Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

5 or 10 Year Admission Ban

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I was admitted in the US on J-1 visa in January 2002. The document was for one year and shortly before it expired I changed my status to F-1. A few years later, still maintaining my student status, I got married for a US citizen and got granted the initial documents given in this case (i.e. work permit, etc.). However, the things did not work out and we got divorced before I the case was completed. I applied for asylum based on my ethnic background and the case was in process when I decided to leave the county. Notification to the case officer was sent, explaining that I am about to leave the country so I want to drop the proceeding but nevertheless I was given notice to appear before Immigration Judge. I left the country long before the hearing and I got letter that I am basically deportable as I did not show up for the court date. It has been over 5 years since then and am thinking about visiting friends in the US but am not sure what kind of ban applies to me (5 or 10 years?). In the Notice to Appear it says that I have overstayed my initial visa period which is definitely not true as I have always been in status during my 6 year stay in the country. The judge verdict letter does not state what restriction applies to me so I was hoping to get advice on the possible length/type of entry ban and appropriate waiver document that should be used to remove the restriction. Thanks in advance!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have all the answers but I think if you applied for asylum based on some fear

in your country, then you turned around and go back there ignoring a court appearance

you need a very experience immigration atty to sort you out.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.