!

November 9, 2005 Received Visa at 9am by courier

May 2 or 3,2006 He arrives in the USA

May 13, 2006 Wedding

July 3, 2006 Sent out for AOS, EAD, and AP

July 13, 2006 Received NOA's for all three

Sep. 21, 2006 Received AP

Sep. 23, 2006 Received EAD. YAY!

February 15, 2007 Approved without interview!! Card ordered for production

February 16, 2007 Mail notice sent welcoming new permanent resident

December 23, 2008 Sent in I-751 to remove conditions

January 5, 2009 Received NOA

February 6, 2009 Biometrics appt.

now just waiting....

Hi, this is actually my first year in college in the states but i too attended what you call a comunity college in the UK. I got a national diploma in electrical engineering along with an A level in I.T. and a bunch of city and guilds stuff for electrical installation. None of those transfer as credits or qualifications to my current school. I was given the oppurtunity to test out of whatever classes i wanted to but there is a fee of i think $70 per class. If its just a high school diploma equivalency you need to be accepted into a school here then it doesn't really matter as long as you have something to show that you did finish high school in the UK. Community colleges dont really care because you have to take the placement tests anyways. Hope this helps somewhat.

POE

27 Sep 2005 - Arrived in MN

07 Oct 2005 - Applied for SS#

13 Oct 2005 - Received SS Card

21 Oct 2005 - Passed Driving Test

22 Oct 2005 - Got Married

AOS Process

21 Nov 2005 - Mailed AOS & EAD

05 Dec 2005 - Received AOS & EAD NOA1

05 Dec 2005 - Received Drivers License

05 Dec 2005 - Received letter to revoke my license for not proving resident status.

06 Dec 2005 - Applied for new Drivers License with NOA1

13 Dec 2005 - RFE concerning AOS

21 Dec 2005 - AOS touched (120-180 days)

07 Mar 2006 - Biometrics Apt for EAD & AOS

08 Mar 2006 - EAD touched

14 Mar 2006 - EAD approved online

16 Mar 2006 - EAD received in mail

25 Mar 2006 - AOS interview letter

01 Apr 2006 - Go my first job!!!!

23 May 2006 - AOS Interview - Approved

Hi, this is actually my first year in college in the states but i too attended what you call a comunity college in the UK. I got a national diploma in electrical engineering along with an A level in I.T. and a bunch of city and guilds stuff for electrical installation. None of those transfer as credits or qualifications to my current school. I was given the oppurtunity to test out of whatever classes i wanted to but there is a fee of i think $70 per class. If its just a high school diploma equivalency you need to be accepted into a school here then it doesn't really matter as long as you have something to show that you did finish high school in the UK. Community colleges dont really care because you have to take the placement tests anyways. Hope this helps somewhat.

Thank you very much...I know CSE qualifications are not worth much anymore but that is what I have to prove I completed High School in the UK...Pity about my other qualifications though seems a waste.

What Im looking to do is core studies at community college and then transfer to a four year college to attain a degree.

Thanks for your help.

Late November 2004 Sent out I-129 package

December 8, 2004 NOA2 approved

February 2005 Receives Pakcage 3

Late April, 2005 Sent back package 3

Early August 2005 Receives package 4

November 2, 2005 Medical

November 8, 2005 Interview... success!

November 9, 2005 Received Visa at 9am by courier

May 2 or 3,2006 He arrives in the USA

May 13, 2006 Wedding

July 3, 2006 Sent out for AOS, EAD, and AP

July 13, 2006 Received NOA's for all three

Sep. 21, 2006 Received AP

Sep. 23, 2006 Received EAD. YAY!

February 15, 2007 Approved without interview!! Card ordered for production

February 16, 2007 Mail notice sent welcoming new permanent resident

December 23, 2008 Sent in I-751 to remove conditions

January 5, 2009 Received NOA

February 6, 2009 Biometrics appt.

now just waiting....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My daughter didn't actually graduate HS in England, she was 13 when she got here. But her school in England contacted her Guidance Counselor here in the US and explained the English system of education to them. The school took into account the number of hours she had spent on certain subjects and they were applied as credits here in the US.

I guess it depends on just how receptive a school you have here and how willing the school in the UK is to deal with them. We were lucky and my daughter is now in her second year of University and doing amazingly well.

Have a word with the Guidance Counselor at the CC you want to attend and ask if you can have your CSE's transferred as HS credits. It's worth a shot!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.