bly

After green card getting SSN#

13 posts in this topic

I know it's a good idea to wait 2 or so weeks after arriving in the USA on a k1 before going to get a SS#.

But what about if we didn't get the SS# card then, once we get the GC is it still a good idea to wait 2 weeks for the save system to be updated, or does it happen faster? The SS# website says it takes about 10 business days for newly arrived people to make it in the SAVE system but it doesn't say anything about AOS.

I was thinking the save system may get updated faster because we should already be in the system with the K1 entry.

Anyone know?

Thanks

I-129F

11-28-05 Petition Sent

11-29 Arrived at Nebraska

12-02 Check Cashed - LIN Receipt # On Check :-)

12-02 NOA1 via internet

12-05 NOA1 snail mail

12-13 NOA2 via internet (day 14)

12-16 Email: Petition Forward to Dept. Of State

12-17 NOA2 snail mail

02-22-06 Interview passed, K1 Visa approved.

02-24 Visa arrived

04-14 Arrive in America.. SHE'S HERE!

07-07 Married :-)

AOS, EAD, AP

07-14-06 Sent all 3

07-16 Delivery Confirmed (NOA's dated 07-16)

07-24 3 NOA's in the mail box. (MSC #s not online for a long time!)

07-29 Biometrics letter

08-08 Biometrics Complete.

08-28 RFE Sent For I-485??? (Sigh, this is what it takes to get your MSC # online?)

08-31 RFE Snail Mail, Missing Tax Info (which was sent the first time!)

08-31 RFE Sent back

09-08 RFE rcvd at MSC email update

09-11 Touched I-485

09-13 Touched I-485

09-21 Rcvd AOS appt letter

10-18 Sent 'Status Inquiry' snail mail about EAD/AP not online and not approved.

10-28 AP/EAD FINALLY show online... 106 days. Not complete!

10-28 AP/EAD/AOS touched.

10-31 AP/EAD/AOS touched

11-03 11-07 11-11 and 11-13 EAD touched.

11-15 Day 123 (Day 68 since the RFE) EAD approved 11-14 email! AP still waiting.

11-16 10 AM Aos approved, 2 weeks to the green card we hope!

11-16 2PM EAD card in the mail.

11-17 Email "Welcome letter"

11-20 Welcome letter in Mail

11-27 Another "Welcome" email dated 11-27, changed from 11-17

11-29-06 GC in Mail, Were done for 1.75 years!

Filed: Timeline

I would say that by the time you actually have received the card it's probably OK to go apply. Do you not have an SSN or just applying for the unrestricted card? If applying for the unrestricted card, giving it a month or more before applying wouldn't be a big deal.

I would say that by the time you actually have received the card it's probably OK to go apply. Do you not have an SSN or just applying for the unrestricted card? If applying for the unrestricted card, giving it a month or more before applying wouldn't be a big deal.

We didn't bother to get the SSN yet... We were mega busy putting the wedding together prior to and it just slipped passed us.

I-129F

11-28-05 Petition Sent

11-29 Arrived at Nebraska

12-02 Check Cashed - LIN Receipt # On Check :-)

12-02 NOA1 via internet

12-05 NOA1 snail mail

12-13 NOA2 via internet (day 14)

12-16 Email: Petition Forward to Dept. Of State

12-17 NOA2 snail mail

02-22-06 Interview passed, K1 Visa approved.

02-24 Visa arrived

04-14 Arrive in America.. SHE'S HERE!

07-07 Married :-)

AOS, EAD, AP

07-14-06 Sent all 3

07-16 Delivery Confirmed (NOA's dated 07-16)

07-24 3 NOA's in the mail box. (MSC #s not online for a long time!)

07-29 Biometrics letter

08-08 Biometrics Complete.

08-28 RFE Sent For I-485??? (Sigh, this is what it takes to get your MSC # online?)

08-31 RFE Snail Mail, Missing Tax Info (which was sent the first time!)

08-31 RFE Sent back

09-08 RFE rcvd at MSC email update

09-11 Touched I-485

09-13 Touched I-485

09-21 Rcvd AOS appt letter

10-18 Sent 'Status Inquiry' snail mail about EAD/AP not online and not approved.

10-28 AP/EAD FINALLY show online... 106 days. Not complete!

10-28 AP/EAD/AOS touched.

10-31 AP/EAD/AOS touched

11-03 11-07 11-11 and 11-13 EAD touched.

11-15 Day 123 (Day 68 since the RFE) EAD approved 11-14 email! AP still waiting.

11-16 10 AM Aos approved, 2 weeks to the green card we hope!

11-16 2PM EAD card in the mail.

11-17 Email "Welcome letter"

11-20 Welcome letter in Mail

11-27 Another "Welcome" email dated 11-27, changed from 11-17

11-29-06 GC in Mail, Were done for 1.75 years!

hello everybody!!!

in my case,we didnt apply for SSN the time i got here(K1) we waited till i got my greencard,and last NOV.04,i got my greencard in the mail....last friday(NOV.17) we went to our local SSA office but unfortunately after getting all my information(in my green card,passport and completed SS-5 form) the lady said that in thier record it is still my maiden name thats in there and she gave us the immigration number(in where i got my biometrics done) and she said to call them and asked why its still unchange into my married name.(i was really disappointed bcoz we waited for about 13 days to get an SSN and its still not updated :( )!!!

how long do we really need to wait for thier system to update??? :unsure:

is calling the immigration,would help???!!!

thanks in advance guys,i am really wondering!!!

" NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD"

in my case,we didnt apply for SSN the time i got here(K1) we waited till i got my greencard,and last NOV.04,i got my greencard in the mail....last friday(NOV.17) we went to our local SSA office but unfortunately after getting all my information(in my green card,passport and completed SS-5 form) the lady said that in thier record it is still my maiden name thats in there and she gave us the immigration number(in where i got my biometrics done) and she said to call them and asked why its still unchange into my married name.(i was really disappointed bcoz we waited for about 13 days to get an SSN and its still not updated :( )!!!

Did the office accept the application? If they didn't which SSA office was this?

The office is still supposed to accept the application and just send the G-845 for manual verification of your status.

Did the office accept the application? If they didn't which SSA office was this?

The office is still supposed to accept the application and just send the G-845 for manual verification of your status. no....they didnt accept it,thats what irratate me coz we waited,then when our number was called the lady said she will refer us to somebody and just wait for my name to be called then after that we wait and got called again then i hand them my greencard,passport and completed SS-5 form,they get my info's and after that one said that thier record didnt match coz its still my maiden name thats in thier system.so she gave my papers back.

the SSA office was in 50 college SE, GRAND RAPIDS,MICHIGAN this is the closest one where we live.

thanks mdyoung for the reply!!! :yes:

what are we supposed to do now? should we called the immigration?(i really doubt calling would help with this case) according to the lady that handled me that day we need to call and asked why its not change to my married name yet....(i wanted to tell her,maybe your the one that supposed to call).(ITS REALLY A BIG BUMMER!!!!! :angry: )

no....they didnt accept it,thats what irratate me coz we waited,then when our number was called the lady said she will refer us to somebody and just wait for my name to be called then after that we wait and got called again then i hand them my greencard,passport and completed SS-5 form,they get my info's and after that one said that thier record didnt match coz its still my maiden name thats in thier system.so she gave my papers back. SSA office was in 50 college SE, GRAND RAPIDS,MICHIGAN this is the closest one where we live.

What are we supposed to do now? should we called the immigration?(i really doubt calling would help with this case) according to the lady that handled me that day we need to call and asked why its not change to my married name yet...

Go back to the office and see the office manager if they will not again accept the application. This is the phone number if you want to try calling to talk to the manager. They open at 9:00 a.m. Don't bother leaving a message. If you can't talk to someone, go into the office.

Go back to the office and see the office manager if they will not again accept the application. This is the phone number if you want to try calling to talk to the manager. They open at 9:00 a.m. Don't bother leaving a message. If you can't talk to someone, go into the office.

hum....sorry mdyoung i didnt got the number. the number that the lady gave me was the number of the application support center(i knew it was the application support center of USCIS bcoz ive been there,did my bimotrics) the SSA office was in grand rapis,MICHIGAN.

im really disappointed about this common stuff thats happening when trying to get an SSN.i dont think i should wait any longer to get an SSN bcoz its been 2 weeks since i got my greencard...my husband want me to call coz thats what the lady said but i dont think it would help with this matter.

i really appreciate your reply mdyoung.....thanks!

hum....sorry mdyoung i didnt got the number. the number that the lady gave me was the number of the application support center(i knew it was the application support center of USCIS bcoz ive been there,did my bimotrics) the SSA office was in grand rapis,MICHIGAN.

im really disappointed about this common stuff thats happening when trying to get an SSN.i dont think i should wait any longer to get an SSN bcoz its been 2 weeks since i got my greencard...my husband want me to call coz thats what the lady said but i dont think it would help with this matter.

Whoops

Phone: 616-742-2373

Fax: 616-742-2373

Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

Whoops

Phone: 616-742-2373

Fax: 616-742-2373

Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

thank you very much mdyoung!

i just called USCIS just to satisfy my curiousity and my husband want me to called too.....so i did and it really didnt help(thats what i thought) my case has been approved and got my greencard already so i really thought it wont help calling them.the lady just said i gotta go to uscis.gov website and try an infopass on getting SSN. IT makes me confused even worst. :unsure:

thanks again mdyoung!!! i will try calling that SSA office now and find out whats going on. i really thought that the lady that handled me that day didnt knew what shes doing.i got everything they need just to give me SSN but still didnt get it. oh well.....im going to call and find out(hope it wont be the same lady that will answer my call....LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! ) :lol:

hello mdyoung!

thanks for the reply to my questions....i didnt get a hold of the SSA office where we went coz its always busy....oh well,my husband and me will go back there this friday(coz he doesnt have work on fridays) and we will bring the form G-845 with us so that if they still dont have my status in their system,we'll slam this form on their face. :D we'll see!!! :lol::lol::lol:

we sure hope by that time everything will be just fine!!! i got my green card for more than 2 weeks now so maybe it will be ok.

thank you for helping us here,mdyoung!!!( by the way.....where in philippines you were from? :no:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
i just called USCIS just to satisfy my curiousity and my husband want me to called too.....so i did and it really didnt help(thats what i thought) my case has been approved and got my greencard already so i really thought it wont help calling them.the lady just said i gotta go to uscis.gov website and try an infopass on getting SSN.

:blink:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.