giving_up

what happens after parents get approved?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello! I'm planning to apply for my parents next month and was wondering what happens after they get approved. They're not ready to move to the States, I'm mostly applying so that my mom can enter the country legally to come visit us since her visa has been denied 3 times, but eventually both my parents will come live with me. Someone told me that once she gets approved she has to come here right away to live for 6 months and someone else just told her that she can stay in our home country and that I can mail her her green card and that she can come whenever she wants and stay for as long as she wants. What's the correct info? where can I find out more about this?

1)Once your parents receive their visas they have up to when said visas expire or the medicals they did expire to enter the US. Whichever comes first.

2)People who become LPRs must spend more time in the US than they do out and that is 6mths+ in one full year. If that doesn't happen and CBP catch on then they will either give those LPRs a warning or not grant them entry to the US because they are not using their GC to live in the US but instead are as a tourist visa.

3)Once your parents enter the US they can apply for a re-entry permit where when granted they can stay out of the country for at least a year at a time and still have their greencards be valid. Your parents may get up to 2 years out of the country if they apply for consecutive permits. Read & research this to know EXACTLY what are the procedures and allowances for the re-entry permit.

4)The info that someone else gave you is BS. Ignore it completely.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.