Karee

Can't send money to Thailand via Western Union Online

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Got this message today:

We're sorry, but we do not offer online money transfer service to Thailand at this time. Destination countries for our online money transfer are updated frequently. Please check back often. We apologize for any inconvenience.

You can still send a Western Union Money Transfer to Thailand by visiting a nearby Agent location .

Anyone else seeing this?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I stopped using WU years ago.

There was some talk a while back about an issue between the US and Thailand because they would not put anti money laundering procedures into place. Perhaps this is carry over from that. Complete guess of course.

Timeline

I stopped using WU years ago.

There was some talk a while back about an issue between the US and Thailand because they would not put anti money laundering procedures into place. Perhaps this is carry over from that. Complete guess of course.

Bingo. That's what the lady on the phone at Western Union said. Some issue with the Thai government. Odd thing is, I was still able to do it over the phone though.

I wonder what economic impact this will have on the bar girls?

Timeline

Nothing will separate a bar girl from her money. If there is a sucker...... a will, there is a way. rolleyes.gif

Usually her Thai boyfriend/husband does a pretty good job of it.

Timeline

I created a second account in my checking and sent over just a Debit card to my family there. They can remove money when we say so with what we put it. Works wonders smile.png

I did that when my wife was still there. I need to think about if I should do that with her family.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Works fine now. I noticed they updated their website. Might have had something to do with it.

By the way if you use your bank's BILL PAY service to pay Western Union there is no service charge at all and it only takes around 1-3 business days for the transaction to go through.

I tried the second account debit card thing but there is a 150 baht charge every time it gets used so I just went back to Western Union.

WU is still a good service if you are not in any kind of hurry to send money there.

12-14-2012 I-130 Submitted
12-17-2012 NOA1
12-21-2012 Touched
03-21-2013 NOA2 (94 days)

05-23-2013 Received at NVC (63 days)

06-10-2013 AoS Invoice Paid

06-12-2013 AoS Delivered

07-03-2013 AoS Approved

06-17-2013 IV Invoice Paid

06-24-2013 IV Delivered

07-17-2013 IV Approved

07-17-2013 NVC Case Complete (54 days)

07-31-2013 Received Interview email (dated 07-30-2013)

09-04-2013 Interview (Approved)

Timeline

if you want to save western union fees, have whoever you send money to open a bangkok bank account - then you can transfer via ACH to the Bangkok Bank US branch

Timeline

if you want to save western union fees, have whoever you send money to open a bangkok bank account - then you can transfer via ACH to the Bangkok Bank US branch

Isn't the wire transfer a $35.00 fee? Because they have Bangkok Bank and last time I did that, Bank of America dinged me $35 for the wire transfer fee.

Timeline

Isn't the wire transfer a $35.00 fee? Because they have Bangkok Bank and last time I did that, Bank of America dinged me $35 for the wire transfer fee.

Yes - that's why I said to use Bangkok Bank and ACH to their New York branch - which is a DOMESTIC transfer just like from say Wells Fargo to Bank of America. It's free and you can do it online usually, and Bangkok Bank charges you a rather small fee (I forget how much but not bad) to move it from the New York branch to the Thailand bank account.

Timeline

More information here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/transferingfunds/transferringintothailand/receivingfundsfromusa/pages/receivingfundsfromusa.aspx

Most relevant:

ACH Routing Number: 026008691

Account Number: Recipient's Bangkok Bank account number

Timeline

Yes - that's why I said to use Bangkok Bank and ACH to their New York branch - which is a DOMESTIC transfer just like from say Wells Fargo to Bank of America. It's free and you can do it online usually, and Bangkok Bank charges you a rather small fee (I forget how much but not bad) to move it from the New York branch to the Thailand bank account.

I must have done it wrong, because I did the exact same thing. I sent it to the Bangkok Bank ABA number in the U.S. BoA still charged me $35.

Timeline

I must have done it wrong, because I did the exact same thing. I sent it to the Bangkok Bank ABA number in the U.S. BoA still charged me $35.

Yes if you do a wire transfer it still has that fee - you need to just add it as an account, usually you can add an account online... Or ask them to do an "ACH (Automated Clearing House) Transfer"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.