cadetlthsu

Adjustment of Status expectation

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey All,

I am currently an international student in the States...my family filed a I-130 petition for me: unmarried sons and daughters of US citizens over 21 (Family preference 1). My priority date is coming up in about 1 year. I believe the I-130 was filed at California Service Center.

My question is, what is the expected time line from filing I-485 (when my priority date is up) until I actually receive my Green card? It seems that the process on average takes about 5-6 months. Am I correct on that?

Thanks!

Depends on the local field office, and how long it spends at the service centre being prepared. 3-6 months seems to be the average.

Good luck!

AOS JOURNEY FROM VISA WAIVER PROGRAM
EAD (I-765) APPROVED IN 30 DAYS
I-485 APPROVED IN 96 DAYS
• I-130 APPROVED IN 96 DAYS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full timeline (click show)

Day 1 - April 10th, 2013 - I-485, I-130, I-765 Mailed

Day 2 - April 11th, 2013 - Delivery confirmation, Chicago

Day 9 - April 19th, 2013 - Text NOAs for all three - NBC

Day 12 - April 22nd, 2013 - NOAs in mail for all three - NBC

Day 15 - April 25th, 2013 - Biometric walk-in at Fort Worth

Day 28 - May 8th, 2013 - RFE received (I-485) - immediately responded by fax

Day 30 - May 10th, 2013 - EAD approved, card sent to production

Day 35 - May 15th, 2013 - RFE processed for I-485

Day 38 - May 18th, 2013 - EAD card arrives in mail!

Day 41 - May 21st, 2013 - I-485 updated to "Testing and Interview"

Day 51 - May 31st, 2013 - Interview scheduled for July 16th, Dallas

Day 62 - June 11th, 2013 - Started work as a Systems Engineer (IT)!

Day 96 - July 16th, 2013 - Approved at interview in Dallas, Texas! (I-485)

Day 96 - July 16th, 2013 - I-485 updated to "Card/Document production", I-485 updated to "Approved, mailed welcome letter", I-130 updated to "Approved"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 104 - July 24th, 2013 - Green Card arrives in mail

You will not be able to adjust your status here because you are not an immediate relative of a USC. You will have to go home and get your Greencard at the embassy in your country.. I was in the same position as you are but I adjusted through marriage..

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

You will not be able to adjust your status here because you are not an immediate relative of a USC. You will have to go home and get your Greencard at the embassy in your country.. I was in the same position as you are but I adjusted through marriage..

Hmm...are you sure that only immediate family can be adjusted in the US? My current status as a student is still legal in the States. My I-130 is already approved. If I leave now I may be "abandoning the AOS" and will have to start 100% over again.

Not true. As long as they are in legal status at the time of filing AOS, they will be able to adjust status in the U.S. The only difference with immediate relatives is that they can adjust status without being in legal status at the time.

Hmm...are you sure that only immediate family can be adjusted in the US? My current status as a student is still legal in the States. My I-130 is already approved. If I leave now I may be "abandoning the AOS" and will have to start 100% over again.

You can AOS if you will still be in legal student status at the time you qualify to file for AOS. (So you have to make sure to maintain your status until then.) You haven't applied for AOS yet, so you cannot "abandon" it. However, you should probably not leave the U.S. at this point since there is a good chance they will not let you in again with a petition for you with priority date so close to being current.

My bad. You will be able to adjust if you maintain your F-1status. If you are out of status, you would have to do it at the embassy. Sorry for the confusion....

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.