soundedguy

Arrest Questions N400

5 posts in this topic

I know I have posted questions on my arrest here and all response have been very helpful to me. Now, I am back again hoping to hear from people who have been arrested and have applied for N400 or know anybody who has.

Here are some info.

I was arrested on DV but no charges were filed, the DA rushed me into signing to pretrial diversion program with no charges being filed. After doing some reading and thoughts, I decided to for opt out on the program because it doesn't sound good especially program. I explained to my lawyer and let him know the definitions of conviction for immigration which is different from an average citizen's conviction. I was totally removed from the diversion program and all documents destroyed. The DA gave me a letter that no charges was filed with no participation in any program or anything. I went to the court and have it filed into my record, certified and also got a letter from the court that no charges was filed and certified also.

Now, the only thing on my record is an arrest. What do I need to know before my N400 interview? What are the chances that my approval would go through supervisory?

Thank you all for responding and advicing.

Naturalization

04/08/2013 - N-400 Mailed

07/22/2013 - N-400 Recommended for approval

08/13/2013 - Oath Ceremony

Officially a US citizen.

08/20/2013 - I-130 for Mom mailed

09/02/2013 - NOA received

03/04/2014 - I-130 Approval

As long as you send all the relevant documents with your N400 (photocopy is fine), and bring certified or original copies of those same documents with you to the interview, there is almost no way this would cause you problems.

I had an arrest for shoplifting that was dismissed via community service and the interviewer barely made mention of it ("so I see you had this back in 2005... okay, moving on"). Your issue is way less complicated than mine.

As long as you send all the relevant documents with your N400 (photocopy is fine), and bring certified or original copies of those same documents with you to the interview, there is almost no way this would cause you problems.

I had an arrest for shoplifting that was dismissed via community service and the interviewer barely made mention of it ("so I see you had this back in 2005... okay, moving on"). Your issue is way less complicated than mine.

Thank you for responding. Was your interview approved? I don't know what to expect or know or even don't know if I should hire a immigration attorney. My arrest wasn't meant to me but I guess the office was desperate to arrest. Just because my wife falsely said I pulled her hair.

I wish I could hear from more people who have been arrested and share their experience with me.

Naturalization

Officially a US citizen.

My interview was approved on the spot, very quickly. That said, I had been a GC for 10 years, not by marriage, and the incident was over 6 years ago. So I probably looked like a very minor threat. How long ago was your arrest? That would probably be the most important factor.

Here in LA there is an immigration law clinic right in the same building as USCIS, and for 20 dollars they'll look at your case and give you very practical advice (they told me I'd be fine and I didn't even need to send certified copies of the records in the n400. I was scared because I lived across the country from that court and it was going to take weeks for me to get certified copies). I personally don't htink you need to get an attorney, and I think most people on this forum will tell you the same, but if you want peace of mind you can get it if you can afford it.

Again just send ALL the possible records relevant to your case in your N400 and bring certified copies with you.

Thank you for responding. Was your interview approved? I don't know what to expect or know or even don't know if I should hire a immigration attorney. My arrest wasn't meant to me but I guess the office was desperate to arrest. Just because my wife falsely said I pulled her hair.

I wish I could hear from more people who have been arrested and share their experience with me.

My interview was approved on the spot, very quickly. That said, I had been a GC for 10 years, not by marriage, and the incident was over 6 years ago. So I probably looked like a very minor threat. How long ago was your arrest? That would probably be the most important factor.

Here in LA there is an immigration law clinic right in the same building as USCIS, and for 20 dollars they'll look at your case and give you very practical advice (they told me I'd be fine and I didn't even need to send certified copies of the records in the n400. I was scared because I lived across the country from that court and it was going to take weeks for me to get certified copies). I personally don't htink you need to get an attorney, and I think most people on this forum will tell you the same, but if you want peace of mind you can get it if you can afford it.

Again just send ALL the possible records relevant to your case in your N400 and bring certified copies with you.

Mine happened in october 2012. Even though I told the officer I didn't commit the crime, he was still desperate to arrest me. I have talked to few immigration attorney who told me to opt out on the diversion program if possible and go to court which I did and the DA failed to charge me because they basically didn't have a case. No picture, no injury, house was in order, wife wasn't pressing charge. I have the certified copies now but still anxious and nervous. Congrats on your approval. I will be glad when this is over.

Naturalization

Officially a US citizen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.