nufcfc

DS-156K form

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hey, it says in this form 'the following documents must be attached in order to apply for a fiancé non-immigrant visa' and has listed items such as birth certificate, police certificate, evidence of financial support, evidence of engagement' etc. but on the London embassy website it says to send in all the forms as step 1 but step two is to gather all those documents.

so when people sent the forms ds-230 part 1, ds-156, ds-156k and ds-157 to their embassy, did you include those items? or just take them to the interview?

This part of the k1 journey gets confusing. thanks.

hey, it says in this form 'the following documents must be attached in order to apply for a fiancé non-immigrant visa' and has listed items such as birth certificate, police certificate, evidence of financial support, evidence of engagement' etc. but on the London embassy website it says to send in all the forms as step 1 but step two is to gather all those documents.

so when people sent the forms ds-230 part 1, ds-156, ds-156k and ds-157 to their embassy, did you include those items? or just take them to the interview?

This part of the k1 journey gets confusing. thanks.

Good question! London does NOT want you to send any of your important docs, passport, birth cert, financial evidence etc. etc. through the post they want you to bring these to the interview.

All they want you to send them is the DS forms and a cover letter saying when your approx wedding date is with your email address and contact details (and any special requests i.e partner wants to come to interview with u, must request to have interview asap as flights booked already).

:)

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Timeline

Good question! London does NOT want you to send any of your important docs, passport, birth cert, financial evidence etc. etc. through the post they want you to bring these to the interview.

All they want you to send them is the DS forms and a cover letter saying when your approx wedding date is with your email address and contact details (and any special requests i.e partner wants to come to interview with u, must request to have interview asap as flights booked already).

smile.png

ok that helps thank you! so did you sent the cover letter with the DS forms? because again on the embassy website it says send the ds forms, then when I have all the documents I need to send the ds-2001 with a cover letter?

ok that helps thank you! so did you sent the cover letter with the DS forms? because again on the embassy website it says send the ds forms, then when I have all the documents I need to send the ds-2001 with a cover letter?

I sent everything all together, DS forms and DS-2001 and cover letter, i sent them all in one big bunch a few days before my medical and put this on my cover letter

Case Number: LND2*********

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to inform you that I am now ready for my interview.

Please find enclosed DS - 230 Part 1, DS –156, DS – 157, DS- 156k and

DS-2001

My email address is ********

My medical exam is scheduled for 13th August 2013

My wedding date is 21st of September 2013.

I understand you wont be

able to book my interview until my medical results have reached you. Id

be able to attend any date interview, even if its last minute with little

notice please consider me for an interview date as soon as possible. Id

very much like to have my visa by my wedding date.

Thank you

Yours Sincerely,

You can send the Readyness form if you have the finance docs u need and birth cert. Even if you havent had your medical yet. As long as u have these docs, you are READY. or if u are still waiting for them just send the cover note later with the readyness form

P.S note i put my wedding date is a little earlier than it actually is, they wont hold you to the wedding date you put it just means you'll get an earlier interview than someone who lists December as their wedding date

Edited by Azsara

Our Story AoS
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand

Timeline

I sent everything all together, DS forms and DS-2001 and cover letter, i sent them all in one big bunch a few days before my medical and put this on my cover letter

Case Number: LND2*********

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to inform you that I am now ready for my interview.

Please find enclosed DS - 230 Part 1, DS –156, DS – 157, DS- 156k and

DS-2001

My email address is ********

My medical exam is scheduled for 13th August 2013

My wedding date is 21st of September 2013.

I understand you wont be

able to book my interview until my medical results have reached you. Id

be able to attend any date interview, even if its last minute with little

notice please consider me for an interview date as soon as possible. Id

very much like to have my visa by my wedding date.

