togetmarried

Filing I-485/F-1 and Passport Expires soon

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm applying for AOS from F-1, based on my marriage to a USC few weeks ago.

We're almost at the end of getting all the paperwork together and will be filing I-485, I-130, I-765 and I-131 very soon.

I have to travel to Korea for my wedding in April, which is why I'm applying for AP.

I'm still maintaining my full-time student status as a doctoral graduate student.

The problem is that my passport and my F-1 visa expires in June. My I-20 is good until 2015.

I imagine that I need to renew them both in April when I go back home, but...

1) Does having a new passport (with a different passport #) affect my I-485 application? Do I need to report? or Should I explain it in my application?

2) Considering that I'll have a pending I-485, can I apply to renew/apply for new F-1 visa?

3) Or, is it possible to get your AOS approved while you are outside of the US?

I'll be in Korea from April to May, and the timeline looks like that's about when I could expect AOS to have some progress, if I were to remain in the US.

I already made an appointment with my school office dealing with international students, but I'd like your input if any of you had similar situations.

Thanks!

I am not an expert on that but as long you have a valid I-20 you are in a good standing while in US. To leave the country while you still have a pending AOS you would need to have an approved i-131 Advance Parole otherwise your case will be denied, if you haven't started your process yet would be really hard to have that approved before your trip in April. Also if you have a pending AOS you are no longer eligible to renew a non-immigrant visa such as F-1 but if you travel abroad having I-131 Advance Parole approved you won't need a visa to come back to US they will consider you are coming back for purpose to continue your AOS process so you won't need a valid visa only a valid passport.

Edited by deborabr

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.