jezebelseven

I-134, questions 9 & 10 (submitted previous petitions)

2 posts in this topic

As mentioned in other threads, my mother is cosponsoring my fiance. Over 12 years ago, my mother married a man who was here on an overstayed work visa. They are now divorced, but he is a US citizen. I kind of doubt anyone will have a similar experience, but here's hoping.

Now, my mother is getting up there in her age and she has a few memory problems, so she can't be sure what she filed that many years ago, what with form name changes and general forgetfulness. So we're assuming they did do some sort of visa petition and submitted an affidavit of support for him, but we're not 100% certain. As much of a packrat as she is, she has went through nearly every last shred of paperwork she still has trying to find out for certain and to get a date for 'date submitted', but so far we've found absolutely nothing that helps us here.

Assuming the last few boxes we go through are just as unrewarding, any ideas as what to do? Is there a way to contact anyone, DOS, USCIS, whatever, to get copies of these ancient papers or find out when they were filed? If not, should we just guess on the date, leave the date blank, just put an approximate year (1993-1995 or so is our guess as they married in Nov 1994?)?

Asking the ex husband is unlikely to be much help-- he is known for being awful at bookkeeping and we believe he may have either thrown out these papers upon getting his citizenship, thinking he didn't need them, or he may have brought them back to Algeria as he had planned on moving back for a long while, but eventually moved back here.

So, any ideas? Thanks in advance as usual to those of you who've got a few nuggets of wisdom for us!

UNST0001.gifbritkit.jpgUNKG0001.gif

Asking the ex husband, he's saying that she never filed a visa petition for him at all but she did support him, although he seemed very confused, but that's his nature, he doesn't listen to the question asked, and says yes when he means no and similar fun things.

So we're now really only worried about question 9 as we believe question 10 is going to be a 'n/a'.

UNST0001.gifbritkit.jpgUNKG0001.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.