scottukga

Does anyone know how this would work regarding my SSN?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone, i hope all is going well.

A few years ago i worked in the states under j-1 visa's, and naturally i got a Social security number. After that i studied In Ga (where i am now about to move to and marry my fiancee) and used the SSN i had for the student job i was given as part of the scheme. Now that i am going to live in Ga under a k-1 visa i was wondering about my SSN card, sadly the card itself got lost in england (silly i know, but i still know the number) and i need to get a new one sent to me as i arrive. Do i just need to apply for a bog standard replacement to be issued or is there something else that needs to be done since i shall be a permanent resident in time and not just someone who was there under j-1's.

If anyone can shed any light on this i would be very grateful,

Scott.

AOS/EAD

March 2nd- Sent package

March 7th- Receipt date/ checks cashed

March 15th- Notice of Biometrics for March 28th

March 16th- RFE for AOS posted online, still waiting for the actual letter in mail.

March 23rd- RFE letters arrived.

March 28th- Had Biometrics, all went smoothly.

April 9th- Informed that case processing has been resumed.

April 24th- AOS Transferred to CSC.

May 18th- Got the case pending at CSC email.

May 24th- EAD APPROVED.

-Scott.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I will wait until MDyoung gets this one.... he is great with SSN stuff and will let you know exactely what the go is

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

that is very good to know, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Scott.

AOS/EAD

March 2nd- Sent package

March 16th- RFE for AOS posted online, still waiting for the actual letter in mail.

May 24th- EAD APPROVED.

-Scott.

Thank you for taking the time to reply,

Just so i get this straight in my head, if i got the stamp and then got married a week later, would it still be valid for the next 83 days, or would the marriage invalidate it?

Once again, i really appreciate the replies from you guys,

Scott.

AOS/EAD

March 2nd- Sent package

May 24th- EAD APPROVED.

-Scott.

Marriage does not invalidate the temp EAD you can get at JFK... it is good for 90 days from the day of entry...

A SSN is only given once, it is yours for life so when you arrive go with your passport and birth certificate and get a new card... form ss5 is the form you need...

Edited by Niagaenola

wow, thank you for clearing that up, its one thing i dont have to ponder and ponder. Is going via jfk the only way to get the 90 day EAD? I just heard about being able to get one from some office or other, is that just completely false?Are JFK good about giving them out, or is it rather sketchy? Sorry about all the questions, its just that to go via JFK is a little out of the way so i want to be sure.....

Thank you everyone,

Scott.

Oh crud, and the captain obvious of questions, does applying for the AOS with the EAD make any difference the the temp EAD?

Scott.

AOS/EAD

March 2nd- Sent package

May 24th- EAD APPROVED.

-Scott.

wow, so at Jfk you can get it, work and get married, during which time you can file the AOS with the request for the permanent EAD and it wont create any problems with the processing? That is rather helpful. Thank you very very much.

Scott.

AOS/EAD

March 2nd- Sent package

May 24th- EAD APPROVED.

-Scott.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.