sudheer059

Financial documents for F2 visa when Primary visa holder on OPT

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm a F-1 visa holder and working on OPT currently. I am applying for a dependant visa (F2) for my wife. My college generated a new I-20 for me and added an additional amount of 3000 $ as expenses for the dependant. So, the total amount shown in my I-20 is 33000. So, when applying for a dependant visa ,

1. Do I have to show financial statements showing that I can cover expenses for the whole amount shown in my I-20 or only for the additional amount (3000$)?

2. I have taken statments from a bank as proof of financial ability while applying for my F1 visa. NOw, can I show my paystubs as proof of financial capability ?

3. If I am required to show proof of financial ability for the whole 33000 $, can I submit a statement that my dad would sponsor this amount? Though my pay stubs would cover this whole amount, I do not have sufficient amount in my bank account now.

Thank you.

Filed: Timeline

Not relevant..what matters are two things: 1- why would she return? 2- what dd you tell thr VO about your return toyour country after your studies and whether or not your wife was staying behind...if either of those stories have changed, well, $3000 in a bank account won't matter.

First of all, thanks for your reply...

I think there was a little misunderstanding...I am currently in the US on F-1 visa (working on OPT) and would like my wife to join me... She is currently in India and I'd like to apply for a F2 visa for her.. The I-20 issued to my wife shows 33000 out of which 30k is for my studies and 3k for my wife's living expenses.... As I've completed my studies, do I need to show proof of financial capacity for 33k or only 3k when she attends her visa interview ? Thanks...

Filed: Timeline

I don't think there was a misunderstanding. I think what RhettVoe was trying to say was that -- you are at the end of your student time in the U.S. since you've finished your degree and are on OPT, so the visa officer might question why your wife is only now applying (unless it's a recent marriage). Might look to the interviewer that you are getting her to the U.S. now while you still can and then perhaps not leave.

As OPT is still part of your student status and covered by your I-20, you have to show your ability to support yourself and your wife based on what the school says is required (as listed on the I-20) -- the whole $33,000.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.