ukcharlotte

Potential AOS interview failure?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My now husband and I have been together more than 5 years. We applied for a K1 visa in January 2012 and I came to the US on October 25th, 2012. At the time of preparing for the K1 process, the estimated time frame was almost a year from submission to having the K1 visa in hand, so we decided to make wedding plans for April 2013, which gave us 15/16 months in which to get the visa, make wedding plans and respond to any RFEs should we have needed to. Anyhow, we married legally within the 90 days, but due to our faith and wanting our April 2013 wedding to be the day that we have truly dreamt about, my husband and I are not living together - I live with one of his coworkers.

We applied for the EAD/AP/AOS late January 2013 and assumed that it would be about six months or so before we would have our interview. This, we felt, would be an ideal timeframe because we would have been living together as a 'bona fide' married couple for a couple of months before the interview occurred. However, our wedding day is April 29th and our interview is April 24th!

We have plenty of documentation aside from the marriage license ( my name is Mrs ********* on our health insurance, car insurance, house lease and other utilities, for example) and we have plenty of paperwork showing that we have spent thousands on a wedding that will occur in 4 days from our interview date. We have even considered getting our pastor to sign an affidavit stating our faith and that our relationship is real, but I am still worried that they will deny us based upon the fact that we are not yet living together.

I know that it is tricky to know exactly what the immigration officials will say or do, but I was wondering if anyone else had been in a similar situation? I love my husband dearly, and can't wait to start living with him, we just want to respect our faith, have the big wedding with all of our friends and family (who, coincidently, fly in the day of the interview!) and start married life on our terms and in a way that is special to us.

If anyone has some helpful thoughts/comments please share. I appreciate you reading this.

C

14/01/2012: Mailed off I-129F

20/01/2012: NOA1

19/06/2012: NOA2 (no RFEs)

26/07/2012: Medical

02/10/2012: Interview Date - approved!

25/10/2012: POE - Chicago O'Hare

24/01/2013: Applied for AOS/EAD/AP

19/03/2013: EAD/AP approved

21/03/2013: AOS interview scheduled for 24/04/2013

24/04/2013: Interview - Approved!

11/05/2013: Green Card received.

event.png

Nobody has answered you with actual experience so I'll give you my thoughts. Your marriage license shows you married to comply with the visa terms. You have several things in your married name/joint names. Surely the USCIS can admire your morals and understand your religious reasons for not living under the same roof. I think a letter from the pastor will be the icing on the cake, if they weren't convinced already. You explained it very clearly and sincerely here, so tell the same story at the interview with pride and confidence.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks Nich-Nick. I scheduled an infopass appointment for two weeks before the interview; i'm hoping that they will be able to answer some of our questions and put our minds at rest.

C

14/01/2012: Mailed off I-129F

20/01/2012: NOA1

19/06/2012: NOA2 (no RFEs)

26/07/2012: Medical

02/10/2012: Interview Date - approved!

25/10/2012: POE - Chicago O'Hare

24/01/2013: Applied for AOS/EAD/AP

19/03/2013: EAD/AP approved

21/03/2013: AOS interview scheduled for 24/04/2013

24/04/2013: Interview - Approved!

11/05/2013: Green Card received.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.