un_conventional

Missing Biometrics Appt Last Minute + Travel Question

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

My husband has applied to remove the conditions on his Green Card. I have already rescheduled his biometrics appointment once, but now he is going to miss the rescheduled one because his job in Asia was extended. His appointment is Tuesday (today's Friday), a bit last minute to write in to reschedule. Should I call and tell them or is writing in still OK?

Two other questions:

1. His date of return is still uncertain, and he will only be back for a few days before we travel to a different part of the country. This means the next time he would be here and free to do appointments for more than a few day period would be January 8 2013. His green card expires Dec 3rd. He has the letter extending status for a year. Would it be OK to postpone biometrics till January? Seems easier.

2. It is possible he will return very close to or even after Dec 3rd. Will they have it on record that he has his status extended or should I Fedex the letter to Thailand to have with him while he's traveling?

Thanks for your help!

Brittany

He will definitely need the original letter when he gets ready to travel back to the U.S. CBP will have record of his extension at the POE but the airlines will demand to see the original letter before they'll let him board a US-bound flight.

I can't speak to the questions regarding biometrics scheduling. We did a walk-in on ours the day after we got the letter, a few weeks before the scheduled appointment.

Just out of curiosity, how long has your husband been out of the country?

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

He will definitely need the original letter when he gets ready to travel back to the U.S. CBP will have record of his extension at the POE but the airlines will demand to see the original letter before they'll let him board a US-bound flight.

I can't speak to the questions regarding biometrics scheduling. We did a walk-in on ours the day after we got the letter, a few weeks before the scheduled appointment.

Just out of curiosity, how long has your husband been out of the country?

Thanks for that!

So I will send him the original letter then to travel with.

Any other ideas on the biometrics appointment?

My husband will have been away two months by the time he gets back - two months too long in my book!

You may want to call about this. The danger here is that if they don't get your rescheduling request in time they'll consider the appointment missed—and a missed biometrics appointment leads them to consider the I-751 application abandoned. When that happens, his LPR status technically terminates immediately, meaning he can't work until you get it all sorted out. Tread very carefully here.

There's another current thread dealing with rescheduling biometrics here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/398924-biometrics-appt-for-751-bad-idea-to-reschedule/

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

You may want to call about this. The danger here is that if they don't get your rescheduling request in time they'll consider the appointment missed—and a missed biometrics appointment leads them to consider the I-751 application abandoned. When that happens, his LPR status technically terminates immediately, meaning he can't work until you get it all sorted out. Tread very carefully here.

There's another current thread dealing with rescheduling biometrics here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/398924-biometrics-appt-for-751-bad-idea-to-reschedule/

Thanks that's what I was thinking. Do I call the main 1-800-375-5283 number or is there a better one? I'm currently lost in phone bank limbo.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.