Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Re entry permit, do I need the physical green card to apply?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I was granted a CR-1 visa last March as I'm married to a US citizen and I will enter the country with my husband next May 8th to get my GC at last.

The thing is that he has been offered a job in Germany, actually we are now in Frankfurt and he started the job a month ago and as the job is going to last at least a year I want to apply for a re entry permit as soon as I get to the US and before I come back to Germany.

My husband will come back to Frankfurt on May 14th to continue his work but I will stay precisely to apply for the I-131 and do the biometrics.

My question is, can I apply for the re entry permit without having the GC in hand?, I don't want to wait until it comes to my mail to start the process but I'm not sure I can.

Thanks for your help,


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you enter the US your immigrant visa will be endorsed with a stamp that makes it legally identical to a green card for all purposes for one year. So yes, you can use that to file the I-131.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.