RandR333

Anyone have experience getting work with a degree from Philppines?

14 posts in this topic

Our daughter is wanting to stay in Philippines for a 2 year nursing degree then come here.

Does anyone have experience with getting work with Philippine degree?

Her degree will be in practical nursing

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

2009-07-15: Marriage

2011-03-23: I-130 Sent

2011-03-29: I-130 NOA1

2011-07-09: I-130 RFE

2011-08-16: RFE Reply Sent

2011-08-18: RFE Reply Received at USCIS

2011-09-19: NOA2 approved

2011-10-12: Received NVC

2011-10-20: Paid $88 fee

2011-11-29 NVC submitted

2011-12-08 NVC approved

2011-12-12 Received interview date - need to change

2012-02-01 New Interview Date - need to change again - sputum required

2012-01-11 Medical - 3 day sputum required

2012-01-18 Begin 3 day sputum test

2012-01-23 Results of Sputum negative now wait for 2 month culture

2012-03-21 ***culture results*** NEGATIVE!!!

2012-03-27 Interview!!!

***APPROVED***

2012-03-30 IR-1 delivered, still waiting for IR-2

2012-04-04 IR-2 Delivered!!!

2012-06-08 POE LA

2012-06-20 SS card arrives

2012-06-26 Green Cards arrive

2012-07-03 Health Dept calls for follow-up TB testing?

** Ramona went through more testing including xrays. The doctor said he couldn't find any evidence of Tb and cleared her for everything.

Filed: Timeline

I would not recommend it.

Nursing degrees in the Philippines take FOUR years, not two years.

She will have to take the board exams in the Philippines THEN take the NCLEX for the US

I suggest that she just take Nursing degree in the US. It's more expensive but she's more assured and less hassle.

Also, most US colleges and universities do not recognize undergraduate TRANSFER courses. I had a classmate who attended ATENEO de MANILA but migrated to the US but his credentials from ATENEO were not recognized. So he had to start over again

Getting work here with a degree from the Philippines is not a problem. She'll have to take a few exams but she should be able to do well. The savings of going to school in the Philippines is enormous and the education is top notch.

I would suggest though that she complete her degree program there unless she can find an exchange program with a US university which would let her transfer freely between the two countries.

But there is no two year nursing degreee in the philippines. Nursing in the Philippines is Bachelor's degree (Four years + Board Exam - separate from NCLEX).

What is two years is a Caregiver certificate.

From the OP

Our daughter is wanting to stay in Philippines for a 2 year nursing degree then come here.

Edited by Kang

The education here is near the bottom of the education ladder. They still require STENOGRAPHY in Business Management courses at Cebu University. They spend more time in dance classes to prepare for the Sinulog than Math or Business. Anyone that thinks the Education system in the Philippines is top notch is sadly mistaken. JMHO

Sadly, Philippine Education is deteriorating. Even the top notch private schools lag behind US community colleges.

Speaking of, if you want to save money, going to a community college (for General Ed) first then transferring to a university. It's cheaper that way.

A lot of Nursing students from the "Nursing fad years" are now working in..... call centers or ESL teachers to Koreans. :(

The education here is near the bottom of the education ladder. They still require STENOGRAPHY in Business Management courses at Cebu University. They spend more time in dance classes to prepare for the Sinulog than Math or Business. Anyone that thinks the Education system in the Philippines is top notch is sadly mistaken. JMHO

I just went through the dancing thing. She sent me a link to a college she wanted to attend for nursing and the name of the school was ":<*&^ Computer Technology College. They didn't have a website, instead they used a Facebook page and advertised how well they did in dancing and modeling competions. Obviously, that one got vetoed.

She is in Tacloban and they have some schools there that advertise 2 year practical nursing degrees which I don't know what it really is - no websites. They also have a program called TESDA that has a 6 month caregivers license which is what I'm thinking she can do while she is waiting for her visa - at least she can get a little exposure.

Thank you all for your input.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

2009-07-15: Marriage

2011-03-23: I-130 Sent

2011-03-29: I-130 NOA1

2011-07-09: I-130 RFE

2011-08-16: RFE Reply Sent

2011-08-18: RFE Reply Received at USCIS

2011-09-19: NOA2 approved

2011-10-12: Received NVC

2011-10-20: Paid $88 fee

2011-11-29 NVC submitted

2011-12-08 NVC approved

2011-12-12 Received interview date - need to change

2012-02-01 New Interview Date - need to change again - sputum required

2012-01-11 Medical - 3 day sputum required

2012-01-18 Begin 3 day sputum test

2012-01-23 Results of Sputum negative now wait for 2 month culture

2012-03-21 ***culture results*** NEGATIVE!!!

2012-03-27 Interview!!!

