Alfia & John

Marriage in Russia

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

TurboGuy;

We have had a few brief comments about marriage but not an extended conversation, yet. As a scientist, I tend to over-analyze things and also plan every detail. We have just under three months to get more involved in the conversation and for me to learn the requirements for all different plans. I leave for Russia April 30. By then, I will know if we will do the K1 route or the marriage route. If K1, will take the forms along and we will complete them during my visit.

Timeline

Thanks for the answer Moosescape. I think you are going about things in the right way. I would talk to her when you are there and give her the advantages both ways and let her make the decision. Sometimes what we think they want is very different from what they really want.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline

Yesterday, we had numerous conversations with great results; what a beautiful Valentine's Day present-discuss our life together. We have decided to pursue the K1 visa path with marriage in America but celebration in Russia. We will submit the paperwork immediately after my visit on May 1-12. I have gathered all my paperwork (divorce documents, etc) and she is getting hers scanned. I am filling in the forms and will take with me to Russia for signatures and to review together.

If USCIS would step on the accelerator, she could be here by next Valentine's Day.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Yesterday, we had numerous conversations with great results; what a beautiful Valentine's Day present-discuss our life together. We have decided to pursue the K1 visa path with marriage in America but celebration in Russia. We will submit the paperwork immediately after my visit on May 1-12. I have gathered all my paperwork (divorce documents, etc) and she is getting hers scanned. I am filling in the forms and will take with me to Russia for signatures and to review together.

If USCIS would step on the accelerator, she could be here by next Valentine's Day.

This is a similar plan that my fiancee and I have come to as well. Marriage here and a celebration there later.

“Even the smallest act of caring for another person is like a drop of water -it will make ripples throughout the entire pond...”

― Jessy and Bryan Matteo

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

What are the advantages and disadvantages of marriage in Russia. I am familiar with the 31 day wait and the application at ZAGS. I know it will mean two trips to Russia to get the job done or a longer stay waiting for ZAGS. She as so many friends and family in Russia, I think it will just be better for her to do the wedding in Russia where her friends and family can attend. I know this will entail a K3, not K1 visa.

Have I missed anything?

As a guy, the marriage ceremony is important but not to the extent that it is for the bride. I want this to be special for her and her family (both immediate and extended).

Which city is she in? If that's Moscow i can give you some up-to-date advice, i've just been through the whole marrying thing here this fall. And no, you don't need an interpreter in ZAGS (as long as it's the Moscow one, at least), she just needs to make some sort of signal to you when it's time to say 'Da'.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Timeline

Which city is she in? If that's Moscow i can give you some up-to-date advice, i've just been through the whole marrying thing here this fall. And no, you don't need an interpreter in ZAGS (as long as it's the Moscow one, at least), she just needs to make some sort of signal to you when it's time to say 'Da'.

She is in Kirov but we have decided to pursue the K1 visa route because of the speed of the K1 and also the ease of marriage in America. We will do a celebration with family and friends (celebration, not marriage ceremony) in Russia and the formal marriage in America. I would also like to return to Russia for a formal re-statement of vows after the K1 is complete and she is again allowed to travel.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

She is in Kirov but we have decided to pursue the K1 visa route because of the speed of the K1 and also the ease of marriage in America. We will do a celebration with family and friends (celebration, not marriage ceremony) in Russia and the formal marriage in America. I would also like to return to Russia for a formal re-statement of vows after the K1 is complete and she is again allowed to travel.

I see. Good luck. :) We also want to do a little reception in the other country, but in our case it's the other way round.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.