O&Z

In AP from Montreal Consulate - anyone else?

106 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

it has been over 100 days (17 weeks or so) since our CR-1 interview at the Montreal Consulate and we are STILL in AP.

The reason we can gather is because of his Muslim name. He was born in Canada and his parents were born in India and Pakistan.

Also he lived in the US as a minor for a few years and I work for the Federal Government.

These are potential "reasons" our case may be in AP.

I have emailed the consulate about 3 times with useless replies arriiving 3-5 weeks later.

Called DOS and NVC with no help.

They have told us it is in Mandatory AP and they don't know anything because of 'Homeland Security"

Contacted senators and congressman when I was living in NY with no reply or help.

Recently completed the move and used ABF and crossed under my name as marital property per instructions from CBP officers. Had no problems thank goodness with that

Now that I am in a new district, contacted congressman and they have placed an inquiry, basically they received a letter stating the same useless information.

Received call from NVC supervisor at odd times (missed calls at 8pm, 11pm) from 603-334-9400 who basically told us it's Mandatory AP and to be patient, they know nothing.

I also spoke with an immigration attorney, who was very helpful - she said that I should actually stop contacting the consulate, DOS, etc because it will actually delay our case. Each time they have to "pull" our case and look at it, it potentially causes a delay. She also said there's nothing much she can do except put an inquiry into the DOS which would take about 30 days to execute as well. She also mentioned that there are no time constraints that these people have to follow and they have to answer to no-one.

soo...

that's about it.

I guess i'm wondering who else has been under Mandatory AP given 221g form for Mandatory Administrative Processing from Montreal, US and how long did it take?

His parents went through AP for their own Greencard, but it only took about 9 weeks, that's the only case we can compare ourselves to because I don't see many Montreal AP cases here.

He is visiting me now while i was getting settled in, but obviously he won't overstay his welcome of 6 months. Also worried that the visit may adversely affect our case.

He is studying for his professional licensure for the US but can't work obviously until this is settled.

just venting and hoping someone has encouraging anecdotes to share

Under AP with Montreal consulate Since Apr 2013 ,for F4 category

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i called the other day and spoke to a guy that sounded very bored for abt 15 minutes.

of course there is absolutely nothing he can tell us about the case, because he doesn't see those details.

although he said if any further information is needed (re-do police certificate, medical, financial, etc) that they would see those alerts and we would be notified/contacted as well.

i asked since it has been 2 yrs now of our marriage - is it automatically an IR1 now, or do I still have to file that paperwork? he said i will still have to file that paperwork with USCIS but it cannot be done until his visa is issued. (how efficient! lol)

i'm not really sure what the next steps will be - how they will ask for the passport back - will we send it through loomis, to what address, etc

i guess we'll bumble along and get it done when we get the chance.

if anyone that's gotten out of AP, could share their next steps, that would be super helpful!

if God willing I get the chance to soon, i will post it.

I read before that they request the passport and all other information through email. When they do so, we will submit it using loomis service. They will deliver it to Montreal Consulate.

I think the police certificate and medical examination expire in 6 months.

I thought the visa category changes automatically to IR1 if married over 2 years. I will ask my attorney and let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

just wanted to share the (potential) good news.

my hubby got an email today from monreal consulate asking him for the following:

passport, new medical exam, and new police certificate.

his medical isn't expired until october - but they want him to re-do it.

DOS said this is because the Visa is only valid as long as the medical is valid.

so i hope this is some good news. he's gonna have to run around a bit .

pls keep us in your prayers.

i hope something good happens soon for us and everyone else!!!

Timeline

just wanted to share the (potential) good news.

my hubby got an email today from monreal consulate asking him for the following:

passport, new medical exam, and new police certificate.

his medical isn't expired until october - but they want him to re-do it.

DOS said this is because the Visa is only valid as long as the medical is valid.

so i hope this is some good news. he's gonna have to run around a bit .

pls keep us in your prayers.

i hope something good happens soon for us and everyone else!!!

Hey Zubi2lute,

Congratulations!!!

Sorry for the late post, I received the same email from Montreal Consulate last Wednesday. They requested the same documents from me.

The medical exam is valid for 6 months; police certificate is valid for a year.

I am optimistic but as you said, we have to wait until visa is in hand.

Any idea how long it takes to open the mail, process the document and make a final decision?

I hope everyone gets awesome news soon!!

Mehr, any updates on your end..

Timeline

nabdelwa,

that's great news.

i really hope this means something good, but who knows.

i spoke to DOS on friday to clarify and confirm they had that showing on their screen.

my husband got a medical appt for monday - just fyi - the panel physician in toronto - Seidan - is not doing any more exams after monday.

so he's hoping to be able to send everything in via Loomis by Thursday or Friday this week.

does anyone know - does the Medical physician have to send the paperwork - or can we send it in together with passport and police certificate?

does the police certificate sent in have to be original or is a copy ok? (the first time we sent copies and showed original at interview)

Timeline

nabdelwa,

that's great news.

i really hope this means something good, but who knows.

i spoke to DOS on friday to clarify and confirm they had that showing on their screen.

my husband got a medical appt for monday - just fyi - the panel physician in toronto - Seidan - is not doing any more exams after monday.

so he's hoping to be able to send everything in via Loomis by Thursday or Friday this week.

does anyone know - does the Medical physician have to send the paperwork - or can we send it in together with passport and police certificate?

does the police certificate sent in have to be original or is a copy ok? (the first time we sent copies and showed original at interview)

Thanks zubi2lute for the information!!

I booked an appointment on Monday with a different panel physician, the same one I had it done the first time. We should be able to receive the results on Wednesday. The police certificate can be done the same day so I am not worried about it.

My attorney said that I should comply with their request and send everything. I am sending the medical exam results, police certificate and passport all in one. We receive the medical results in a sealed envelope unless something is wrong with it. If so, the physician will contact the consulate directly.

I am sending all originals. Better safe than sorry!! But to be honest, I am not sure if we can send copies.

Timeline

ok sounds good. i think we will try to do that too.

please keep us updated on how it goes for you.

i think once we send via loomis - we can check status online (i believe) for when it reached there

but it may very well sit in a mailroom for awhile lol.

i'm excited, but trying not to get my hopes up either in case they are being cruel. we'll see when we all have visas in our hands.

good luck to everyone and thanks for all the support you've all given!

i'll try to keep everyone updated on the next steps (if any) since there isn't much guidance out there on VJ about what happens next (esp with montreal).

Timeline

any news Nabdelwa or mehr?

we sent in the stuff on wednesday and it was received thursday.

friday we had a status update, still in AP. but i'm hoping that means they actually got our stuff.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.