***APPROVED***

2012-03-30 IR-1 delivered, still waiting for IR-2

2012-04-04 IR-2 Delivered!!!

2012-06-08 POE LA

2012-06-20 SS card arrives

2012-06-26 Green Cards arrive

2012-07-03 Health Dept calls for follow-up TB testing?

** Ramona went through more testing including xrays. The doctor said he couldn't find any evidence of Tb and cleared her for everything.

I would be a fan of a 6 month caregiver course. It would expose her to some basic experience, it would get her into some classroom settings and a certificate would be great for her self esteem and confidence.

She is in Tacloban and they have some schools there that advertise 2 year practical nursing degrees which I don't know what it really is - no websites. They also have a program called TESDA that has a 6 month caregivers license which is what I'm thinking she can do while she is waiting for her visa - at least she can get a little exposure.

I just went through the dancing thing. She sent me a link to a college she wanted to attend for nursing and the name of the school was ":<*&^ Computer Technology College. They didn't have a website, instead they used a Facebook page and advertised how well they did in dancing and modeling competions. Obviously, that one got vetoed.

That does not sound right. You might want to contact CHED(Commission of Higher Education) and check if they are accredited. If they are not, it's a waste of money. She's safer going directly to TESDA for caregiving or midwifery than going to that school

One: Nursing in the Philippines is a FOUR YEAR course.

Edited by Kang

Does anyone have experience with getting work with Philippine degree?

Her degree will be in practical nursing

I have a friend who is a USC went to study Nursing ( BSN) in the Philippines in one of the university there.. Passed the exam in the Philippines,,came back and till now she couldnt get a nursing job.

I'm not a nurse, I took up speech pathology in UP. In the Philippines a bachelors allows you to practice as a speech therapist, but it requires a masters in the US. Anyway, I was able to get a job as a speech assistant but i wanted to be the real thing so I applied to grad school. They accepted all my credits and did not ask for additional courses. So I guess it also depends on where you come from, and of course your interview skills, work experience, references etc.

Instead of coming here, why not look into a community college instead?

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would suggest she stay here to do her nursing degree rather than going to the Philippines to do her degree in nursing. If she goes to the Philippines she would need to take the NLE exam and pass since I was told that some states require you to pass the local board exam in order for you to become an RN here in America. If she gets here nursing degree here in the US and once she graduates all she has to do is review for the NCLEX and once she passes the NCLEX exam she will become an RN. I am currently petitioning my fiance who has has his bachelors degree in nursing in the Philippines but unfortuanately did not pass the local board so it maybe a little hard for him to find a job with even if he his degree since he is not licensed here in the US.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

03.05.13: I-129F Sent
03.12.13: I-129F NOA1 (Vermont Service Center)
07.12.13: I-129F NOA2 (Petition approved)

08.27.13: Interview - APPROVED

09.23.13: POE to JFK

10.08.13: WEDDING DAY

AOS PROCESS

11.02.13: AOS/AP/EAD Sent

11.08.13: NOA1

12.11.13:Biometrics

01.06.14: EAD/AP combo card received

02.07.14: Received an interview waiver letter

04.18.14: Green Card received

ROC PROCESS

03.08.16: ROC Sent

03.12.16: NOA1

04.04.16:Biometrics

If you can't pass the board in the Philippines you really shouldn't try for a nursing career here in the US. If you can pass the board there you shouldn't have any trouble passing the required exams for nursing in your state.

As for waste of time classes like dancing, every single university and college in the US requires just as much in the way of stupid time sinks. I had to take PE courses that included fencing and archery for my B.S studies in education and psychology. Neither of which I use in my career. More than half of your time spent as an undergraduate is done taking classes that have no bearing on your major or practical application after school. Most Ivy league schools still require students to pass swimming exams. I've spent a lot of time dealing with graduates from both the Philippines and the US. Those that graduated from Philippine colleges and universities were far more focused, determined, and goal oriented than any graduate I've met from the US. There is a completely different attitude towards education there. Here it is considered a right and it is assumed that every middle-class nobody will have a degree. There a higher education is not so guaranteed and people struggle to make the most of the opportunities they've been given.

Finally the real issue for me is cost. For the price for what I paid for a single textbook here in the US I can instead spend that same money to send a family friend to university for a semester. When she graduates she already has a job waiting for her and will not be saddled with debt for years to come. Here in the US only 73% of under age 30 college graduates are employed (that includes full and part time) and of the remaining 27% only 11% are continuing to look for work while 9% have gone back to school and deeper in debt and 7% have given up looking for work entirely (BLS Monthly Labor Review, Feb 2013). It is a lot easier to survive when you are not sitting on a pile of student loan debt, especially if you can't find a job in your field or something that pays more than minimum wage.

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.