Thank you

Yours Sincerely,

You can send the Readyness form if you have the finance docs u need and birth cert. Even if you havent had your medical yet. As long as u have these docs, you are READY. or if u are still waiting for them just send the cover note later with the readyness form

P.S note i put my wedding date is a little earlier than it actually is, they wont hold you to the wedding date you put it just means you'll get an earlier interview than someone who lists December as their wedding date

ok this is great information thanks! i'm just waiting on my police certificate to arrive. also I just noticed today that my birth certificate doesn't have my parents' names on it. so i'm gonna have to find out where to get one from. did you fiancé in the USA have to send you an intent to marry letter again? to just revalidate it?

ok this is great information thanks! i'm just waiting on my police certificate to arrive. also I just noticed today that my birth certificate doesn't have my parents' names on it. so i'm gonna have to find out where to get one from. did you fiancé in the USA have to send you an intent to marry letter again? to just revalidate it?

Yea you need the long version birth cert so hold off with the readyness form for now! :)

Yes he did send me an updated letter of intent saying he still wanted to marry me, but i later found out this will not be required, you only need it if your NOA2 expires

Our Story AoS

K1

[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)

This is EXACTLY how London tells you to do it. I endorse this way.

But all together works too, though I don't think it is an advantage.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Yea you need the long version birth cert so hold off with the readyness form for now! smile.png

Yes he did send me an updated letter of intent saying he still wanted to marry me, but i later found out this will not be required, you only need it if your NOA2 expires

Ok this is good stuff. So do you still need to take passport photos to the interview or not because we put them on one of the ds forms? also is it best to take photo copies of the original documents, along with the originals, to the interview?

This is EXACTLY how London tells you to do it. I endorse this way.

But all together works too, though I don't think it is an advantage.

Nice one, thanks!

Ok this is good stuff. So do you still need to take passport photos to the interview or not because we put them on one of the ds forms? also is it best to take photo copies of the original documents, along with the originals, to the interview?

Nice one, thanks!

If you have already attached your photo to the forms then thats fine. Though I would bring another photo because the embassy website states you need THREE (one of which is given at the medical) so it would stand to reason you would need to bring 2 to the interview. Are they US sized?

The most important part of the forms is the original but i have a couple of photocopies of each.

As Nich-Nick likes to say "better safe than sorry"

Edited by Azsara

Our Story AoS

K1

[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)

Timeline

If you have already attached your photo to the forms then thats fine. Though I would bring another photo because the embassy website states you need THREE (one of which is given at the medical) so it would stand to reason you would need to bring 2 to the interview. Are they US sized?

The most important part of the forms is the original but i have a couple of photocopies of each.

No I don't even have the US size passport pics yet. I'm gonna get them done in the next few days and attach them. then send my DS forms to the embassy. I'll send the DS-2001 form later because i'm still waiting for my police certificate and I'm going to have to make an appointment to get an up to date birth certificate. But if I can get these DS forms sent off then that's one less thing to do.

No I don't even have the US size passport pics yet. I'm gonna get them done in the next few days and attach them. then send my DS forms to the embassy. I'll send the DS-2001 form later because i'm still waiting for my police certificate and I'm going to have to make an appointment to get an up to date birth certificate. But if I can get these DS forms sent off then that's one less thing to do.

yeah exactly :)

Our Story AoS

K1

[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)

Well thank you for your help. I've been confused for a few days but you have helped clear some things up for me.

Any time! I havent had my interview yet so im also waiding through the unknown but if you have any questions message me I will try my best to help

Our Story AoS

K1

[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)

Off with your head! You KNOW I hate that overused phrase. :P

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

If you already attached your photos it's okay. Don't need more. If you get Angry Asian Lady she may frown at you, but no big deal.

Photocopies--they are going to keep anything you turn in unless you provide them with a photocopy to file.

Things you want back for sure--birth certificate, divorce decrees, deed polls, military record, financial records, etc.

Things you don't need back because you have a copy at home or on the computer--I-134, Turbo tax printout of tax return,

Just don't hand in your only copy of something. Make a copy for your records of everything including the DS forms.

The financial proofs like pay stubs, tax returns, bank statements can actually be photocopies. They aren't that fussy. An employer letter should be original.

Simple rule-- Ask yourself "Do I need this original important document given back to me after the interview"? If yes, provide a photocopy. The embassy does not need multiple copies of your personal documents for their purposes. They only need one for the file.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.