5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey again guys. So I have some updated info on my earlier questions. Sorry for driving you guys crazy with these questions. I just want to get this straight. So I am currently pending. I had the letters from the USCIS that said they received my package and then literally the day after got a letter for my biometrics, which I had just over a week ago. I am still currently in school taking 12 hours per f-1 student regulations. I told my international adviser that I was pending and if there was anything I needed to do as far as school records are concerned. She said I didn't need to fill out anything, but she would advise maintaining my student status until I get my GC. Now here is the thing I am confused about.... I planned to stay in school and maintain my 12 hours, I am not that far away from getting my bachelors, but when I receive my EAD wont my student status be void due to the fact that I will be working, which could potentially result in the school dropping all of my classes? I am completely confused. I thought when you were pending you could still be in school but not have to abide by the rules of a student status because you are not technically on one anymore. Could someone help clear this up for me? She seemed to think not maintaining student status would result in problems. Please help!

Thank you!

you are over reacting. I don't see any problem. they are not gonna drop your classes after your get your EAD

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: Timeline

my concern was that my adviser told me to maintain f-1 status until i receive the GC, but EAD comes before the green card, so from her point of view working voids the f-1 status.

Emzie:

I am an F1 student as well, and just filed for AOS in September. I also did not fill out anything as my adviser said I don't need to. She said the same thing as yours, just stay on F1 status as long as you don't get your GC. I am done with the biometrics appointment, and I've got the EAD card not long ago. I am still on F1, even though I have the EAD card, and I will register for next quarter too as an international student whether EAD card here or there. Don't worry, you will stay an F1 student as long as you legally don't go in there and show a proof that your status has changed. Getting an EAD card doesn't mean your status has changed...it just means you applied for EAD so that you could work off-campus, if you wanted. It is not equal to OPT where you have completed your status totally and is applying for EAD in order to be able to do another 17 months of on OR off campus work. Don't worry, you're fine!

All the best!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.