duraaraa

Anyone with experience with Mongolia?

1 post in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am an American who lived in Mongolia for about a year and a half. I'm engaged to a Mongolian woman, who I lived with for about nine months. I am currently back in the U.S., and waiting for NOA2 for a K-1 visa.

Possible red flags are that she is 12 years older than I am (I was born 1987, she was born 1985.) She also has four children, but was never married. I absolutely love her children, and it's one of the things I enjoy the most about our relationship.

I helped her son apply for a B2 visa to do a homestay with my parents in the US over the summer (he was 13 at the time), but he was denied as a potential immigrant, given the reason "we don't give visas to children." Other than that, no history of denials. She doesn't even have a passport yet.

I am not an ethnic Mongolian (I'm English and Danish/Norwegian), but I speak Mongolian, and they do not speak English.

As for evidence, the strongest evidence is that I lived in Mongolia for so long. We know each other very well, and I'm not worried about her answering any questions about me. I wish I had taken more pictures, but we do not have a huge album full. I think she probably has around ten printed pictures with both of us in them, and we have tons of me with the kids (thanks to the Nintendo DS.)

We talk on the phone regularly (probably twice a week). Sometimes for as little as three to five minutes, sometimes for as long as thirty. I almost hate talking on the phone because it just reminds me of how much we miss each other.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Ulaanbaatar embassy. I have read reviews which say it went very well. I just have a bad taste in my mouth about her son's visa denial (Japan, ironically, was no problem... he has a Japanese visa.) I am also worried because they are a poor family, living in a traditional Mongolian ger(yurt/felt tent). I very much enjoyed living that lifestyle, but I don't think the U.S. embassy will see it as a good aspect.

I don't think there is any case they can make that it is fraud, since from what I can tell, fraud usually happens when the petitioner is older and it is hard to understand the applicant's attraction to the petitioner. In this case, I'm the young one.

Please let me know if anyone has any advice. If we are denied, I'll move back to Mongolia, but I would really, really like the ability to have both my future wife and my job.

Thanks for any advice!

What would Xenu do?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.