amberlynnloves

Abnormal Chest X-ray

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance had his medical exam on Monday. We got the results yesterday and it says that the Chest X-Ray was abnormal, but there were no signs of TB. He has a pacemaker and told the doctor and x-ray tech this. It doesn't say what the abnormality was.

Do you think this will cause a denial at the interview? He doesn't have TB or AIDS or anything like that. Just a pacemaker. So obviously the x-ray will not be normal.

I'm just freaking out here. Please help!

K-1 VISA ADVENTURE:
04-01-2012: Engaged in Detroit, Michigan at Comerica Park!
USCIS
05-02-2012: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
05-14-2012: Received Physical NOA1
08-09-2012: Received Physical NOA2
Montreal Embassy
08-21-2012: Package 3
09-06-2012: Package 4
11-12-2012: Medical in Toronto, Ontario (Approved-Went Well! Tip: Make sure you have ALL of your vaccinations up to date when you go to your medical exam! It CAN delay things.
11-19-2012: Interview in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
11-21-2012: Received Passport and Visa Package Back From Montreal (DHL/LOOMIS OPENED OUR SEALED ENVELOPE! SENT BACK TO MONTREAL ON 11-23-2012 TO BE RESEALED)
12-04-2012: Recevied resealed Visa package from Montreal
12-23-2012: POE: Port Huron, Michigan (Everything Went Great!)
02-16-2013: Wedding Date! We're MARRIED!

AOS

06-18-2013: Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06-20-2013: USPS Estimating Package Should Arrive in Chicago

06-24-2013: Received NOA Text and Emails for All Applications

06-27-2013: Received Physical NOAs for AOS, EAD and AP

07-16-2013: Biometrics Appointment

07-29-2013: I-485 Ready for Interview to Be Scheduled!!! YAY!!!! (No EXTREMELY Long Wait!)

08-02-2013: Received Mail with Interview Date!

09-03-2013: Interview in Detroit, Michigan (APPROVED!)

09-04-2013: EAD/AP Approved! (Even though it no longer matters because GC was approved the day before)

09-09-2013: Green Card mailed out via USPS 2-Day Air

09-11-2013: Received 2 Year Conditional Green Card in the Mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would be very very very surprised if the medical has been failed based only on an X-ray that doesn't show active TB. The pass/fail conditions for the medical are defined by law and are very specific. There is a specific and short list of conditions [active tuberculosis, certain STDs, drug use in the last 2 years] that trigger a failure. If you don't have one of those, you pass the medical.

In the worst case scenario, he may have a class B condition - a condition that doesn't cause a failure of the medical, but which they will require he seek immediate care for upon arriving in the US. Diabetes falls in to this category. I believe inactive TB does too. So might his heart condition.

Class B conditions only come close to affecting your visa issuance if they hugely increase the IO's estimate that the intending immigrant is likely to become a public charge, for example because the condition is something hugely expensive to treat like cancer and their sponsoring USC has no health insurance.

In this case, I am pretty sure the abnormality indicated simply is the pacemaker. I really don't think you have anything to worry about at this point, especially if your fiance will have access to your health insurance once you marry. I have Type II diabetes, and my USC now-wife wasn't working, so I wasn't going to have access to health insurance for quite a while after entry. The IO commented on this, but still let me in. You'll be fine.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Did they fail him? Or make him return? If not, you are fine. I had to go for 3 chest X-rays before I passed. I had an infection that I was unaware of. It was scary because they didn't tell me what it was...just that they saw something. After three trips to Toronto (4 hour drive each time). Was finally approved. I wouldn't worry if hey said no sign of tb.

My fiance had his medical exam on Monday. We got the results yesterday and it says that the Chest X-Ray was abnormal, but there were no signs of TB. He has a pacemaker and told the doctor and x-ray tech this. It doesn't say what the abnormality was.

Do you think this will cause a denial at the interview? He doesn't have TB or AIDS or anything like that. Just a pacemaker. So obviously the x-ray will not be normal.

I'm just freaking out here. Please help!

Aos:

10-01-12. Sent AOS, AP and EAD

10-09-12- Recieved NOA's for forms

10-24-12- Successfully walked in for biometrics (originally scheduled for 11-08-12)

11-26-12- Made info pass appointment for emergency advance parole. Denied, but agent called service center to request an expedite.

11-28-12- Agent at Infopass called me to let me know service center approved my request.

12-01-12- Advance parole received in the mail (2 page version, not combo card)

• 10 months later...
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I hope it is okay to revive this thread!

I am still waiting for our NO2, but I am looking ahead. I have tested positive for TB in the past (skin test), but my X-ray was fine. It is my understanding that once you test positive, you will always test positive. I am wondering if I will have to undergo treatment with inactive TB (someone here said that it is a class B condition). I have also read that as long as you get your doctor to make a note that it is inactive TB and that no further treatment is required, it should be fine. I would rather not take the medication if I don't need to. I remember my doctor saying it could cause liver damage, and it has to be done for nine months. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Edited by dianaguava
08/21/2013: I-129F sent
08/23/2013: I-129F delivered
08/28/2013: NOA1 text/e-mail received
09/03/2013: NOA1 hard copy received
10/28/2013: NOA2!
11/02/2013: NOA2 hard copy received

Timeline

I just read here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextoid=eea823a46fab4210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

that one can be medically cleared for immigration purposes. I also read that you only need a chest x-ray if you have a skin reaction of 5mm or more. When I last tested a few years ago, it was 2mm.

Do we still need to undergo treatment after moving to the US if we have inactive TB? Should I get an x-ray through my physician soon, and/or take the medication, or wait for the medical exam? I think I should be fine, but I would hate to have the process delayed by months if I find out at the medical exam that there's a problem with my lungs and I can't be cleared until I complete medical treatment.

Timeline

Oops, it was 5mm, not 2mm.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would wait til the medical exam. My mother is a carrier of TB (has had the skin test and tested positive) but has never had TB in her life. I don't even remember them asking any sort of questions about whether you have tested positive as a carrier for TB, at the medical exam. Perhaps do some more research online about that?

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.